VIVE stuttering and jerking

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
timkikly

VIVE stuttering and jerking

Post by timkikly »

What are the correct settings to use VR in the sim? I can see everything just fine but when i go to turn my head (any direction) the thing judders and jerks around, like its catching up to where i turn, its making it impossible to use my VR in the native mode. I tried flyinside for p3d and its exactly the same as the native. I have xplane 11 and flyinside and it works great (well it doesn't make me sick to my stomach) so i know its possible. I get great frame-rates with the VR turned off. I have tested every type of combination of settings that i can, and it seems nothing it working smooth. Im not trying to turn everything down to the point where its just stupid to waste my time flying in a blurry mess, i would expect when the sim is updated with BIG NEWS- VR now SUPPORTED! I would think that it might work better than this, it makes me feel like my spine is broken when im using my VIVE. Every other game i use my VR on is smooth as silk and perfect, but this is absolutely a nightmare! Will someone please set a guideline for using the VR in this sim? or let me know if you also get seasick sitting in one spot on the ground in your plane. Hey I just wanna fly the thing, not fight for 100 hours trying in vain to find some "mAGICAL" setting that makes it usable!! seriously any help here would be awesome!! this is kicking my ***!
foxhound_66

Re: VIVE stuttering and jerking, making me sick cant hold my head still enough!!!

Post by foxhound_66 »

Looks like we are having similar issues, I just posted a similar issue to you.

I'm sure some folks will ask for more info, helps in the troubleshooting. Are you running Oculus or Vive? If Oculus, you should download the Oculus Tray Tool and try turning ASW to "Off". Turning it off and running in Mono mode really helped me get an experience that was as smooth as possible.

I've included my post below as your post is almost a duplicate :)
I've been using the baked in VR within V4 for a few weeks now, I really like it but there are some issues I am wondering if anyone has issues with.

1. Jitter - The left eye is consistently not smooth. A lot of shaking and jagged movement. This seems to go away with Mono mode but is present in all graphical setting variations (Graphics High/Low, Mono & Stereo). This is most apparent in Stereo Mode with ASW Auto.
2. Tearing - When in Stereo Mode with ASW set to Auto, I am getting a lot of tearing within the cockpit. The movement is very smooth and frames are as good as Mono with no ASW but make it almost nauseating to play.

My main conundrum is that I have FlyInside for every other version of flight simulator (FSX, XP11, and P3DV4) but this app has some issues of it's own (aircraft flickering in and out). I have tried a couple of different methods using the Oculus Tray Tool and my best result with fairly smooth performance is Mono & ASW Off.

My specs are:
CPU: i5 6600k OC to 4.5GHz
GPU: MSi 1070GTX with Driver Version 388.312
RAM: 16GB G.Skill 2400
Sim: Prepar3D V4.1.7.22841
HMD: Oculus Rift CV1

Anyone had these issues and found a fix for them?
Swinden

Re: VIVE stuttering and jerking, making me sick cant hold my head still enough!!!

Post by Swinden »

By chance are you guys using FSUIPC and have recently updated to v 5.122?
foxhound_66

Post by foxhound_66 »

No FSUIPC here.

The main addons I use are ASP4, ASCA, and Spad.next (not sure if this one would make a difference).
timkikly

Post by timkikly »

Hi, Yes i have the latest version of Fsuipc, need it for the Virtual airlines acars. also other things. but this is just a performance thing, its a keeosk of a fricker! I develop scenery for fsx and p3d and it sucks i cant really use my own work when flying at this time, you ever heard of Realworld Scenery? not to plug it here, but id just like to use my (more) favorite sim
timkikly

Re: VIVE stuttering and jerking

Post by timkikly »

any new thoughts out there?
Thanks!!
luce19

Post by luce19 »

With the Windows 10 Creators Update the option was added to disable fullscreen optimizations for individual executable files, and doing this isn’t difficult whatsoever. You just have to do the following:

Navigate to the .exe file of the game you’re having issues with (it’s likely in Program Files)
Right click the file, select properties
Navigate to the compatibility section of the window that just opened up
Check the box that says “disable fullscreen optimizations”
Click apply.

Enjoy
timkikly

Post by timkikly »

Hi,
I am using windows 7 64B
ckd76915

Post by ckd76915 »

Hi Guys,
just keep cool .... what you are encountering ist due to the native VR Support in P3D. The VR with Rift or Vive needs something about 90 FPS for smooth actions.
If your Hardware ist not able to run with these FPS, there's a solution on the web ..... Flyinside (https://flyinside-fsx.com/), they are providing a technique called "Asynchronous Timewarp" thats something like a supersampling to provide your Vive or Rift with 90 FPS even when the sim runs at 30FPS. I'm using this since 4 months with my Rift and its worth the 30 Bucks.
They have a try & buy Option, so just give it a try :-)

AND .... just use the task manager to see what's going on with your system. P3D makes intensive use of Core0 and when Oculus Server is also highly active on Core0 both are struggling for your processor. So try to set an affinity mask for P3D to free up Core0/Core1 and let Oculus run on these Cores .... also , give it a try ;-)
Chris
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

First off, let me just say that performance is important to our team, and it is something we continue to work on with every release. I can't comment on specifics, but there will be more VR performance improvements coming in the future.

Most VR games/experiences have carefully tuned the content and the fidelity so that it will run two views at 90hz on the minimum VR specs recommended by Steam/Oculus. Many Prepar3D users tune their settings and content for smooth 30hz flying with a single view. It's important to understand that there is a big difference in these two use-cases. Our inclusion of VR support in the platform doesn't imply that all features and content in the product will perform well on any VR-ready PC. Even on higher-end hardware, there will be setting and content tuning required to hit 90hz in stereo. We recommend the using the highest end hardware available when using Prepar3D for VR-based training.

The Vive does have an asynchronous re-projection setting which will lock Prepar3D down to 45, 30, 22.5, etc and re-project that image to the headset at 90hz. When this is in use, you may see black bars at the sides of your vision when swiveling your head quickly. You may want to check your SteamVR settings and make sure you have "Allow asynchronous reprojection" and "Allow interleaved reprojection" checked. This will let the SteamVR runtime decide the best mode to use. Unlock your FPS and unlimit your framerate so the OpenVR can control the frame timing better.

Some users find that 45fps (or even 30) re-projected to be fairly comfortable. Anything less than that is not likely to to be a good experience. Watch your FPS counter when VR is on. If your not at least staying at 30, you should consider switching to mono mode or lowering settings. Mono requires only one view so it should be a bit faster than stereo mode. As always, also make sure you drivers up-to-date.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect