P3DV5.2 Simdirector Catalog not loading addon scenery objects

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
bcars

P3DV5.2 Simdirector Catalog not loading addon scenery objects

Post by bcars »

Starting with the latest P3DV5.2 ( June 2021) simdirector loads extremely fast, however the only items in the catalog are the default p3dv5 scenery objects. None of the addon scenery items are available.

This occurs not only at the default airport, but when changing the Location to another airport. All the objects (bgl files) and placement for the given airport are rendered, so it IS reading the addon airport scenery, however non of the local bgls show up in the catalog.

This worked fine in P3DV5.1 h2
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3DV5.2 Simdirector Catalog not loading addon scenery objects

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

We added a new setting that filters these objects out by default. If you uncheck the "Ignore Unnamed Catalog Object Models" setting in the SimDirector File menu these will load.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
bcars

Post by bcars »

Rob:
Thanks for the quick reply. I saw that option but thought "Unnamed" was referring to objects / models not named (guid only) not 'other bgls', so somewhat ambiguous. Could have been a little more intuitive. Works as implemented :-)

Still much faster loading since it appears now to only pick up bgl's in the active sceneries unlike 4.5 where it found any bgl anywhere.

Thanks
Bill_Womack

Post by Bill_Womack »

Rob, I've tried unchecking that box, but now SimDirector hangs on trying to load object libraries. I let it run for 2 hours yesterday, and it still failed to load them. At this point, it's basically unusable for me. Any thoughts? This is with 5.2HF, btw.
CoastalDriver

Post by CoastalDriver »

I concur. If you only access standard objects it works but cannot parse or load non standard scenery-simulation objects held in addon containers.
To summarise.
1) With the filter in the SIM Director settings set to ON to filter out unnamed objects it loads normally and works correctly. It works well without any problem.
HOWEVER With this setting it will not pick up or list any non default objects (such as ORBX Libraries).

2) Resetting the filter to OFF now causes SIM Director to choke and basically no longer start or load. Check of CPU/Memory activity indicates CPU running at 99.9-10.00% but memory used minimal (less than 25% of my RAM) and that is where it stays.

3) You have to use Task Manager to kill the P3D process as a result as the program itself no longer responds to window box controls to close.

4) If you change this filter, you cannot get back into SIM Director to switch it back ON to stop this CPU overload (choke)

6) There is no alterable configuration control via the P3D config and SIM Director is controlled via dll's in the main sim folder.

7) Using repait for P3D CONTENT AND CLIENT does not change or alter the unnamed object switch being set to on and no longer accessible or sim director functioning.

I guess the only way to now do it or return that functionality would be to a complete fresh install of P3D which would give you SIM DIRECTOR with the filter ON.

So Sim Director is functional but in a what I regard as a very limited capacity but is rendered useless by the selection of the unnamed object filter.

As I see it the patch to filter out all non standard objects via the SIM Director menu (settings) fixed the original V5 non loading issue, but the problem returns once the program is required to access or look for or categorise and list all non P3D default scenery or sim objects.

A check of other resources indicates that V4.5 could load such library's or other objects but V5 even with HF1 cannot.
CoastalDriver

Post by CoastalDriver »

Addtional information re Sim Director failing to load.
I timed a final attempt to get Sim Director to start. I loaded P3D the used the menu to initiate Sim Director.
Same outcome it took 75 minutes to shift from the screen showing a scenery load bar to the Sim Director opening screen. I let the program run overnight with no other PC services operating. 6 hours later - nothing! Sim Director had not loaded nor changed to where it had got to. CPU still running at 96 to99.99%. Shutdown via task manager.

No possibility now of using Sim Director again until a fix is provided by LM.