V5 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' 8GB VRAM

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: V5 'dedicated graphics memory has run out' 8GB VRAM

Post by Beau Hollis »

I was thinking about this though, and why would the system even allocate (or claim to have) the 16gb of shared ram if it's never going to be used when the physical is about to go over budget? In other words, why doesn't the system, and additional apps, use the shared ram and leave all the dedicated to the main program being run that will make the most of it? And why on earth doesn't the DirectX start rejecting the unused stuff in the Vram faster?
The short answer is that Dx11 drivers do this, and Dx12 drivers don't.

Dx12 drivers are faster because they do very little tracking and validation of resource usage. So the cost of the power and flexibility is a bunch of new responsibility on the rendering engine. For the first release, our focus was on optimizing performance for the case where settings and content are tuned to keep within the dedicated memory budget. We are working to optimize gpu resources usage for the upcoming hot fix and will continue to focus on performance with future releases.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

Thank you for explaining.

I bet it is not the most easy thing to find the balance there, keeping all customers in focus. I saw this as a big problem too the first days but my meaning changed a bit by now.

Atm i have also a RTX 2080 with 8 GB Vram, near to 30 addon-airports installed + ORBX Regions, pretty high settings and the only airports that cause me trouble are LatinVFRs. Even FT KLAS had 1.4 GB left, with many things in the KLAS config active, including PBR city. With ORBX California. I have even clouds and thirdparty sky installed by now in 2k. I run in WQHD with 2k textures btw and still one of the more detailed airports work very well. As well as all other airports ive tested like FlightBeam airports (whole catalog), also earlier hardcore airports like FT CYYZ work flawless and with 2GB left in my current settings (see below).

Nowhere i reach the 6.6 GB usage, besides said LatinVFR airports (LEMD, KMIA, KFLL) (in Dash 8 + A2A comanche). Maybe it changes with planes like PMDG but atm i dont see much reason to escalate this into something that will be same like v4 in regards to performance. For the fact i fly in pretty high settings it runs pretty smooth and i would rather decrease my settings a bit when i fly on problematic airports as to have the same low performance again like in v4.

But of course i believe when others say they have problems, i can imagine that one can easily overload the vram. Ive seen it myself.

Anyway, i trust you will find the balance ^^

- FT KLAS
- ORBX openLC + California (S + N)
- Skyforce Sky
- Chaseplane
- Envshade
- SSAA x2
- Majestic Dash 8

With settings

PS: i can only make arguments and comments seeing my own situation. If people with lower end GPUs (or even higher ones) OOM on every end (outside LatinVFR addons) of course they have all right to talk about their problems. I dont want to make it sound like there would be no problem and its user fault.

PS 2: i would love to see a way to let us set how much VRAM we want to let in reserves. Like ppl with a 4GB GPU see P3D with 3.5GB addressed (500 MB left) but users of 8GB see 1.4 GB left (6.6/8GB). So it would be great if Windows lets us adjust this value. Because it seems that its able to run with only 500 MB left, so why can 8GB users not also set it in a way that 500MB will be left.
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

The budget is set by Windows and may vary based on how much the OS and other apps are using. Early reports indicate that Win10 2004 is using a fixed budget for the OS rather than % of the total VRAM. As a result users reporting they get higher budgets after updating.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
RobCom

Post by RobCom »

Beau Hollis wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:36 am
I was thinking about this though, and why would the system even allocate (or claim to have) the 16gb of shared ram if it's never going to be used when the physical is about to go over budget? In other words, why doesn't the system, and additional apps, use the shared ram and leave all the dedicated to the main program being run that will make the most of it? And why on earth doesn't the DirectX start rejecting the unused stuff in the Vram faster?
The short answer is that Dx11 drivers do this, and Dx12 drivers don't.

Dx12 drivers are faster because they do very little tracking and validation of resource usage. So the cost of the power and flexibility is a bunch of new responsibility on the rendering engine. For the first release, our focus was on optimizing performance for the case where settings and content are tuned to keep within the dedicated memory budget. We are working to optimize gpu resources usage for the upcoming hot fix and will continue to focus on performance with future releases.
Excellent explanation, thanks sir.
ASUS Z690 Apex ; 12900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 ; ASUS RTX 4080 OC ; Creative SB Audigy Rx
signmanbob

Post by signmanbob »

I'm having the same memory shortage problem and I have 64Gigs of RAM and a nVidia GeForce RTX2080 graphics card. I am using Windows 10 Pro.
I installed the Client (34874). Will I need to do a full re-install?
ironcondor

Post by ironcondor »

I have the same issue that just started happening. Any way of resolving this? 8GB of VRAM. Happens at default airports and payware. My settings are medium (sliders somewhere in the middle).

Should we update to Windows Build 2004?
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, AMD 6900XT, 32GB of RAM, 1200 Watt PSU, 2TB NVME primary drive, Liquid Cooled.
scubaboy

Post by scubaboy »

I have seen now when running v5 HF1 & Win10 2004, that as I fly along with at least 500MB to 1GB of GPU memory free, as I approach
a high-density scenery area, when it actually starts loading, P3D can crash due running out of GPU memory so fast that I do not see the
change in the GPU memory used before the crash happens. But lowering settings does fix the problem.

Also, I do a lot of Alt-Enter going between window and fullscreen mode. When I do this I see GPU memory usage momentarily go up
by at least 500MB, and then back down to the same as it was. I have had this cause a crash due to running out of GPU memory.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

@Ironcondor,

Should you update to Win 10 2004?

Well, that is your choice, but first look out here for the reports of many bugs that Microsoft has yet to fix, and then make your own decision.

I have updated, but maybe you should wait until Microsoft has come out with the June updates, which should be on the 9th of June.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
nfinger

Post by nfinger »

I am having the same issue. Is there a solution for this where one can adjust the VRAM allocation. I got the error after exceeding 6GB out of allocated 22GB GPU memory.
Norbert
nobleair.net
ftnet305

Post by ftnet305 »

Same issue here. Setting everything up, fixing issues and installing all the addons takes it´s time. If there would not always be that feeling like what will be the next bug? Just flew about 10 min and the feeling of immersion was just great. But of course everything crashed with the aforementioned memory thing. GPU usage in P3D showed 2.9 / 5.2.......
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

miseb79 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 pm I have same problem with NVIDIA 6GB card, it doesnt matter if I fly with complex aircraft addon or default from P3D. I have ORBX base pack installed. Sometimes I cannot even takeoff and it hung up. I tried various graphic settings, cannot reproduce error, it looks like it is appearing randomly.
@miseb79 ,

Which P3D product version (number) are you using?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
robs113

Post by robs113 »

I am seeing the same issue with RTX2070, P3Dv5 HF2 and Win 10 build 2004.

I have yet to complete a flight in P3d v5 without a CTD.

Loading in to KMIA and it never even loads fully before it dies from not enough memory.

Seems everyone streaming P3Dv5 on twitch is running 1080Ti or 2080Ti with more memory.
airbader

Post by airbader »

robs113 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:33 am I am seeing the same issue with RTX2070, P3Dv5 HF2 and Win 10 build 2004.

I have yet to complete a flight in P3d v5 without a CTD.

Loading in to KMIA and it never even loads fully before it dies from not enough memory.

Seems everyone streaming P3Dv5 on twitch is running 1080Ti or 2080Ti with more memory.
LVFR's FLL and MIA are particularly bad when it comes to VRAM. If you have an 8GB card, you have to use 1024 textures.
jellef

Post by jellef »

I am curious about the use of Shared GPU memory. Since v5 I see a little more use of this type of memory, but not very much and it seems to be stable once VRAM is allocated. My expectation is that if dedicated GPU memory is nearing its limits, memory usage will shift to Shared memory, if this can save precious VRAM resources. I wonder why we can't see this mechanism working as expected.
acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Will this ever get solved?
It happens to me every day
Thanks

Specs
Asus motherboard H110M-A
Asus GeForce Tuf gaming GTX 1660 Super OC (6G)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
32 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS (10.0 built 19041)
3840 x 2160, 60 Hz 4k 55" TV screen