Which Weather Engine?

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Skyrideruk

Which Weather Engine?

Post by Skyrideruk »

I'm looking to add a good weather engine into P3D (5.2), something that will produce visually good looking clouds & weather effects:

The obvious candidates are Active Sky or Rex Sky Force, but there are other options.

Can anyone recommend any particular weather engine, please? Also, do I need anything else, such as cloud art/textures to get the best looking results?

Many thanks.
Martyson

Re: Which Weather Engine?

Post by Martyson »

@ Skyrideruk ,

How important are other items like:
Excellent support?
Active support forum rather than e.g., support e-mail?
Upper level winds / temps ?
Product Updates cycles / patches?
Price ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Skyrideruk

Post by Skyrideruk »

@ Martyson

Thank you for your reply.

In answer to your questions:

Support is important, as there may be issues somewhere along the line, or advice needed.

I find support forums to be very useful in addition to the product official support service, which can be quite tardy these days.

Not fussed about upper level winds/temps.

Product updates/patches: as long as they keep pace with the requirements of any changes to the sim in which they are installed & keep working, that's fine with me!
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

Personally, & briefly, I had REX Skyforce originally with my P3d v4.5. Very happy with the cloud art. I then added Active Sky a while ago. Even more happier with the combination.

When P3d v5.2 came out, I made the jump and updated. Skyforce was very prompt to update and provide support along with Active Sky who promptly updated and again when the HF1 came out.

I couldn't be happier. Good live updated weather all the way up and nice progressively changing clouds and atmospherics.

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
Skyrideruk

Post by Skyrideruk »

Thanks Aussie. Just to clarify: what are you currently recommending for v5.2 HF1?

Thanks.
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

Personally, I use the latest REX Skyforce 3D TU 2.6 (with their weather turned off. They expect many users will, and is just a slider switch) and the latest Active Sky 3D.

Produces great depictions of weather for me on v5.2HF1.

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
Skyrideruk

Post by Skyrideruk »

Thanks Aussie, I will certainly consider that combination...