P3Dv4 & CPU useage

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
01thomas

P3Dv4 & CPU useage

Post by 01thomas »

Hi
P3D doesn't always run as I think it should. Sometimes it even crashes (no error message). I think it's because one of the 4 CPUs is running at 100% while the others are just above idle. I can see this on the Resource Monitor. So my question is, how can I force Win10 to spread the P3D load over more of the CPUs?
I though this is an advantage of the later sims compared to FS-9 but it doesn't seem to be the case here?
In older PCs we could adjust the affinities to force some of the non-sim applications onto other cores - can one still do that with win10? And is it even necessary or is there something else wrong?
The PC specs are Intel core i7 950 @ 3Ghz (4-core); 12 Gig RAM, Win 10 Pro;

regards
Thomas
JorgenSA

Re: P3Dv4 & CPU useage

Post by JorgenSA »

Thomas, try the AffinityMask calculator here:

https://www.gfsg.co.uk/affinitymask.asp ... m=utilties

Then add this to the beginning of your Prepar3d.cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xxx

where xxx is the value calculated.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
01thomas

Re: P3Dv4 & CPU useage

Post by 01thomas »

Thanks Jorgen, I'll try that.

regards
Thomas