Creating objects to place in Sim Director

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
skeadle6309

Creating objects to place in Sim Director

Post by skeadle6309 »

Hello I am kind of new at this,

I have 3ds max 2017 installed and followed the sdk guide to install the scripts and I am seeing them in 3ds Max. I have created a simple test cube and when I go to export it via export and LOD tool I receive a invalid LOA and guild format. I then tried using the command line XtoMDL as also receive a invalid guild format error. What do I need to do to correct this? Also, after corrected what do I need to do to get the object to show in sim director? Thanks in advance Seth
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Creating objects to place in Sim Director

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

What Windows locale setting are you using? You may need to change your decimal separator from ',' to '.'.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
skeadle6309

Post by skeadle6309 »

I am running Windows 10 Enterprise. I have been able to successfully create all files (X, XML, BGL and mdl). Still not able to import or find the objects inside of simdirector
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi,

Where have you placed your BGL file? Also, are you sure that the compiled BGL is correctly including the MDL file? Could you post the XML file you used with BGLComp?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
skeadle6309

Post by skeadle6309 »

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<!-- Sample object placement. Remove comment markers to place object east of 34R at Sea Tac. -->
<!--
<SceneryObject instanceId="{25e13dd9-82aa-4327-9ed5-d5a816f17278}" lat="47 25.89" lon="-122 18.43" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="{764595b3-1b58-4c8b-8bd9-fa42b5271f22}" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>

-->

<!-- Inclusion of model data. Use the 'Name' of this object to place -->
<!-- it in other locations. -->
<ModelData sourceFile="C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.1.7.22841\Modeling\3ds Max\3DSM2017_x64\Plugins\test.mdl" />
</FSData>
skeadle6309

Post by skeadle6309 »

When I compiled the BGL I used command line and received zero errors in command line. Looking to place the object at Tyndall AFB. Would realistically like to be able to place the object via sim director and not tied to a exact lat/long position
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

Have you corrected your LOD and GUID issue when exporting from 3dsMax? You can create a Friendly Name and GUID using the Export and LOD Tool. Within that tool, you can open the File Properties roll out and Create/Edit the name and GUID.

Once that is corrected, you'll need to export your .X file and compile it into MDL using XtoMDL. Then you will need to recreate your BGL using BGLComp.

Once you have the BGL, you will need to place it in a location that Prepar3D can find it. This can be done by setting up an add-on or by placing the BGL in a scenery location that Prepar3D can find.
Clifton Crane
skeadle6309

Post by skeadle6309 »

Sim Director will not allow me to place a BGL. That is what I am trying to figure out. How do I place the objects created in 3ds Max while in Sim Director? or is this even possible? Thanks again Seth
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

If the BGL is correctly being loaded, the BGL library objects should be listed as a Scenery Object in the Catalog. It should be displayed in the list with the Friendly Name assigned in 3dsMax as the title.
Clifton Crane
han.rohana

Post by han.rohana »

hi.. sorry to join in this topic. But I am having the same problem... Is it possible to add a .mdl into Sim Director to be placed manually as per satellite image.. and not being tied to lat lon pos set in bgl file. Have you find the solution?