NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 stopped working DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
JoeFremont

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 stopped working DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by JoeFremont »

HI LM,

I was trying out the new V5 last night and kept getting the following problem that would come up in a dialog.

This device (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Do you want to exit Prepar3d? Click Yes to exit, No to disable redering to this device, or Cancel to keep using this device (Prepar3d may crash)

[ Yes ][ No ][ Cancel ]

I installed the new sim and have left it basically original except for installing FSUIPC 6. I did an initial flight between KBFI Seattle and CYYJ Victoria using the Maule and that worked OK. Then I tried a second flight between KLGA La Guardia and KBOS Boston using the L049, it would fly for a while and then that message started coming up. I would push cancel twice and then the sim would CTD. I rebooted several times but the same result, I never did get to KBOS.

The system is about 3 years old, Alienware laptop, top of the line when V4 came out. I am able to use P3D 4.5 and MSFS2020 without any problems. Advice on what to do would be appreciated.

PC Spec:
CPU Intel i7-7829HK @ 2.9 GHz
Video Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
RAM 32 Gb
Win 10
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 stopped working DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Beau Hollis »

Do you have the ATC window open? If so can you try closing it and seeing if this error goes away? There is a known issue with ATC causing a device hung error. We are looking into it.

Also, do you still get this without FSUIPC?

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
JoeFremont

Post by JoeFremont »

Beau Hollis wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:09 pm Do you have the ATC window open? If so can you try closing it and seeing if this error goes away? There is a known issue with ATC causing a device hung error. We are looking into it.

Also, do you still get this without FSUIPC?

Thanks
Yes, I did have ATC open, I was doing an IFR approach, where the first flight was VFR and I just had the ATC window open for a short time. I will also retest keeping ATC open but deactivating FSUIPC, but FSUIPC was installed on my flight that worked.
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

I had hoped this crash would vanish with v5. I spent a solid 3 months doing 100s of tests and attempting to stop these crashes over 2 years ago. Wiped my system 4 times and tried W8.1, an old W10 (1703 Build and old drivers as many claimed newer drivers or updates were to blame), W10 current with Windows downloading drivers, W10 with drivers from motherboard website. Underclocked cpu and gpu, tried every nVidia driver out there for my 1080ti, tried a vanilla installation, no addons installed and freshly a formatted and fully up to date Windows installation and I still got Device Hung crashes. I was so close to throwing my pc out the window. The ONLY thing that worked was to use MSI Afterburner and reduce the GPUs Power Limit to 70%. Increasing power limits or voltages made the error occur quicker. I havent had a crash since, with the exception of 2 nights ago after enabling the sharpening option in the nVidia Control Panel (now removed that again).

Chris
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Are you able to get a crash with the ATC window closed? I'm just trying to see if this is a the same ATC/Scaleform crash we are currently working to resolve, or if this is a new issue.
Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
dutchkip

Post by dutchkip »

I've got the same problem. I managed to get it going by changing the cfg file ([USERINTERFACE]
SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW= ) from 1 to 0 which will let me start at some airbase in a fighter jet.
It crashes like original poster when I want to change aircraft.

Using win10pro
I7-9700K
32GB Ram
RTX2080 Super

Leo de Haan
Scotland
JoeFremont

Post by JoeFremont »

I am happy to report that I did the same flight as I did yesterday, the L-049 from KLGA to KBOS with the one difference of not opening the ATC window and was able to complete the flight without mishap.

Sorry I could not test it sooner, actually had to work during the day and SWMBO wanted some TV time before I could get the computer time.
grandfred29

Post by grandfred29 »

if you have a nvidia profile, reset it because nvidia profile use your v4 setting on V5, you can't have two dedicated profil in nvidia
CTVredvirus

Post by CTVredvirus »

Beau Hollis wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:56 pm Are you able to get a crash with the ATC window closed? I'm just trying to see if this is a the same ATC/Scaleform crash we are currently working to resolve, or if this is a new issue.
Thanks
I do have get the same error, no atc window open, I use the same settings as in p3d v4.5 except enhanced atmospherics which is set to medium. when the crash occurs the memory used from the gpu is below the max. With enhanced atmospherics disabled the simulation is not as fluent and the fps jumps from 18-55, very erratically.
OCZ 1250W, Asus Maximus X formula, Intel 8086k, 32GB Ram, RTX 2080.
P3D addons: PMDG 737ngx, 777, 747, 737ngxuORBX Global, eurpoe, vector and ESSA, AS, FS2CREW, UT LIVE, P3Dv4 and 5. CLS-E MK II RUDDER WITH TOE BRAKES & CLS-E MK II BUNDLE
CTVredvirus

Post by CTVredvirus »

I remember that i was changing views a couple of times before the device hung error.
OCZ 1250W, Asus Maximus X formula, Intel 8086k, 32GB Ram, RTX 2080.
P3D addons: PMDG 737ngx, 777, 747, 737ngxuORBX Global, eurpoe, vector and ESSA, AS, FS2CREW, UT LIVE, P3Dv4 and 5. CLS-E MK II RUDDER WITH TOE BRAKES & CLS-E MK II BUNDLE
daytona125

Post by daytona125 »

I'm getting the same problem. I am using V R (just barely working) when it happened to me.I think we are the beta testers.....
CVGridley

Post by CVGridley »

I also experienced this crash after a few minutes of flying with ATC window open. Did not experience it previously without ATC, however flights were short without ATC. I also have GTX 1080 with an I7-7700k @ 4.7ghz.
PurdueKev

Post by PurdueKev »

I am experiencing the same issue - sorry, I created a new thread earlier today because my initial search for this bug came up empty. My post is below:
I am running latest v5.0 on Windows 10.0.18362, on a Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 with an i7-8700k overclocked to 5.0GHz. Graphics is a Titan Xp running the latest 445.87 drivers. My v5 install is mainly vanilla but with ChasePlane running Trackir, Orbx Global and openLC installed. No edits to prepar3d.cfg or anything.

I am getting error messages as in the Subject line that crash the system anytime I am using ATC windows. I can usually get through a few responses back and forth with the AI ATC, and then I will get this message. Happens with different aircraft, both A2A and default.
viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=137093

I could reproduce that this happens every time I use the ATC windows; usually I get through a minute or two of interactions with the ATC menus, and then I get the error and crash. I also notice the ATC menu text flashing every few seconds while it is up before the crash.
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

This happens also without ATC window. Simply when the vram overloads. Quite a few ppl report this in our community too and i can reproduce this to 100%.

Installed/used items:

- ORBX OpenLC NA
- ORBX Global Base
- LatinVFR KFLL
- Chaseplane
- Majestic Dash-8

With this settings (see below) if i spawn at KFLL on the active runway i get around 5.5 GB load on gpu (RTX 2080). As soon i turn the cam towards the airport it goes up to the allocated max of 6.6 GB and same second the device hang popup appears.

KFLL on spawn

P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
PurdueKev

Post by PurdueKev »

Senchay wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:41 pm This happens also without ATC window. Simply when the vram overloads. Quite a few ppl report this in our community too and i can reproduce this to 100%.

Installed/used items:

- ORBX OpenLC NA
- ORBX Global Base
- LatinVFR KFLL
- Chaseplane
- Majestic Dash-8

With this settings (see below) if i spawn at KFLL on the active runway i get around 5.5 GB load on gpu (RTX 2080). As soon i turn the cam towards the airport it goes up to the allocated max of 6.6 GB and same second the device hang popup appears.

KFLL on spawn

You are correct - I just had the same error again and never touched ATC.