How to setup multiple monitors with different resolution and physical size

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Daniel3438

How to setup multiple monitors with different resolution and physical size

Post by Daniel3438 »

I’m troubling in setting multiple monitors which with different resolution and different physical size.

I have 2 monitors: 1 x 32inch 2560x1440, 1 x 27inch 1920 x 1080, 32inch use for center display, 27inch use for right side display, and they are bottom aligned in physical. The right side monitor rotated about 12 degree (It means the angel between center and right side monitors is 168 degree).

I‘ve tried to setup a view group. I’ve defined 2 views using view frustum:
side angel for center view are (-50, 50, 33.84, -33.84),
side angel for right side view are (38.629, 68.451, 25.56, -25.56), and heading offset for right side monitor is 12 degree.

But it didn’t work. The alignment is not good, and the vertical image of right side monitor look like has been compressed.
Anyone could help for this? Thanks a lot.

Daniel
Aussie1234

Re: How to setup multiple monitors with different resolution and physical size

Post by Aussie1234 »

View groups are a complex subject but are worth it in the end.

Your numbers are way out for what you want to achieve.

I explain it by saying, it is like you are looking at a 16:10 rectangle (in your case two) forming a pyramid (in your case two) from your eye point.

You need to measure the angles, from your eye, to the both sides of the screen, and from the top and bottom, from where your eye is relative to the centre. Like looking down on a pyramid.

eg. Your front screen, it could be: 80 degrees left to right depending how close you are sitting. You are sitting in the centre of the screen therefore you assign -40.000 left and +40.000 right. Now, you need to remember your screens are going to have a set ratio, horizontally to vertically. Nowadays generally 16:10. Therefore, if you see 80 degrees left to right, you will see 80 degrees horizontally x 0.625 or 50 degrees vertically. (0.625 is derived by dividing 10 by 16) If you are sitting right in the middle vertically, you would assign -25.000 and +25.000. If you don't have the same 16:10 ratio then you are going to have squashing or stretching. (in your case you have the VH ratio at about 47%)

Same with your right screen. Measure the angle you want it to show. If it is a smaller screen it will show a smaller horizontal angle (+ or - from your viewpoint) Then set you vertical angle at the same ratio. If the bottoms are aligned then the vertical angle needs to be divided to account for where your eye is looking at the centre. eg. a 50 degree vertical angle might be divided to -30.000 and +20.000 degrees (your eyepoint is higher up the screen)

Anyhow, have fun.

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
Daniel3438

Re: How to setup multiple monitors with different resolution and physical size

Post by Daniel3438 »

Aussie1234 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 pm View groups are a complex subject but are worth it in the end.

Your numbers are way out for what you want to achieve.

I explain it by saying, it is like you are looking at a 16:10 rectangle (in your case two) forming a pyramid (in your case two) from your eye point.

You need to measure the angles, from your eye, to the both sides of the screen, and from the top and bottom, from where your eye is relative to the centre. Like looking down on a pyramid.

eg. Your front screen, it could be: 80 degrees left to right depending how close you are sitting. You are sitting in the centre of the screen therefore you assign -40.000 left and +40.000 right. Now, you need to remember your screens are going to have a set ratio, horizontally to vertically. Nowadays generally 16:10. Therefore, if you see 80 degrees left to right, you will see 80 degrees horizontally x 0.625 or 50 degrees vertically. (0.625 is derived by dividing 10 by 16) If you are sitting right in the middle vertically, you would assign -25.000 and +25.000. If you don't have the same 16:10 ratio then you are going to have squashing or stretching. (in your case you have the VH ratio at about 47%)

Same with your right screen. Measure the angle you want it to show. If it is a smaller screen it will show a smaller horizontal angle (+ or - from your viewpoint) Then set you vertical angle at the same ratio. If the bottoms are aligned then the vertical angle needs to be divided to account for where your eye is looking at the centre. eg. a 50 degree vertical angle might be divided to -30.000 and +20.000 degrees (your eyepoint is higher up the screen)

Anyhow, have fun.

Aussie
Hi Aussie, thank you very much for your detailed explanation. It just reminds me a very import thing which is my right screen is shorter than the center screen and their bottoms are aligned, so the vertical angles for right screen is not the same. It's probably the reason why the vertical image of right screen looks like has been compressed.

After recalculation, I've adjust the side angle of right screen to (38.629, 68.451, 21.476, -29.644).
The Result looks like as below https://www.mediafire.com/view/vg8jo2op0hxafkx
It's really close, but not perfect. Thanks Aussie again. And I'll keep fine tune it and also adjust to zoom in a little bit by reducing the side angles.

The method I used to calculate the right screen is as below picture(Just ignore the numbers in the picture):
https://www.mediafire.com/view/qh0kkjx27r33jqx

Because the angle between right screen and center screen horizontal extension line is only 12 degree, not 45 degree. So if I directly measure the side angle of right screen, the result will be weird.
I try to use other method to calculate the side angle for right screen, just like above picture. I take the blue line as a virtual screen which is a extension line of the right screen. And just figure out the red angle as left side angle for right screen, and the green angle as right side angle for right screen.

Daniel