Win 10 KB4038788 Update crashes my P3D v3

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
GregH99

Re: Win 10 KB4038788 Update crashes my P3D v3

Post by GregH99 »

P3Dv3.4 remains very broken after this update. The 100% load crash is gone but the Error Creating child window is thrown up as you enter the flight deck. I also tried Scenario - Reset from the menu bar and got multiple Error Creating Child Window messages followed by a PC freeze. My system was extremely stable prior to the Windows updates.

Rather angry and frustrated now as we have been waiting for more that a month for this fix! Clearly LM and MS are not talking to each other as surely this update would otherwise have been tested to confirm the issues are resolved?

Of course we know very little about what causes these issues, so maybe MS have fixed their issues and it is LM / P3D coding that now needs to be fixed to clear these errors and instability? I hope that we hear from LM soon as I find this situation most unacceptable. How much longer must we wait for a fix? All hands on deck at the LM P3D office please!
rlaycock

Post by rlaycock »

Sadly the same for me (child window error)
Will this mean we have another month with no flight sim?

Regards
Bob
h3pilot

Post by h3pilot »

Just as a data point for LM, the latest Windows update seems to have fixed the CTD bug for me. :)

I had been getting a CTD after every flight loaded.
I've only tried two flights, but both worked, takeoff to landing.
1. Default F-35 at KLSV (Orbx Global Base & openLC North America)
2. MilViz MD530 at KFHR (Orbx Pacific Northwest and KFHR scenery)

I have never had the "child window" error that some others have reported still having.
Happy flying!

Matt
theitcrowd

Post by theitcrowd »

h3pilot wrote: I have never had the "child window" error that some others have reported still having.
This happens to me only in Addons such as FSL A320X and PMDG 737, 747 etc. Default works fine both in FSX and P3D.

I tried P3D V4.1 but my Aerosoft A320 doesn't work with it :( the screens appear blank.
ckd76915

Post by ckd76915 »

I'm also getting the child window error frequently (not every start) , but when quitting the message V3 runs.
BUT ... since the Fall Creators Update my Oculus VR is freezing frequently my whole System for seconds only in conjunction with P3D (V3 and V4) and this will not happen with other VR Apps.
MS seems not to like Lockheed Martin :-) and should name this update FAIL Creators Update .....
Chris
sincedric

Post by sincedric »

Update:

I reported that the issues were gone and no "error creating child window" prompt came out, wrong. I restarted again and the error prompt comes out. I could cancel the warning and the sim runs, however it crashes when I press "Alt-Enter" to enter full screen mode. disappointing.
Zortex

Post by Zortex »

It's more stable now - it doesn't crash every time but the problem still persists. I've been managed to do two flights but it crashed few times before I started them.
I am getting Error creating child window even with F22 plane followed by crash.

LM we need a fix from you guys. We cannot wait for MS since you're running software on their platform so you should patch it to make it usable. Please do something. I haven't been able to fly on 3.4 since September updates.
Minsky

Post by Minsky »

Well.

It looks like the latest Windows 10 update (KB4048955) has solved P3Dv3 crashes with some payware aircrafts (namely PMDG 737 in my case).

But I'm still getting multiple "error creating child window" popups with PMDG 737.
ollie

Post by ollie »

Concomitantly with the feature update 1709, there was a whole slew of Visual C++ updates ranging from Visual C++ 2012 through C++ 2017 that installed themselves. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe V C++ is the platform for creating child windows. If this is the case, then perhaps the child window issue arose because of buggy version of Visual C++.

Whatever, this problem needs to be fixed ASAP.

Mike
CptVHHH

Post by CptVHHH »

Hi,

Still get Child Window Error followed by a crash. Even with everything default.
theitcrowd

Post by theitcrowd »

I am so close to reverting back to Windows 7 now. I am tired of this.
Milonas

Post by Milonas »

What a disappointment that last Win10 update of November the 14th!
Since the KB4038788 Win10 update there is no fun to fly with Prepar3D! (Except with version 4.1) This works perfectly!
We are waiting for promise's that it would be over at the next Win10 update but no! Still the same errors "Error creating child window" I then press the cross at the top right and then I can fly but still ...... I do not know how it will go further when I go back to my Payware install because now the P3D 3.4 installation is still "Fresh", yes I thought I would try with a fresh installation, but no, unfortunately .....

Are we now forced to return to Win7? Where everything went smoothly.
Everyone blames everyone .... Lockheed Martin <-> Microsoft .....

I have never experienced so many frustrations with a FlightSim since September 2017 ....
And believe me, I've been racing for a few years in the flightsim world ....

I own P3D v4.1 P3D v3.4 P3D v2.5 and FSX-SE

What now?
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Just a reminder, as per our Forum User Agreement, any hostile comments will be deleted.

Thank you for all your feedback. We will continue working with Microsoft on this issue.

Can anyone provide a Visual Studio 2015 crash dump?

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that dump to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

Regards,
Rob McCarthy

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
SWA555

Post by SWA555 »

Hello

To-day after upgrade KB 4048955 and 4048951 sill problems with crash and child window.
I can change the scenery several times , BUT not the airplane .

So in my case , before i start P3D v. 3.4 22 19868 i delete the
Vehicle Favorites xml and that enables me to start with the Default F-22 and change then to my
IFLY 737-700 Boeing.

Hope a better solution will be short available .

Hugo
kerberos42

Post by kerberos42 »

I have been having the CTD at 100% error with 3.3.5 since Sept, and eagerly hoped the 1709 update would fix it. Yesterday I installed the update, but after it installed, in the Windows update screen it said that the update failed to install. No error message or anything just "failed to install". When I hit "Check for Updates it said that there were no updates available. I figured that the error message was erroneous, and the update did install.

I fired up P3D and lo and behold, it worked fine. I booked off the afternoon and evening and had a great time getting re-acquainted with the default Carenado, AS A320 and PMDG 737. No issues at all.

This morning, my computer had rebooted and looks like it did finish installing the update this time - it went through some post update steps that it didn't do when I tried the install yesterday.

However, now I get the Child window error messages whenever I go into the New Scenerio window. It will load into the default F22 flight no problem and I can fly fine as long as I don't try to access any menu windows. It never did this before the 1709 update.

I'm simply beyond disappointed at this point, as a developer, if this happened with software I was responsible for, I'd be out of a job. I cant afford to upgrade, especially with also having to upgrade the addons. Has anyone tried re-installing P3d under 1709? I dont relish doing it myself, but at this point I'm willing to give it a shot.