Radio Frequency changes don't seem to work

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
nickp

Radio Frequency changes don't seem to work

Post by nickp »

I'm interested in simply changing the Active Frequency to a value.

I've tried using the "SetPropertyAction" object to make the frequency 126.95 by setting the "COM ACTIVE FREQUENCY" property name to "126.9500". But nothing happens.

In the Simulation Variable document, I noticed that the "COM ACTIVE FREQUENCY:index" aircraft avionics variable states that it should use Frequency BCD16 units but when I try that and do the "Run Validation", an error message pops up which states that it must be decimal. Once I set it to "126.9500", the error message clears.

The problem is that when I preview the scenario, the COM1 Active Frequency never changes.

Can anyone help me by presenting a simple step-by-step process to change the Active COM1 Frequency?
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Radio Frequency changes don't seem to work

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Nick,

The COM ACTIVE FREQUENCY and COM STANDBY FREQUENCY Simulation Variables are not flagged to be settable.

Have you tried using the COM1_RADIO_HZ_SET and COM2_RADIO_HZ_SET events?
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
nickp

Post by nickp »

Hi Clifton

I'm rather new at this thus I would ask you to a bit more detailed.

I cannot seem to find the Events that you mentioned.

Are they somewhere in the "Actions" Category?

Thanks
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi nickp,

You would find these events listed in the SetPropertyAction object. You will need the SetPropertyAction to reference the object you want to modify. You can use the PropertyName search box to help find them. If you search for COM you should see COM_RADIO_SET and COM2_RADIO_SET. You should then be able to enter the value in the PropertyValue field.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
nickp

Post by nickp »

Thanks for the hint Clifton.

There are just so many variables which can be set which seem to be good, but may not work. I simply was not able to find them!

Those properties worked but despite a document search I could not figure out which values resulted in the desired frequency. I tried all kinds of numbers but it just was to difficult to get the correct frequency values established.

However, the doc search did lead me to a much easier way of changing the frequency.

I used 2 SetPropertyAction objects to emulate the actual procedure:
COM1_STBY_RADIO_HZ_SET: 122875000
COM_STBY_RADIO_SWAP: 1

The issue I ran into was with the Monitoring Properties while in Preview mode. According to doc and the UI, it was apparent to me that I could experiment with certain property values by adding Property Name to a Monitoring Profile and then checking the "Writable" box. But I found out that by trial and error that not all properties were changeable despite the checkbox being selected. Why is this? If it's not changeable then the Writable box should be greyed out.

It would be a nice enhancement if a "Settable" value could accompany each Monitoring property. That would save time!

Cheers!
Pop

Post by Pop »

Are you using the "dropdown" radio stack or just changing the freq on the radios
nickp

Post by nickp »

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Dropdown" radio stack.

The method I described changes the COM1 frequency variable. I would assume that all gauges that draw from that variable will also change.

I hope that helps.