Stutter every second - P3Dv5.1

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
danielwestdijk

Stutter every second - P3Dv5.1

Post by danielwestdijk »

Hello all,

The last two flights I have been plagued with a rather peculiar oddity. I load up my flight in the PMDG 737 ngxu, do a full preflight, take off and then I start to get stutters every second. i can hold a clock to it. Exactly 1 stutter per second. You can well imagine that flying under those conditions is not an option.

There is one remedy: quiting the sim and reloading. You can well imagine that I don't prefer to do that. There are several add ons I run that don't like me doing that (ACARS from VA for flight report and Self Loading Cargo).

Funny thing: after reloading, the problem is gone. So far it only seems to occur when I have P3D started the first time. The first flight it started on the take off role, the second time (the very next flight) it started to happen about 1 hr into the flight.

Yes, I have FSUIPC autosave turned on but this gives me a short stutter every 20 minutes (as I indicated to do it). Turning the function of does not mitigate the every-second-stuttering.

Neither does changing FPS limit or monitor refresh.

I have done some checks and I don't believe it is related to FPS, hardware bottleneck or anything. That remains constant all the way through. I currently have the FPS locked at around 30 and that stays constant.

Coretemp and afterburner don't give any indications the CPU or GPU is having troubles. temps and loads on both around 50% and 40-60 *C. All nice.

I fly for a VA and I have quite some programs running next to each other during a standard flight:

- P3Dv5
- ASP3D
- TrackIR4
- vPilot
- CP Flight driver for MCP
- SPAD.next
- Project Sky
- Chaseplane
- ACARS flight tracker (for VA)
- Self loading Cargo (newest add on)

I also run:
- ORBX: base. LC NA and EU, vector, HD buildings, no regions or true earth
- ENVTEX: envshade
- PMDG: 737 ngxu
- A lot of scenery / airport packages
- PFPX for flight planning and dispatching

SPECS:
i9-9900K boost on no external OC
32 Gb RAM
Win10 20H2
NVidia GeForce RTX 2080 super no OC
Gigabyte Z390 gaming X
Corsair RM750 PU
m.2 SATA Samsung 970 evoplus (WIn10)
m2. SATA Samsung 860 EVO (1TB) (P3dv5)
SATA Samsung 860 QVO (general storage)

I'd like to check whether a reinstall of the NVidia driver makes a difference.
I am interested in clues you might have on where I can find the cause of this issue and obviously how to remedy it. I am very much looking forward to reading your responses.

Happy new year to you all.
Teddy

Re: Stutter every second - P3Dv5.1

Post by Teddy »

Hi

Happens to my PC too. Not all the time. Sometimes the stutter starts right during pushback (maybe its there when p3d is loaded but can be noticed during movement only) and sometimes on finals . But once it shows up, rebooting is the only solution.

I have tried the latest nvidia driver too. It does not resolve the issue.

As keen as you to find a solution to the problem.

Regards
Ted
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Maybe the latest and greatest drivers from nVidia will not solve this issue, but for correct VRAM handling (the dreaded DXGI errors) I would absolutely recommend having those drivers (and Windows 10) updated to the latest level.

Daniel, you do have a lot of stuff running at the same time as P3D, because you do what you do. That could - maybe - be the cause of your stutters, because every little thing "steals" CPU cycles from P3D.

Ted, I would like to see your system specifications.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

JorgenSA wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:04 am Maybe the latest and greatest drivers from nVidia will not solve this issue, but for correct VRAM handling (the dreaded DXGI errors) I would absolutely recommend having those drivers (and Windows 10) updated to the latest level.

Daniel, you do have a lot of stuff running at the same time as P3D, because you do what you do. That could - maybe - be the cause of your stutters, because every little thing "steals" CPU cycles from P3D.

