Ai Taxiing

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
Sharkey

Ai Taxiing

Post by Sharkey »

Trying to make my self my first Scenario and struggling to figure out the Taxi system, I've managed to place a C130 on a Parking spot at Eglin and setup a way point down the coast line for it to fly to as a test, Set Aircraft behaviour to Simple taxi and it then just trys to taxi straight to the way point,

Then I decided to set each way point along the taxi route I want which it does but when it gets to the Waypoint for take off it just ignores the runway.

I've looked deeper into the AI taxing and added Route but can't seem to see where I can plot out the route and can't seem to find any info on how to do so nor any tutorials ? any ideas and help would be great many thanks :)
JorgenSA

Re: Ai Taxiing

Post by JorgenSA »

For help with this you might want to talk to the guys at AIG - the Alpha-India Group.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
f111sim

Re: Ai Taxiing

Post by f111sim »

The way I have managed to get AI aircraft to taxi, take off (TO) and follow a selected waypoint (WP) list is this:
1. The selected Entity needs to be an AI aircraft and not one that you usually fly.

2. Place the AI on the parking spot and give it a name, ID number etc. but leave it set as Simple Flight.
I leave the Simple Flight fields as they are as I will experiment with them later on and they don't appear to be needed here.

3. Open the Waypoints window and make TWO WaypointLists. Call one Taxi Out WP List and the other Take Off WP List.
• In Taxi Out WP List, place waypoints (WP) leading to the threshold of the runway.
• Set the taxi speed to 10 knots for now.
• The last taxi WP should let the AI taxi straight to the runway numbers and facing along the runway centreline. The angle of this last WP leg with respect to the runway heading is critical as the AI could drift left or right on takeoff (TO). It may take some experimental moving of this WP to get the AI to travel down the centre of the runway. I’ve found that the longer you make this last WP leg, the better alignment is made.
• Set the taxi speed of the last Taxi Out WP to 50kts, so that the AI is accelerating when it reaches this WP.

4. In the Takeoff WP List set the first WP at about 5Nm distance from the runway and WP Altitude about 5000 ft.
• Select the Maintain speed to whatever the particular AI would be at that point of the TO procedure – say 350 kts. From there you can set as many WPs as you want, at differing altitudes and speeds. Be aware that if you move a WP position by dragging, the Altitude is reset to 0.0 so you will need to set it again to the required altitude.

5. Set a Rectangular Area over the last taxi WP and call it Takeoff Area.
• Set the Length to cover the width of the runway.
• Set the Width to ensure the AI aircraft is covered when it enters this Area.
• Make the height around 10 metres.
• Rotate the heading of the Area so it’s perpendicular with the runway heading.
• Ensure the last Taxi Out WP is in the centre of the Area and be aware that moving it can change the TO heading, as mentioned above.
• To make the Area invisible click on the RGB Colour section and select Advanced then move all sliders to the left.

6. Set an ActivateWaypointsAction and:
• Set ObjectName to Taxi Out Action.
• Select your AI aircraft as the ObjectReference.
• Set the WayPointsListReference to Taxi Out WP List.
• Leave other settings as they are.

7. Set another ActivateWaypointsAction and:
• Set ObjectName to Takeoff Action.
• Select your AI aircraft as the ObjectReference.
• Set the WaypointListReference to the Takeoff WP List.

8. Set a Proximity Trigger and name it Takeoff Trigger.
• Set Activated to YES.
• Set Areas to Takeoff Area.
• Set ObjectFilter to Reference. This means you will reference your AI aircraft in OnEnterFilter.
• In OnEnterActions, select the Takeoff Action.
• In OnEnterFilter, select the AI aircraft you are using.

9. You can either let the Taxi WP Action activate immediately or place a Timer Trigger. I do this to allow me to start to observe the AI aircraft in Preview Mode before it starts to Taxi.
• Set a Timer Trigger and name it Taxi Out timer.
• Set the StartTime to 5 (seconds) or whatever you want.
• Select Activated to YES.
• Select OneShot to YES.
• Set Actions to Taxi Out Action.

I don’t think I’ve missed anything but give it a go and let me know how it works for you.
Cheers,
Rod