Shadows and light shading dissapearing with head angle

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Dreamsofwings1

Shadows and light shading dissapearing with head angle

Post by Dreamsofwings1 »

I have just installed P3Dv4 for first time and am using PTA and ENTEX.
I have noticed that in certain conditions when I turn my head (I use TrackIR) the shadows on the ground, and also the light shading e.g. sunset cast on the cockpit combing or aircraft cowling, will disappear depending on what angle the view is relative to the position of the sun. As I approach my 12 'o' clock with the sun at 9 'o' clock, for example, the cloud shadows and lighting disappear the most. Can best be seen in this video. Is there a fix for this or is it a known issue that is being worked on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b45-o8lcHXY
Saldo

Re: Shadows and light shading dissapearing with head angle

Post by Saldo »

This is exactly what I see. Especially when making turns and looking down.
Like the cloud shadows are dissappearing and reappearing...

With V4.1 I saw this weird behaviour too and hoped that it would have been fixed with V4.2.
sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi »

This is a known issue. There is already a thread about this, but it appears to be receiving no love from LM at all. It would appear to have been present throughout the life-cycle of P3D.

viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=125862
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

It would be very welcome If someone from LM could inform us of the current situation and If there are tweaks to “fix” this ...
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello,

Unfortunately you will just have to untick the cloud shadows option to get this behavior to stop. We made a trade off due to performance limitations with large numbers of clouds. We are looking into any possible fixes for the future.

Since this is the same issue as the other thread, I'm going to lock this one down and request that future posts continue to be made here:
viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=125862

Thanks for the feedback regarding this issue; we are always looking for ways to improve the user experience and will continue looking into it.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer