Some questions about how P3D Addons add entries and how they are read after (again yes)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Senchay

Some questions about how P3D Addons add entries and how they are read after (again yes)

Post by Senchay »

We know we have those 2 places where there is an add-on.cfg.

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\xy\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Whenever a new airport is installed and added to one of those 2 places, what is the right/expected thing that happens?

Example:

The add-on.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 has 51 entries.

I install an airport that adds the entries into that file, what is the expected thing to happen?

Does the new airport get number 52 ([Package.52]) or does it get [Package.0] and the rest will move 1 nr up?

Then nr 2.

whats the expected order how p3d reads them and places them in the sim, is the [Package.0] the one that shows on the first pos in the p3d lib or is it [Package.52] that is the top most
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
downscc

Re: Some questions about how P3D Addons add entries and how they are read after (again yes)

Post by downscc »

According to the SDK, 3d party developers should only be using the add-on.cfg file located in the Program Data folder.

It is not exact how the entries are made into the add-on.cfg. I've seen installers do both add at beginning and end. Both work and the order is not significant in most cases. Keep in mind that not all addons are scenery or textures. There are also autogen, effects, sounds, simobjects ect. added in this method and the order in the library will not match the order in any add-on.cfg or xml file. If a developer needs to ensure the order of things, such as for landclass or mesh then there are tools to take care of that without relying on the order of things in a cfg file.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Senchay

Re: Some questions about how P3D Addons add entries and how they are read after (again yes)

Post by Senchay »

downscc wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:54 pm According to the SDK, 3d party developers should only be using the add-on.cfg file located in the Program Data folder.
Sadly they dont seem to care much. Everyone does what he likes it seems. Thats why i mentioned already elsewhere that wen NEED 1 single way to add scenery. Even if we loose 50% of airports when the devs of them are too lazy to read the SDK. THen nooone will buy them anymore and at 1 point they have to fix it or loose money. This has to be enforced on them, otherwise P3D will stay P3D with all its problems.

Lets just imagine for a sec there would be no tools...

And this is the result of an installed airport:

The red numbers show the positions as they should be. And in this case its very important they would be like that becasue everything else doesnt work in that case.

Who is at "fault"? P3D reading something wrong or the developer did something wrong.

As you can read here (you already posted in that one too so i think you know it) i have immense problems with this.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=132637

Something doesnt work as it should and it cannot be that one has to use tools to make P3D do what it should do,
Last edited by Senchay on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

Btw, i have this problem since 4.4 only i think. When i originally bought it in November or whenever it came out it worked just fine and the order was like intended
downscc

Post by downscc »

Senchay wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:11 pm Btw, i have this problem since 4.4 only i think. When i originally bought it in November or whenever it came out it worked just fine and the order was like intended
Order is not important except in a very specific few cases.
Dan Downs
KCRP
shfinne04

Post by shfinne04 »

But when it go wrong its :-(((((((((((((

High res Mesh orbx vector and lots scenery with there own mesh ..... some installed as add-on some not
and at this point in time no real structure
add-on installed all over the place
I got 1tb off add-on and i got a fault in the structure and ... not happy about this mess
some scenery work some don't
up to this add-on thing came did i have some control
guess it okay for light installation
but not when thing get a bit more complex

Styrk H Finne