Add-ons.cfg not created initially with 4.5HF1 Native

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Airwolf

Add-ons.cfg not created initially with 4.5HF1 Native

Post by Airwolf »

Hi guys,

Just to bring it to your attention.

Upon further research with 4.5HF1 Full installer - the installer does not create the file add-ons.cfg at location in C:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4 This is the add-ons.cfg in user directory.

Just wondering - why are there 2 add-ons.cfg files - one in Programdata and one in user's roaming directory. Managing files everywhere gets little tedious at times. Some addons install some of their files in Programdata and then other in user's romaing directory.

Feature Request: Can you guys make the add-ons.cfg etc all the files Prepar3d v4 uses to update the encoding as it is running - for example P3D files like to saved with encoding in UCS-2 LE BOM.

I usually use Lorby's addon tool to check encoding to make sure everything is good.

Thanks,

airwolf
obinder

Re: Add-ons.cfg not created initially with 4.5HF1 Native

Post by obinder »

Hi,

thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware that this is no longer happening. I will have to take that into account with P4AO.

Why are there two add-ons.cfg files? Because Windows is an operating system that manages multiple user accounts on the same computer. Addons that you install for your user account only (for example those that have a reference in \Documents\Prepar3D Add-ons - this is a private folder only for you) need a config file that is specific for your user account too - hence user\Appdata\Roaming. Addons that are installed so that any user account can access them, they need config files accessible to all = C:\ProgramData.
User account "harry" has no access to addons that user "tom" has installed using his \Documents folder, so you can't just add them to the \ProgramData add-ons.cfg file.
You can put a duplicate of almost every cfg file from ProgramData into AppData\Roaming if you want it to be local for your user account. This has always been possible btw.

Can the encoding of cfg files be changed programmatically? No. That can go very wrong, because it is not really possible to determine all encodings that a text file can have. So it could happen that P3D destroys a cfg file because it was unable to see the actual encoding. IMHO the risk is just too great, which is why I refrained from doing this in P4AO too.

Just as a warning: you should never "manage" any of the P3D config files (meaning "edit"), and especially not the add-ons.cfgs. There is a command line interface in P3D for the one in ProgramData and the one in AppData\Roaming is managed by P3D autodiscovery.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI