Future of P3D

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Blaunarwal

Re: Future of P3D

Post by Blaunarwal »

JorgenSA wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:31 pm Blaunarwal, I will take the liberty of repeating a statement I made earlier:

"You are asking a company to reveal their marketing strategy.

Not going to happen."

And I will add: especially not in this situation.

Jorgen
Jorgen, you still don't understand the point here. As a former communication officer in a large company I know, when you have to talk to the people. And communication professionals understand to not disclose secrets like marketing strategies if they don't want. Who sais, it is better to not tell the people, what strategy they follow. This may encourage people to stick with P3D4 instead of jumping off to MSFS. Unless LM is not interested in further earnings from this community, like Microsoft was after FSX, they would behave like this.
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I worked in major U.S. companies (software and hardware) for 16 years, with large public visibility.

None of us, even the marketing and the press liaison people, would ever say anything about our future plans.

At the most, a comment would be like: "we are looking into that", "it is being worked upon", or similar null statements.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

These were other times and LM is still in the old times I guess. Today active communication is the strategy. As I said before, to me it looks like LM has laid down its arms. So if I was not upset about Microsoft leaving us alone with FSX, I'd rather go for the new platform, because they promise something new, something wanted. But as you said, it's only promises now, nothing real.
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Today's "active communications" is, IMNSHO, many times a bunch of bovine byproduct (especially in politics, but that's a whole different story).

And if L-M indeed are old school, silence on their marketing strategy is then exactly what you can expect. So I would not be so sure that they have laid down their arms....

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
eallan

Post by eallan »

I've watched a few reviews from people who were invited to MS HQ to preview FS2020 and one, in particular, had the same views about MS deserting the community as some of you above.

However, I'm blown away by what I've seen so far. It's going to be a game-changer.

Look at the latest review on YT.
P3D v4.5 Orbx, Skalarki A320 Project Full cockpit, Jeehell FMGS A320. I7, 16gb, 2x GTX1080ti in SLI. 3x Benq 1080st Projectors
CaptBMckay

Post by CaptBMckay »

Of course they'd say that. They were invited to by Microsoft and who would openly be critical for such an experience. I think the sim will be an added bonus but nothing that would cause me to leave P3D. P3D swooped in when things looked bleak. I'm happy with my setup. I'm pretty certain, LM will deliver something as will Xplane. There is always this high level of hype until people really get to digest what MSFS will be.
mcdonar

Post by mcdonar »

Although I have no insider knowledge, a way forward for LM would be move away from the existing sim code by redeveloping their (mostly military) aircraft to run under MFS. This would keep their users up to date with scenery, etc. technology without having to develop their own.
Just a thought ;)
Regards, Richard
Win10, P3Dv5.0, PMDG 748 & 777, ASP5 + ASCA, vPilot, PFPX
BMW969

Post by BMW969 »

It seems that there will be no more new versions of P3D. LM is useful now to remain silent and maintain intrigue.
scruffyduck

Post by scruffyduck »

Those in the know can’t say, so any prediction is inevitably going to be speculation.

Jon
ScruffyDuck Software
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Bingo, Jon.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do not get that, or WILL not get that.

Jorgen

goodperson36

Post by goodperson36 »

Okay so I know that this an old forum that was done back in November.. I first of all made a comment on FSelite about and I made it clear that once MSFS 2020 hit the market developers would immediately stop making scenery for prepar3 dv4 and 5 and as a true prophet I was correct they have completely stopped making scenery for prepar v4 and 5.. now when I made that comment I was tarred and feathered saying that third party scenery for prepar would never cease even after MSFS 2020 came out ... Has anyone been to sim market lately page and pages of nothing but scenery for MSFS2020 go look if you don’t believe me...I love prepar and will stick with it not moving to MSFS 2020. But any of you that want to continue with prepar you might want to work something out with some smaller developers who will do a scenery for you but it’s kinda of expensive ...I am having one done right now and it’s going to cost me $150.00 for them to make it for me but in order to keep using prepar that’s what I will pay ...
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

goodperson36 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:51 pm Okay so I know that this an old forum that was done back in November.. I first of all made a comment on FSelite about and I made it clear that once MSFS 2020 hit the market developers would immediately stop making scenery for prepar3 dv4 and 5 and as a true prophet I was correct they have completely stopped making scenery for prepar v4 and 5.. now when I made that comment I was tarred and feathered saying that third party scenery for prepar would never cease even after MSFS 2020 came out ... Has anyone been to sim market lately page and pages of nothing but scenery for MSFS2020 go look if you don’t believe me...I love prepar and will stick with it not moving to MSFS 2020. But any of you that want to continue with prepar you might want to work something out with some smaller developers who will do a scenery for you but it’s kinda of expensive ...I am having one done right now and it’s going to cost me $150.00 for them to make it for me but in order to keep using prepar that’s what I will pay ...
@ goodperson36 ,

How long, on average, does it take a scenery developer to do a new scenery for P3D or MSFS [2020]?

Which scenery developers that you know are no longer doing P3D scenery, just MSFS [2020]?

Which scenery are you having developed for $150 and who is the developer?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
falconflyer

Post by falconflyer »

Well here I am back to Prepar3d flight simulator after a very disappointing 100% switch to MSFS2020. MSFS is still very much just a game, the Dev's are gamers not pilots. I do admit the eye candy will make it hard for me to switch back to Prepar3d but I am first a flight simmer not a gamer. I do enjoy flying MSFS2020 VFR in Carenado add-on aircraft but when I want to fly IFR the "game" is very limiting. The "live" weather is not even close to being accurate with the pressure changing drastically every few minutes requiring constant altimeter setting changes. The real world weather maybe raining with low overcast skies and poor visibility but in the "game" the "Live" weather may be scattered clouds with unlimited visibility and temperatures, barometric pressures not even close to the current real world metars. Don't even think about flying in the clouds if the temp is below freezing or you will be instantly covered in ice unable to see out the windshield and unable to remain aloft. There is no way to turn off this horrible unrealistic icing effect, no way to adjust visibility or move the heading bug less than 10 degrees at a time. I also miss flying PMDG study level aircraft. The MFSF2020 stock aircraft are full of bugs and terrible if you are looking for any realism. So for me the future of P3D is that I will be using it for a while. I wouldnt be surprised if MSFS2020 never improves these issues that are so important to flight simmers and several years from now I find myself still using P3D . BTW I am a real world airline pilot at a major US carrier so I have an idea about what I am talking about.
eiketre

Post by eiketre »

Prepar3D are still the best platform for my simulator flying. Airline, IFR, Homecockpit.

We know that Asobo is working on better live weather and multi-screen support msfs2020.

If L M can fix the EA problems and get an atmosphere and cloud rendering close to msfs2020, then I believe this will be a key element for LM regarding the future for P3D (For customers like me).
CPU:Core i9-14900KF RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz DISK: M.2 SSD OS: Win11
GPU: GeForce RTX 4090 24GB SCREEN: 3x, 85" TV FM: ProSim B38M COCKPIT: B737-MAX-8

Jan
mcdonar

Post by mcdonar »

With the majority of pilots using Navigraph for charts and navigation, Active Sky for weather, and VATSIM for ATC, the remaining major element of duplicate effort has to be that of airport scenery building.
Strategically, it appears that we will be better served by having a common effort to create airport sceneries if we have only a single design software for all of them. This of course depends on the viability of developing a single scenery design application that can simultaneously output the sceneries to MSFS, Prepar3D and X-Plane 11.
Regards, Richard
Win10, P3Dv5.0, PMDG 748 & 777, ASP5 + ASCA, vPilot, PFPX