Does P3D v5 Support SLI

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
bnash00

Does P3D v5 Support SLI

Post by bnash00 »

Hi quick question,

Does P3D v5 Support SLI? I have two Titan X's in SLI configuration. I can't seem to get SLI working. I assume not, thought I would ask.

Thank You
Benjamin Nash
glapira4

Re: Does P3D v5 Support SLI

Post by glapira4 »

Hi Guys,

same here... I have 2x2080ti and I don-t seem to be getting any usage on the second card.

Any idea? Is SLI supported?

Thanks a lot.
Giorgio La Pira
Gaya Simulations
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

In D3D12 SLI is called Linked Node Multi-Adapter, and it's a core part of the API, rather than being a driver feature. We do not utilize it yet, but we do plan to add support in a future point release. Our new rendering engine is already built with basic support for linked node adapters, but they are not used because we still need to implement something like alternate frame rendering (AFR) in our engine in order to get performance gains. We used driver-based AFR in v4. The good news is that, when we do add this, we expect scaling to be much better than v4 because we have direct control over how it works.

If you plan to use 2 views on two displays, I suggest disabling SLI. We have seen very good performance scaling in this configuration. To test it out:
- Disable SLI
- Plug one monitor into each GPU
- Enable the Auto-fill desktop view group

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
bnash00

Post by bnash00 »

Thank you for the reply Beau. I just wanted to congratulate you and the other developers on P3D v5. The performance gains are a dream come true. You guys did an outstanding job with this release.

Thank you
Benjamin Nash
JuriA340

Post by JuriA340 »

Beau Hollis wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:20 pm In D3D12 SLI is called Linked Node Multi-Adapter, and it's a core part of the API, rather than being a driver feature. We do not utilize it yet, but we do plan to add support in a future point release. Our new rendering engine is already built with basic support for linked node adapters, but they are not used because we still need to implement something like alternate frame rendering (AFR) in our engine in order to get performance gains. We used driver-based AFR in v4. The good news is that, when we do add this, we expect scaling to be much better than v4 because we have direct control over how it works.

If you plan to use 2 views on two displays, I suggest disabling SLI. We have seen very good performance scaling in this configuration. To test it out:
- Disable SLI
- Plug one monitor into each GPU
- Enable the Auto-fill desktop view group

Thanks
Does this include possible VRAM sharing/pooling across card? There seems to be some confusion on the matter, if RTX Cards (2070S, 2080S, 2080 Ti) are able to double your VRAM in NVLink.
danosti

Post by danosti »

Hi Beau,
I have a question regarding 3 monitors with 2 GTX 1080ti cards .
What would be the the best plug in configuration and setup in windows and P3d for
3 monitors .
Cheers DANIEL
WrongWay

Post by WrongWay »

Beau Hollis wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:20 pm In D3D12 SLI is called Linked Node Multi-Adapter, and it's a core part of the API, rather than being a driver feature. We do not utilize it yet, but we do plan to add support in a future point release.
Can you please provide an update on this? Has this been implemented yet? Or has a time frame for implementation been adopted yet?

With the shortage of new graphics card at present, this is more and more becoming a really attractive feature, if we can purchase an older card to pair with our current card.

Thanks.
Version: P3Dv5.4 and P3Dv6, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.5 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080, RAM: 32GB, MONITOR: 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

WrongWay,
This has not been implemented yet. It's still something we plan to do, but I can't provide any specifics on a time frame.

DANIEL,
I usually put two monitors on one GPU and one on the other. If you're a VR user, make note of which GPU your HMD is connected to. Your main app window will need to be on a monitor connected to that GPU for VR to work properly.

JuriA340,
Will VRAM be doubled? That's a bit nuanced, but the simple answer is not for our use case. Even on newer GPUS, the best practice for alternate frame rendering is still to keep separate copies on each GPU and explicitly copy any inter-frame-dependent data. I believe there are some Compute/AI use cases where the benefits of working with a large dataset do outweigh the performance costs of streaming data between GPUs on-demand.
Beau Hollis
ldallara

Post by ldallara »

Hi, are there news on SLI support? If it is not yet available, can you know more or less when it is implemented?
mafeistswiss

Post by mafeistswiss »

Hello together,

any news on that topic?
We have a 3x Full HD beamer setup with intels latest generation of processing, Nvidea's 3080 and fast (enough) RAM. Graphic Card and Processor on 80-100% Load.

Alternatively, more PC's running the system?

Thanks
Martin
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Sorry. I don't have any new information to share regarding SLI.
Beau Hollis