[RESOLVED] Airport Landing Trigger: not recognized identifier

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
nickp

[RESOLVED] Airport Landing Trigger: not recognized identifier

Post by nickp »

I've been trying to get the ALT to work but have yet to be successful.

The Validation Output shows that it's not recognized no matter what airport ident I put in.

That includes the example given!

I saw a previous post from back in 2016 which reported the same thing but it seems that that it has not been resolved.

In the meantime, I use the Area Proximity Trigger, but it would be better if the ALT actually worked.

Thanks
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Airport Landing Trigger: not recognized identifier

Post by Rob McCarthy »

What validation issue are you seeing? There will be a warning if the IDENT does not match a valid airport ICAO. We aren't seeing this issue on our end and the trigger will successfully fire when landing at KVPS. Also which example are you referring to?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
nickp

Post by nickp »

Hi Rob.

Here's what I did:
1. Added the "AirportLandingTrigger" object to my simple scenario
2. Went to the "AirportIdent 1" Properties field and put in "KORF" (as suggested in the bottom Hint section of the Properties section - Blue background)
3. Went to the "Validation Output" window and hit the "! Run Validation"
4. The result is a warning "AirportIdent KORF is not a recognized identifier".
5. I ignored the warning anyway and with the "Landing Type" set to "TouchDown" and the "SetPropertyAction" set to apply the brake, I flew to KORF landed. But No Brake happened.
6. I tried other AirportIdents with the same result (ex. CYUL, KLAX, VIJP, etc).
7. I also tried other Actions like Flaps and power to idle.

My current workaround is to setup an "AreaLandingTrigger" at the runway end which triggers when I fly through it. That works as advertised!

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

The validation only checks against airports that are relatively close to you. It's only flagged as a warning though and should not prevent any triggers from firing. If you preview your scenario in SimDirector and use the Progress Log do you see your actions fire?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
nickp

Post by nickp »

Hmmm... that warning message led me down the wrong path. It's counter intuitive.

Most scenarios will start at one airport and land at another.

Thus, if the IDent is actually good, then no Warning should pop up.

I've re-tested within a new scenario and it seems to work.

I still must investigate why it wasn't working in my test scenario. I suspect a corruption of some sort since I use it for various tests.

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully the IDent verification can be improved along with the doc.

BTW: With respect to docs, more examples would go a long way to help explain the functionalities.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Glad to hear it's working for you now. I agree, the IDENT warning is confusing and we can look into improving this in a future update.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead