VR P3Dv5 HT1 - nice work!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
YoYo

VR P3Dv5 HT1 - nice work!

Post by YoYo »

Thank You for work on VR Mode, Im very happy what I have now! Nice, stable FPS, smooth view and working 2D panels.
Good job!

Meybe it was short test - 30 minutes flight in VR only but I didnt notice any issue :).

Just id like to have enhanced atmosphere=ON with Single Pass,
Stereo eats a lot FPS, so here I see big fps drop (unplayable now). Hope in the next patch!

Thx again!
webmaster of www.yoyosims.pl
spec: W10, i9 9900K, RTX 3090, 32 RAM | P3Dv5 | VR only: HP Reverb G2
RCFlyer

Re: VR P3Dv5 HT1 - nice work!

Post by RCFlyer »

Agree with YoYo. Well done LM.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

You're very welcome. Sorry it wasn't this good on day one. Thank you very much for your feedback and testing.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

As I reported in another thread, my performance in VR is terrible ( partial-second pauses (not stutters) in some combos of single-pass/stereo or single/double OSDM) right after doing a full update (client, content, scenery) to v5HF1. I even let it rebuild Prepar3D.cfg
It is so "weird" how some (yoyo, in particular, who also has a Reverb v2 ) can have such a good experience and some/many of the rest of us have the exact opposite experience. Most of us who are performance oriented ( and have a startup benchmark ) made absolutely no changes to our settings and configurations - we simply uninstalled the last version and installed the new version. We immediately notice something is wrong and try a few other things but we really shouldn't have to (or want to ) alter any settings to get at least as good performance as before the HF. All I can think of is maybe the SteamVR beta version (I am using 1.12.2 ) or more likely, the Nvidia driver version - I am using 445.87
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD
phogarty

Post by phogarty »

It’s neither steam vr beta or Nvidia drivers. I only updated to the beta from 1.11.1 after the HF and it’s equally as poor. Nvidia drivers were great before HF too.
I’m convinced it’s something within the HF.
Cheers
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Ok, here my settings.

I did 3,5h flying hours till now, no any CTD with HT1, no any issue, sharp textures, smooth picture with stable 45/90 FPS as it was for my refresh rate. I used 2D panels (now clickable), AI traffic and ATC during flight. Works fine for me.

Windows Mixed Reality.

Firstly I did full install of P3Dv5 HT1 like here https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 48#p215989 . I have now few A2A addons, FSGU NG2020 mesh, ORBX: Global, Regions, LC + few airports, FSUIPC6 full version, Spad.Next, SODE, few Drzewiecki Design airports also.

P3Dv5 HT1 settings:

Notice: small resolution on 2D screen (windowed mode, my 2D screen is 2460x1440 pxt G-sync, but for VR I dont need it for sure), mostly I use VR only in 99% of time.

Notice: in section [TERRAIN] Prepar3D.cfg I have LOD_RADIUS=8.500000 (edited manually for better distance loading mesh and textures) , Enhanced Atmospherics = OFF because it only works with Stereo mode now so it eats a lot of FPS. Im waiting for next HT2 for this :).

VR Settings in P3Dv5:

Steam VR + Steam VR WMR beta up to date (driver also):

Image Image

Motion Reprojection as auto:

Image Image

And if You want NVidia Inspector:

Image Image Image

It works fine for me, a lot better than it was before HT1. 90-144 FPS on 2D screen (non VR), stable 45 or 90 in VR mode without any stutter.

Hope it helps.
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

I would like to know the differences in this new VR setting option - SyncMode: Update and Pre Render. I use as it was default - Update option.
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Btw. with Pre Render option FPS goes crazy and motion reprojection has problem to stay with stable FPS and smooth view. With Update option - smooth picture, motion reprojection works as it should and max FPS to refresh rate of my VR. This option works for me without any issue.
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Cant edit my instruction from post higher, but if you have still small stutter in VR WMR try this:

1/ use "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector" from default.vrsettings (forced) but it affects for your ALL simulators or games.

