I can not disable HDR Lighting V5.1

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Alox

I can not disable HDR Lighting V5.1

Post by Alox »

It is normal that I can not disable HDR Lighting in V5.1.

Regards.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: I can not disable HDR Lighting V5.1

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

HDR lighting is now always active when Enhanced Atmospherics is on. To turn off HDR you will need to disable Enhanced Atmospherics.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Alox

Post by Alox »

Ok, Thanks. Regards.
Alox

Post by Alox »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:41 pm Hello,

HDR lighting is now always active when Enhanced Atmospherics is on. To turn off HDR you will need to disable Enhanced Atmospherics.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob,

I've never liked using HDR in Prepared for me looks unrealistic (too shiny or dark) besides that I can more easily perceive some imperfections in the objects.

What will happen to users who want to enjoy the EA option but they don't like the HDR option. You would be pushing us to leave this software.

The only good and new thing in this version for me was the EA option and now I can't enjoy it.

What is the technical concept that we are obliged to use HDR with EA?.

Regards.
Solu

Post by Solu »

Alox wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:36 am
Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:41 pm Hello,

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob,

I've never liked using HDR in Prepared for me looks unrealistic (too shiny or dark) besides that I can more easily perceive some imperfections in the objects.

What will happen to users who want to enjoy the EA option but they don't like the HDR option. You would be pushing us to leave this software.

The only good and new thing in this version for me was the EA option and now I can't enjoy it.

What is the technical concept that we are obliged to use HDR with EA?.

Regards.
I don´t understand why LM did this.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

We decided to always enable HDR when Enhanced Atmospherics is enabled because the the techniques used for rendering clouds and the more physically based values used for sun/moon light intensity need an HDR image buffer to work properly. You can disable the bloom and auto-exposure options which will reduce the GPU work and visual impact of the HDR effect.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Bedoy

Post by Bedoy »

Beau Hollis wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:45 am We decided to always enable HDR when Enhanced Atmospherics is enabled because the the techniques used for rendering clouds and the more physically based values used for sun/moon light intensity need an HDR image buffer to work properly. You can disable the bloom and auto-exposure options which will reduce the GPU work and visual impact of the HDR effect.
I Beau/Rob.

I am an older person that don't like to use HDR with EA in prepar3d V5.1, i believe out side of these forum there must be more like us.
My request is that in the next hotfix you should keep this option like it was before, because since its launch this was how it was established.
Now you can't tell us after six months of purchasing the software that EA is only going to work with HDR. Since April I never saw a warning message from you about this point.

What would you feel or act if you buy a car and when you receive it comes without a functionality that was described in the data sheet.

Regards.
simon747

Post by simon747 »

Much agreed; in v5.0, I managed to get the VC's looking great with HDR off with EA mode on; real shame you cannot disable HDR in EA mode now. Will stick with 5.0 unfortunately.

Simon Hickson
Alox

Post by Alox »

Please help us with this request, we should run EA with all its benefits without using HDR again.

P3D V5 + EA without HDR, looks good (Natural)t:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmtu27evkksll ... F.jpg?dl=0

P3D V5 + EA with HDR, looks cinematic (shiny/dark):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gswtlb60fuyi ... N.jpg?dl=0

Regards.
MediumRareBaku

Post by MediumRareBaku »

Having HDR forced on is extremely frustrating and I hope there's a way around this in the future to use EA with HDR off
carl8

Post by carl8 »

Hi Forum,
since I installed p3d V5.1, the screen is black, the menu is available. The preview window for the planes shows nothing. My graphics card is the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super, the latest drivers are installed. Any idea what the problem is? Thank you Carl8
Solu

Post by Solu »

simon747 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:37 pm Much agreed; in v5.0, I managed to get the VC's looking great with HDR off with EA mode on; real shame you cannot disable HDR in EA mode now. Will stick with 5.0 unfortunately.

Simon Hickson
Much agreed.
MELKOR

Post by MELKOR »

MediumRareBaku wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:03 am Having HDR forced on is extremely frustrating and I hope there's a way around this in the future to use EA with HDR off
Agreed. I like the look of EA, but HDR looks absolutely horrible on my monitor and causes my framerate to tank (and I've got an RTX 2080 Super!)

LM, please undo this! HDR should still be configurable when EA is enabled.

Thanks.
unairspce

Post by unairspce »

To disable HDR when EA is on you will have to modify HDR=1 to HDR=0 in prepar3d.cfg.
TAMR

Post by TAMR »

The HDR=0 trick works great for me but only temporarily. After switching from an internal view to an external one a few times the textures will reload and I'll be back to EA off and HDR off. The only fix to this is to close the sim and go fix the .cfg. Anyone else have this issue?