VR setting : Hidden Area Mesh

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
fruffolo

VR setting : Hidden Area Mesh

Post by fruffolo »

With the HP Reverb VR headset I had to turn off the "hidden area mesh" in the v5.1 VR settings to avoid a reduced FOV with black bars at the sides.
However I cannot find a similar setting in P3D V4.5 under the VR settings. Is there another way to disable hidden area mesh in v4.5 as this version is now unusable for me in VR mode.
I am using both V4.5 and V5.1 since some add-ons I own only work under 4.5.
YoYo

Re: VR setting : Hidden Area Mesh

Post by YoYo »

As I remember no this option in v4. In v4 you have off always so with bigger FOV, like in v5 with off too. You dont need to turn if off in v4.
webmaster of www.yoyosims.pl
spec: W10, i9 9900K, RTX 3090, 32 RAM | P3Dv5 | VR only: HP Reverb G2
fruffolo

Post by fruffolo »

Unfortunately with the latest update with Steam VR the black mask reducing the FOV has recently appeared as enabled by default with p3d v4.5. Before the latest update to Steam VR/WMR it was not there.
Currently I have no way of disabling this hidden area mesh. The FOV reduction is really noticeable and reduces the FOV from around 95 degrees to around 75-80 degrees.
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

fruffolo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:32 pm Unfortunately with the latest update with Steam VR the black mask reducing the FOV has recently appeared as enabled by default with p3d v4.5. Before the latest update to Steam VR/WMR it was not there.
Currently I have no way of disabling this hidden area mesh. The FOV reduction is really noticeable and reduces the FOV from around 95 degrees to around 75-80 degrees.
I dont think that SteamVR did it (in different software) self. If yes you will recive this effect in all games even P3Dv5 ect. Unfortunately I don't have 4.5 on the disk right now to check it.

Maybe you turned on in Steam VR or your other VR software anti-epileptic effect or something like this? I remember there was something like this somewhere, so maybe this? Try to find it. I havent this issue in P3Dv4.5 (WMR).
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

btw. maybe you turned on something like this https://newatlas.com/columbia-universit ... ess/43855/ (anti nausea in VR)?
fruffolo

Post by fruffolo »

Nope no such option has been turned on.

As a matter of fact I am using the same Steam VR/WMR setup to run both V4.5 and V5.1. With V5.1 I am able to turn the mask on and off with the VR settings. With V4.5 the mask is on by default and I have no way of turning it off.

I've read that the mask is provided by the OpenVR API which is used by P3D via Steam VR. OpenVR enables the mask by default unless the calling application(P3D) disables it via an API call. In V5.1 this is accomplished via the VR settings.