OR

2/ delete or make inactive by " \\ " this entry "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto" from default.vrsettings (path \Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings)

and use this settings from Picture of options WMR Steam VR (not "turn ON" but "Forced Turn ON"), it cut FPS to half your refresh rate, smooth picture with no jumping FPS so no stutter:

it affects only your P3D.exe. To do it P3D must runs as VR Mode.
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@Yoyo,
Thanks very much for the screen captures of your settings - but I would also like to know more about your PC system:

1) Which Nvidia driver are you using
2) What elements does your PC have - CPU at what Ghz, graphics card and drivers, RAM speed
3) What is this OpenVR - I thought that you were using a HP Reverb HMD

Thanks again for all your effort - this is very puzzling because I had great performance on my system before the Hotfix except for the jitter with head rotation. Now we are having problems! I will try to duplicate your setup as much as possible and retest.

Dave W.
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

whitav8 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:16 pm @Yoyo,
Thanks very much for the screen ....
Dave, I dont think it's a detail of hardware. You have strong PC also for Reverb and DX12 (which is causing even more improvement in FPS), so you can recive stable 45 FPS to have smooth view. If something is wrong - according me its a software problem / collides with something .

What is important - Single Pass, SyncMode: Update and "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector" or "auto" in WMR Steam VR (better to have forced ON). Try it.

For your question (you have it in my signature):
1/ 442.50,
2/ no any OC: i9 9900K, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB GDDR6, Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3200MHz, 32Gb (2x16), Dual Channel
3/ yes - VR HP Reverb v2, Windows Mixed Reality + Steam VR WMR.

but in my opinion this is of secondary importance, DirectX12 does the job with perfomance.
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

Yoyo,
Thanks for the response! I am still setting up as much as possible like you are - I am digging for details I know - but you say everything is OK but there are several of us (look at thread p3Dv5HF1 performance is terrible ) that were OK with the original release except for the jitter of the head tracking ( you had the same problem - I saw it in the forums ) but with the latest HF1, we are having significant problems. I'll keep looking. I did find the dll that you provided the Properties Detail for. it is this file:

driver_Holographic.dll which is located in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64

Mine also says 1.1.207

I will go back to Nvidia driver 442.50 as well. Of course, as far as performance, you have a 2080ti and I have just a 2070. I went back to the nonbeta version of SteamVR so that I am using 1.11.11

One more question: do you use the GitHub "OpenVR-Advanced Settings" extension for more VR settings on the SteamVR Dashboard? I have been but I am going to deschedule it. I wonder if that has an effect.

Thanks much

Dave W.

By the way, what SteamVR SS value do you use - other than 100% for the Reverb?
I get way too much "brightness" with HDR, do you have some other setting that lowers the brightness
Last edited by whitav8 on Sat May 02, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

whitav8 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:50 pm One more question: do you use the GitHub "OpenVR-Advanced Settings" extension for more VR settings on the SteamVR Dashboard? I have been but I am going to deschedule it. I wonder if that has an effect.
No, I dont use it.
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@yoyo,
I am currently getting smoother results with your settings and with that Advanced Settings dashboard extension descheduled (it uses a nopenVR_api.dll (any conflict??)). Also, I made sure to start again with uninstalling the v5HF1 Client, then rebooting, then installing the Client again, and again rebooting. I will keep testing and report. I haven't yet changed back to 442.50 Nvidia driver.

On a different subject, I edited my above entry to ask you about the "brightness" of HDR which seems too much for me. Also, about what SteamVR SuperSample value you use.

Finally (for now), what about your NV Inspector settings - what are you trying to do there?

Thanks much

Dave W.
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@Yoyo,
OK - I'm pretty happy now - I can make a complete flight in the Quality Wings 787 (no need really for a new installer ) with v5HF1. The performance is just barely above 45fps ( i.e. some occasional stutters looking out the side window ) and quite smooth generally. Thanks for documenting ALL of your settings for us so we have something to check against.

I haven't yet taken the time to try to make it "fail" again (massive partial second stutters on takeoff !!! ) but if I work back to what I had originally, maybe I will find it. It could have just been the lack of rebooting after the original install of the v5HF1. Or the use of the GitHub "Advanced Settings for OpenVR" on my SteamVR dashboard. Or the use of SteamVR Beta 1.12.12?? Or....

Thanks again
Dave W.
Last edited by whitav8 on Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.