Create a specific action with a keyboard

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
Pascal Drac

Create a specific action with a keyboard

Post by Pascal Drac »

Hello,

As a new SimDirector user, I want to create a scenario where the pilot has to detect failures (altimeter, speed, engine parameters ...) during a flight. At each failure, the pilot must press a key on the keyboard to return the faulty instrument to normal operation. For each failure, the pilot has 15 seconds for detection. After this time, the faulty instrument automatically returns to normal operation.
The creation of faults and the automatic return to normal operation have been carried out. However, the keyboard action to cancel a fault does not work. Looking at the processes in SimDirector preview scenario, the "DelayAction" action blocks the keyboard action.
I am creating the scenario from the "visualization" module.
Could you tell me if such an action is possible in SimDirector?
If yes, could you give me a hint to realize this action?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Pascal
JacobM

Re: Create a specific action with a keyboard

Post by JacobM »

I have a few questions, but my possible answer is below. If you don't mind me asking, how will you be using these scenarios? As in... for your personal use or for pilot training? Will someone else be triggering the failures randomly? What action are you using to engage faults? What action or trigger to use the keyboard press?

If "DelayAction" is what is causing the issue, you could replace that with "ObjectActivation" that will activate a deactiv "TimerTrigger" that will trigger your fault reset action. There are 5 ways to do anything in SimDirector and almost always those 5 ways are work-arounds.

Action>ObjectActivation>TimerTrigger>Action

-JacobM
Pascal Drac

Post by Pascal Drac »

Thank you for your feedback. I will provide you with answers to your questions.

The scenario I want to implement is not intended for pilot training. Currently I am using the Multi-Attribute Task Battery (MATB-II) test for fault detection. Using SimDirector, I could implement a more environmentally friendly simulation using P3D.
These faults would be triggered automatically by the scenario. Keystrokes will be pressed to repair the failure for the continuation of the simulation (e.g. F1 key for radio navigation instrument failures, F2 for engine failures, F3 for electrical failures ...)

Below is a procedure for an altimeter failure:
TimerTrigger1 => FailureAction (Anemometer failure 0%) => DelayAction (30s to reset the anemometer if no key is pressed) => ObjectActivationAction => TimerTrigger2 => FailureAction (Anemometer failure 100%)
If the person presses the corresponding keypad during this 30 second period, the anemometer returns to normal operation.

To achieve this process, the following procedure (which does not work) is implemented:
TimerTrigger1 => UserInputActivationAction => ObjectActivationAction => ControlEventTrigger => ObjectActivationAction => TimerTrigger2 => FailureAction (anemometer failure 100%).

Perhaps a conditional object should be set up?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Pascal
JacobM

Post by JacobM »

The first thing you will want to do is test the important bits individually. It seems you can use a trigger to make a failure without issue, and can fix the failure automatically. If you are having trouble with the keypress, try getting it to work without any overlapping Delaysactions or Timertriggers first. Make a test scenario, automatically have the failure trigger, and see what trigger works to apply a "FailureAction" fix.

As far as I know, there is no trigger that advertises as a "keypress" trigger. I have made plenty of workarounds with the "ControlEventTrigger". You can bind a key to a non existent control for you aircraft (example F12 to Gun System On/Off if you don't have guns) and set "Gun System On/Off" as the control event. The F12 key will then activate your ControlEventTrigger. I hope this is not too confusing. SimDirector is hard to explain, especially though text. If this is clear as mud it's because I don't have access to P3D anymore and this is from memory.

Note: You can clean up you altimeter failure process.
TimerTrigger1 => FailureAction (Anemometer failure 0%) => DelayAction (30s to reset the anemometer if no key is pressed) => ObjectActivationAction => TimerTrigger2 (Start time=30, End time=0) => FailureAction (Anemometer failure 100%)

Should have the same result. You will have the "FailureAction" fix happen twice, but unless you add condition logic there is no way around it.
Pascal Drac

Post by Pascal Drac »

Thank you JacobM for your feedback.
I will follow yours recommendations and come back to this discussion to inform you.
Thanks again.

Best regards.

Pascal
Pascal Drac

Post by Pascal Drac »

Hello,

I haven't solved the problem yet. As a beginner, I'm getting familiar with conditional forms in simdirector.

Best regards.

Pascal