Jorgen
Single Seat 737 Trainer (Self built)
- Win10 Pro
- P3Dv5.1 HF1
- ASP3D
- vPilot as host
- Prosim737
- CFY TQ

Other softwre :
- ORBX: base. LC EU, vector, HD buildings, no regions or true earth
- A few sceneries / airport packages
- PFPX & TOPCAT
- Navigraph Simlink

SPECS:
i7-6700K o/c to 4.5GHz
16Gb RAM
GTX1080Ti
1 x LG 43" LED
m.2 SSD Samsung 970 evoplus (P3d)
Corsair Neutron GTX SS (Windows)

Could Navigraph Simlink be the suspect. In my case, I found that even though I did not have P3dv4 installed, Simlink for v4 was installed. Uninstalled for the time being.

Regards
Ted
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Ted,

Any add-on that "does" something could be suspect in this regard.

Scenery in general does not "do" anything, it just sits there, but loading of complex scenery could cause stuttering during loading. However, your hardware seems powerful enough for that not to be an issue here.

So Simlink could be a suspect, but at least vPilot and PFPX could also. And since all of these seem to me to be communicating over the Internet, there could be communication issues there also, from your computer all the way through the Internet to the remote servers - and then back again. Not to mention if they have to fight for communications port access.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
MPO910

Post by MPO910 »

Teddy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:08 am
JorgenSA wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:04 am Maybe the latest and greatest drivers from nVidia will not solve this issue, but for correct VRAM handling (the dreaded DXGI errors) I would absolutely recommend having those drivers (and Windows 10) updated to the latest level.

Jorgen
Single Seat 737 Trainer (Self built)
- Win10 Pro
- P3Dv5.1 HF1
- ASP3D
- vPilot as host
- Prosim737
- CFY TQ

Other softwre :
- ORBX: base. LC EU, vector, HD buildings, no regions or true earth
- A few sceneries / airport packages
- PFPX & TOPCAT
- Navigraph Simlink

SPECS:
i7-6700K o/c to 4.5GHz
16Gb RAM
GTX1080Ti
1 x LG 43" LED
m.2 SSD Samsung 970 evoplus (P3d)
Corsair Neutron GTX SS (Windows)

Could Navigraph Simlink be the suspect. In my case, I found that even though I did not have P3dv4 installed, Simlink for v4 was installed. Uninstalled for the time being.

Regards
Ted
Hi Ted.

You can try the following to avoid stutters:
  • Use ASP3D but do only open the TAB "HOME". I found the TABS who have "updating data" are havier on the cpu (I use VR and can see this in the SteamVR graph)
  • Uninstall Navigraph SimLink. I had stutters 2 years ago and never used it since then. Simlink is pulling data to push to navigraph. This can be demanding too
  • Turn off Intel speedstep and speedshift in your BIOS. Let the chip run on turbo mode all the time. This avoids the chip "jumping all the time up and down in ratio" and this can cause a small latency lag in your system
  • DON`t use any FiberFrameTimeFraction settings and also leave FFTS Dynamic off, if you are using this. Setting to low frametime values can take away to much scenery rendering time and therefor P3D could stutter as the most frames are used to gain fps instead of a healthy use of scenery AND fps
  • To high LOD and Scenery draw distances with to many objects (autogen) can also cause stutters if your system is not capable to render that much detail and objects
. Try LOD on Medium or High and AutoGenDrawDistance on Medium or High. Set all object sliders for scenery to normal and then test. You could go up each time if you are satisfied....but one slider and notch each time

These things helped me out to reduce stutters. Also I uninstalled ORBX HDBuildings as I find them to heavy on my CPU too. As I use VR I have to be very picky what to use and how to set it all up. But using 2D screens and a to heavy Sim setup can bring P3D to it´s knees too.

If you already knew this above, then sorry for writing. As I don´t have any background infos about your knowledge I decided to write this down.

If you need further help, just ask. I would be happy to help!
Marcus (EDDF)
Marcus P
Windows 10 Home 21H1
Build 19043.1586
Feature Exp. Pack 120.2212.4170.0
i9 10900K @ 5.0 Ghz | HT OFF | 1.32V
Mainboard ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula Z490
32 GB RAM 3600 Mhz
RTX 3090 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor
HP Reverb G2 VR HMD | Steam VR
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Great stuff, Marcus!

