SimDirector Hangs Loading Catalog

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
bcars

SimDirector Hangs Loading Catalog

Post by bcars »

This problem is re-openned. Loaded a clean install of P3Dv%.3 hf2. Tried to run Simdirector. It starts up loading p3d like a normal start, then switches to the SimDirector UI page, with the Loading Scenery objects... no progress bar, and the Icon on the left that says Loading Catalog is not rotating. CPU is >50% memory > 1.8GB 0 disk, 0 gpu. It appears to be in a tight loop.

tried starting from inside P3D (tools) as well as via command line prepar3d -simdirector
No addon packages installed so only the

Since there is no documentation about where the Simdirector settings are stored, there is no way to change any of the settings since the UI stuck. It appears that whatever is going on is running on the UI thread since the UI is totally unresponsive. Clicking the title bar results in the WIndows message Prepar3d is not responding... Close the program or wait.
Event Log has the following:

Fault bucket 1305080381452011701, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Prepar3D.exe
P2: 5.3.17.28160
P3: 61e6ab02
P4: 28d9
P5: 134217728
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

This problem seems to re-appear after every new release or hotfix.
Like I said. This was a clean install on a machine that never had p3d installed, so no residue from a prior install. I installed the sdk and the full install.

Can someone please give some guidance on where/how to change settings outside the UI ? These are stored somewhere, just not being exposed.
Martyson

Re: SimDirector Hangs Loading Catalog

Post by Martyson »

Hello bcars ,

I have P3Dv5.3HF2 (Academic).

Simdirector loaded ok for me.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
bcars

Post by bcars »

I appreciate your response, and I realize that Simdirector works for most people, However, there is an ongoing issue where under certain circumstances, the program Hangs/loops. It was working fine for me on P3dV5.2.
My question is how/where can I manually change the Simdirectory configuration settings since I cannot change them via the UI.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

You mentioned:
"This was a clean install on a machine that never had p3d installed, so no residue from a prior install. I installed the sdk and the full install.

You should not be having any problem loading Simdirector i.e. the P3D default flight as in my screenshot.

Any additional information on your system / PC specs / PC setup ?

Note:
Other pilots watching this topic this weekend may have additional information.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
bcars

Post by bcars »

Intel I7 4790, 4.0ghz, 32GB ram
nvidia 3080ti 13gb
512gb SSD for windows 1TB SSD for P3D and other Sim related apps
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 21H2
P3Dv5.3HF2 with 5.3 sdk
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Are you seeing this with a clean installation or do you have add-ons installed? If so which ones and are you able to test with these disabled?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
bcars

Post by bcars »

Hi Rob:
This is a clean install. No addons

I had initially uninstalled p3dv5.2h2(as per upgrade instructions for V5.3 ) (backed up my config files and addon.xml ... )
I ran the DeleteGeneratedFiles. Made sure the directories were empty ( deleted the actual directories)
Reboot.
Ran the Installer to install P3Dv5.3h2 ( Professional version Developer license )
Brought up the product and ran then ran Simdirector from command line ( Prepa3d -simdirector) It loaded the default scenario (loading scenery, ...autogen) then switched to the Simdirector screen and hung at that point. UI unresponsive, had to use task manager to kill it. The little rotating 'busy' icon in the catalog window never moved, nothing was responsive. IF I clicked on the TitleBar X to close the app, everything went to greyed (disabled mode) and got the windows popup saying P3D was not responding. ) I tired loading from within P3D Tools/Simdirector - same behavior (expected that since it is just reloading with the simdirector)

I uninstalled and re-installed a 2nd time same behavior. Next step is to deactivate on this machine and install/activate on another machine.
(By the way: P3dV4.5 is working fine as is simdirector for P3dV4.5)

I have since re-installed my addons and the product runs fine, however simdirector will not complete initialization. I had thought there might be a way to disable some of the settings (as from the settings menus) but since Simdirector UI is locked, can't change any of them. That is why I asked if where Simdirector is storing its settings to I could manually change to see if that might at least get to the point where I can get to the UI.
dshef

Post by dshef »

I have the same problem. Prepar3D 5.3.17.28160 Academic. Hangs with the message: "Loading scenery objects ... "
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64 bit