True cause of DXDI Device hung?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Greg8824

Re: True cause of DXDI Device hung?

Post by Greg8824 »

ChaosBreed wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:57 pm Hello everyone,

My PC specs are i7 8700k 3.7GHz, 9gb nVidia GTX 1080 ti, 16GB RAM

I'm having DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED errors at every single flight after I installed P3D v5.1.12.26829. I've been reading all the sources I found around the net. Here are the things I've tried.

Any suggestions would be nice. As far as I see, a lot of people are having this problem. So I don't have so much hope for this version of P3D. Waiting for the next client update.

Sorry for long post. Thanks all.
I have same system specs as you and had DXGI errors but found the main culprit was Rivatuner Server. Simply switching off 'on screen display support' for prepar3d.exe cured that (I still use it as the external fps limiter) But also I have seen DXGI error for the following reasons (after many hours of stable flights I began 'tweaking' more things and discovered other reasons that can trigger DXGI -

1) Messing about with shaders - always have a backup of ShadersHLSL directory to recover from any shader mods you might try but give problems.
2) Settings too high - Yes, if you have too high settings (especially autogen draw distance, scenery complexity) it can throw DXGI after an hour or so. Even though VRAM usage never >5GB and regardless if use steaming textures or not, it can still DXGI (I think this is P3D coding issue but as I can run setting reasonably high I can live with it)
3) Add-on not compatible

Good luck, I was very frustrated but no running very smooth and very good visuals now with same system spec as you.
VIPER 360

Post by VIPER 360 »

I can't find the Prepar3d.cfg file. where is it?
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

%AppData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

I suffered with DXGI crashes and it was resolved with a simple Registry edit. Full details in the link below. But importantly I’m still running Nvidia drivers 471.96. Running P3D only there are no problems with these older drivers.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6097 ... -solution/
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Ray, as I have been keeping Windows, and therefore also all versions of DirectX, updated, as well as the drivers for the various devices on my motherboard(s), I have never seen the DXGI device hung with any version of the nVidia drivers myself.

Have you ever as much as tried a more recent driver version?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

JorgenSA wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:29 pm Ray, as I have been keeping Windows, and therefore also all versions of DirectX, updated, as well as the drivers for the various devices on my motherboard(s), I have never seen the DXGI device hung with any version of the nVidia drivers myself.

Have you ever as much as tried a more recent driver version?

Jorgen
Nope. If it works leave well alone. It may be associated with the 1080Ti. In any case P3D is such a mature program I doubt any new drivers will Improve anything.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

Duplicate of
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=180
and possibly
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=15
Give TdrLevel (Registry) a chance.

DXDI_DEVICE_HUNG results from Windows not getting an answer from the device (graphics card) in a certain amount of time.
Why the graphics card doesn't answer ? I don't know.

For RTX 30xx, I've read recently about high spikes in power consumption that older supplies cannot deliver,
maybe that lead to short hangups of the graphics procesor ?

By increasing Windows TdrLevel or TdrDelay (see threads mentioned above and this one), you may get some relief depending on the cause of the GPU hung.
ghazestor

Post by ghazestor »

Does it run well with no crashes and smooth with no other programs open, with default weather. ActiveSky off and just nothing but the sim. Even fly a simple low usage A320.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

This issue is/was isolated to P3D v. 5.x, because it is/was a DX12 issue. DX12 is only used with v. 5, not with earlier versions.

The cure is to have:

1. Windows (10 or 11) updated to the latest level,

2. The latest nVidia driver,

3. The latest P3D version.

If these 3 conditions are met, then I have yet to see another issue of this.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
oriator

Post by oriator »

Thank you Marcus for your excellent post. Gives me hope as I saw P3D issues come and go with various NVIDIA drivers.
avviiator

Post by avviiator »

JorgenSA wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:21 pm This issue is/was isolated to P3D v. 5.x, because it is/was a DX12 issue. DX12 is only used with v. 5, not with earlier versions.

The cure is to have:

1. Windows (10 or 11) updated to the latest level,

2. The latest nVidia driver,

3. The latest P3D version.

If these 3 conditions are met, then I have yet to see another issue of this.

Jorgen
Hi, I have done all the above but can't seem to stop the error from appearing. It is also quite random which can be quite frustrating. My pc specs are i7-8700k, 16gb 3000mhz and a GTX 1080 ti, do I have to upgrade my pc or something in order for it to be gone? I run MSFS2020 on ultra settings without any issues but can't seem to make it work with p3d v5.3.
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

@avviiator, this workaround has worked for me with very similar hardware to your system. Please note I’m using old but stable drivers and run P3Dv5 only.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6097 ... -solution/
Ray (Cheshire, England).

oriator

Post by oriator »

I have been keeping Windows, and therefore also all versions of DirectX, updated, as well as the drivers for the various devices on my motherboard(s), I have never seen the DXGI device hung with any version of the nVidia drivers myself.

hellodear.in

tea tv apk
Chevalier

Post by Chevalier »

oriator wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:39 pm I have been keeping Windows, and therefore also all versions of DirectX, updated, as well as the drivers for the various devices on my motherboard(s), I have never seen the DXGI device hung with any version of the nVidia drivers myself.

hellodear.in

tea tv apk
I always keep Windows, programs, drivers, and all associated items updated on a regular basis (usually weekly checks). I've never had an issue with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error until this weekend. Since then I've rechecked and ensured all programs and drivers are current, and also uninstalled and did a clean install of my graphics drivers. As well, I made the suggested registry tweaks for TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay. I still am getting the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error. However, I (seem to have, anyway) narrowed it down to a particular addon: ActiveSky.

My system is a Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045; Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s); Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. I'm running P3Dv5.3.17.28160; LINDA 3.3.5.1363; FSUIPC6, Version 6.1.9; Orbx (BASE pack, openLC North America, Buildings HD, TerraFlora v2, Airport Pack); Chaseplane v1.2.58.0; ASP3D v1.0.8080.26231.

As long as ActiveSky is not loaded and running I can, once the sim has started and the scenario stabilized, pan around and about, and change views, rapidly and without errors. If, however, ActiveSky is loaded, changing views or panning about will at some point trigger the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error. (As I've said, this only just started this weekend). Location oddly seems to play a factor: If I start in my default location--Randolph AFB (KRND)--I hardly ever get this error, no matter how quickly I switch views. And if I go to Deelen (EHDL) it is the same. However, if I change to Banff (CYBA) that error occurs within moments of shifting views about.

This also seems to be effected by Chaseplane to some degree: I do not trigger the error if ActiveSky is running and Chaseplane isn't.

Not sure what to do or try next.
mqiuel

Post by mqiuel »

Same here. Active Sky, released some weeks ago a new beta version. I have made some flights with no problems since, but you never know...