Jorgen

capteinjack737

Post by capteinjack737 »

Hello Guys,

I also have stutters, when wether my GPU Load is nearly 99%, and/or when my cpu , especially the Core0
is used more than 90%. (about 90%) or more.

Then stutters beginn without no end.
I have a high End System with 10900K up to 5,3Ghz OC, and a 3090 RTX. So far, I can fly through smooth, o nearly smooth, when I do not overload my CPU0 or my GPU. I always check these two things when Loading a new Flight (new Airport) and set then the graphics according to the power I have.

Most CPU is used by the sliders for autogen Builings and trees and Complexity. There I have sparse to medium. That keeps, especially my Core0 at about 60-80% usage. --> Stutterfree flying!

GPU can be higher, but that also needs CPU0 Core Power and ends up with stutters again.

One thing I did, what really helped me saving Core0 Power is setting my 4 Full HD Beamers to 30Hz.

Hope that helps somehow.
Regards
Jörg
P3D V5.2
Prosim
ORBX Scenery, Active Sky + Cloud Art - a lot of different Scenerys
10900K up to 5.2Ghz - RTX3090 - Z490 MB - 4 Full HD Beamer Optoma GT1080
BAKA-BOMB

Post by BAKA-BOMB »

It may be better to set AGL Height Scenerio to AGL Range feet 0 to 1000 rather than stop using FFTF Dynamic.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I actually ran into another post about this issue in another forum.

This was at flightsim.com's FSX forum, but the tip offered is valid here also.

Here is the complete post:

"I've had exactly the same thing with both FSX and DCS World and it turned out to be the anti-virus programs. I use Windows 10 default security (Defender?) as well as Malwarebytes. All stuttering disappeared as soon as I entered exclusions for the folders where the games are located"

Jorgen

BAKA-BOMB

Post by BAKA-BOMB »

When Hyper-Threading is turned on, does the stuttering tend to be rounded and turn into a lower FPS?

If FPS decreases but stuttering decreases, stress will also decrease.
BAKA-BOMB

Post by BAKA-BOMB »

I'm sorry. The compatibility between HT and v5 is the worst.
We should obediently drop the target frame rate to 20.

I also set the texture resolution to low-512x512 and don't use MIPMAP VC as it wastes memory.

Stuttering should be a problem with high-definition add-on aircraft.

Check if the VC texture has MIPMAP set in the aircraft folder.
High-definition add-on Without MIPMAP in aircraft VC textures, lowering the texture resolution does not reduce graphic memory usage. Stuttering doesn't stop either.

Significantly lowering the overall texture resolution will make the cockpit look unattractive. Adjust the MIPMAP level for each texture, or fix textures with low resolutions that are annoying with MIP1.

Find out about DDS texture formats and tools.

ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー

"The Blurries" - Allocating more CPU Time to the terrain texture loader
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 0699aada94
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Always remember that Google (at least sometimes) is your friend.

Use your favorite browser to search for this:

p3d stutters every second

and you will find answers galore.

Now, every installation is different in some way, so it is up to yourself to go through the various hits and try the solutions outlined.

Jorgen

PS: Al by all means also try the solutions that friend BAKA-BOMB outlined, thanks to him for posting these.

MPO910

Post by MPO910 »

Try turning off your in sim traffic sliders for ai and vehicles and please report back if this influences the stutter.

Marcus
Marcus P
Windows 10 Home 21H1
Build 19043.1586
Feature Exp. Pack 120.2212.4170.0
i9 10900K @ 5.0 Ghz | HT OFF | 1.32V
Mainboard ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula Z490
32 GB RAM 3600 Mhz
RTX 3090 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor
HP Reverb G2 VR HMD | Steam VR
pijnackerpilot

Post by pijnackerpilot »

I eventually found what the culprit was: Navigraph’s simlink. Stop it from the trey and after ending your flight, update it and you’re good!

Cheers,

Daniel W