ILS - how does it work in P3D?

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
adam2019

ILS - how does it work in P3D?

Post by adam2019 »

Hi all,

I want to get my head around this - hopefully some developers can help.

A little disclaimer before I speak - I understand the relationship between the PAPI and ILS (or lack of) as I fly a widebody. My query is purely sim and software related.

I notice alot of payware aircraft will read the ILS beam and/or the PAPI differently at the SAME airport. Eg; some aircraft fly an ILS accurately, with the PAPI showing "profile" most of the way down with a touchdown at the right spot, where as some will follow the ILS down and be planted very late in the TDZ with 4 whites (some the opposite with 4 reds and a deep landing). In other words it seems aircraft display the beam differently, with it having nothing to do with the "ground antennae" like RL. I notice a big difference in the aerosoft 330 vs the PMDG 737.

Default P3D airports seem to have a PAPI system built for a 182 - is it just me ?!

Quite keen to understand the reasoning behind this and if there's anything I can do to make it right. It drives me mad!

Thanks in advance.
Martyson

Re: ILS - how does it work in P3D?

Post by Martyson »

@ adam2019 ,

The ground equipment in the sim and RL is not the same (ILS location / bias).

You mentioned:
"In other words it seems aircraft display the beam differently, with it having nothing to do with the "ground antennae" like RL. I notice a big difference in the aerosoft 330 vs the PMDG 737."

Do you have screenshots (or video) of the Aerosoft and PMDG (PDF displays) during the approach at a specific default P3D airport / ILS runway?

Have you asked Aerosoft and PMDG Support?

Note: I only have PMDG737NGX/NGXu.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)