[RESOLVED] Wings and Plane are very Dark Prepar3D v4.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
mvwissen

Re: Wings and Plane are very Dark

Post by mvwissen »

RossG wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:15 am I am getting this with a fresh install of the entire software.
Hi Ross,

As I mentioned before, I don't think that this is a bug. It might indeed be darker than what we are used to, but in addition to what I previously said about the moon, go to an add-on airport (like WSSS or EDDF) that supports dynamic lightning, if you own those. You will see that you can then see the entire fuselage, when you position the aircraft at a lit-up gate.

Mark
softreset

Re: Dark VC

Post by softreset »

- Nuke & pave of Windows (clean install)
- Clean install of v4.4
- Installed Carenado PC-12 v2 for P3Dv4
- ORBX Global, Vector & LC NA (all up to date libraries)
- REX Texture Direct & Worldwide Airports HD
- Flight1 GTN Complete

- No PTA, Envshade, Tomato Shade or ReShade
- I have removed the Prepar3D.cfg and Shaders folder

I had zero issues with P3D v4.3 (this is brand new with v4.4)

I've taken three in-game screenshots with the date set to tonight and then three more with the date set to 12/22 per the recommendation. With the full moon, the VC illuminates as expected for night flying with no ambient lighting. I exclusively fly with real world weather / real world time. So while I look forward to my evening flight on the 22nd, I can't say I'm excited about tonight's! ;)

https://imgur.com/a/rZXnki2

Any recommendations would be appreciated, otherwise I'll have just to fly during the day.
softreset

Post by softreset »

If it's not a bug, it's definitely a significant inconvenience with night flying. I had to hunt and peck for the battery and overhead buttons for a good 30 seconds as I was staring at a completely black screen with no visually identifiable shading or color gradients.
RobCom

Post by RobCom »

I seem to be having this issue too, I have spent 2 days reinstalling video drivers and resetting my monitor and trying to adjust brightness settings.

It's extremely dark.

There doesn't seem to be any moon at all, I'll try moving the date to the 22nd and see what happens.

If not I'll try Poppet settings and see what shakes, I always remove the shaders folder when updating P3D, but I didn't remove the .cfg file this time.
ASUS Z690 Apex ; 12900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 ; ASUS RTX 4080 OC ; Creative SB Audigy Rx
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Dark VC

Post by Beau Hollis »

We enabled scaling of the ambient light based on moon phase. You can disable the moon-phase lighting in the Prepar3D.cfg:

[Graphics]
MOON_PHASE_LIGHTING=0
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
RossG

Post by RossG »

mvwissen wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 am
RossG wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:15 am I am getting this with a fresh install of the entire software.
Hi Ross,

As I mentioned before, I don't think that this is a bug. It might indeed be darker than what we are used to, but in addition to what I previously said about the moon, go to an add-on airport (like WSSS or EDDF) that supports dynamic lightning, if you own those. You will see that you can then see the entire fuselage, when you position the aircraft at a lit-up gate.

Mark
Yes, this does seem to work. Just for the heck of it though I set moon phase to false. :)
Migar

Post by Migar »

That fixed problem for me. Can see aircraft, VC is lit and outside is suitably dark. Thank you.
Regards Michael.