PAPI lights very faint / weak / small / invisible

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
disco79stu

PAPI lights very faint / weak / small / invisible

Post by disco79stu »

Hi,
since I updated to 5.2, I noticed that the PAPI lights became very hard to see.
From a relevant distance, they are practically invisible, I' only starting to see them when I'm already 100-200 ft. AGL.

This is especially unfortunate on approaches where are usually quite helpful (LFMN, LGKR etc.).
It's across all developers and airports, the lights in P3D seem to either have a very short draw distance ore are somehow broken in general.

I tested different settings (LOD radius, EA on/off, HDR etc., different settings in ORBX) but I can't get it solved.
I do have Envshade installed but I can't see how that might change the size/brightness/draw-distance of the PAPIs.

Does anyone have a hint for me what I could try? I'm 100% sure this was not a problem before on my system.

Thanks,
Stu

robpol471

Re: PAPI lights very faint / weak / small / invisible

Post by robpol471 »

Hi Stu,

you can try to insert these old configurations in Prepar3D.cfg under [DISPLAY] which increase the intensity of runway light, PAPI light, Approach Bars and Strobes light.

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR = 1.0 // Runway Lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR = 1.0 // VASI Lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR = 1.0 // Approach Bars
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR = 1.0 // Strobes

Increasing the value 1.0 increases the intensity of the lights, for example, in your case try with RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR = 1.5 // VASI Lights
and check if the intensity of the PAPI lights has increased.

Obviously the runway configuration in the apt scenario must have lights PAPI enabled which you can verify using, for example, Airport Design Editor.
disco79stu

Post by disco79stu »

Awesome,
that did the trick.
1.5 seems perfect, I can now see the PAPIs from the distance again!

Thanks a lot!
robpol471

Post by robpol471 »

Nothing and ... good landings now that you also see the PAPI!