Future of P3D

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
choppa

Re: Future of P3D

Post by choppa »

Obviously there is a lot of personal choice here...and that is a good thing for our hobby....healthy competition will drive sim products to an even greater level of fidelity.
As far as I am concerned, P3d and MSFS both have strengths and weaknesses, depending on your Sim level requirements. My only concern is the "noise" from LM has certainly been toned down since the arrival of MSFS...but as someone posted previously...LM does like to keep things close to their chest....however, the "noise" from MSFS can be heard from the moon. If they beat their chest any harder, they'll break a rib!
JOM4021

Post by JOM4021 »

Agree with you, except that, if it is the case, LM is maybe keeping it TOO close to their chest.
Without making all the noise that MS is doing, they need to give at least a general roadmap as to where they are going with some news now and then. Not doing so keeps us in the mist, reason why I have not bought any P3D add ons for six months now. And at least one scenery publisher hast stated lately that their P3D scenery sales are nearly non existent anymore.
So, it might be a vicious circle: no news - no sales, no sales - no interest from developers, no interest - no updates, and it is the end for the product...
With all its flaws, the force of MSFS is that we KNOW that they are working on the bugs, and that they solve them (even if they create new ones...). P3D’s EA has the cloud and colour flaws that we know, but are they working on it ? Absolutely no idea !
Communication IS important, all corporations should know that.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

What all corporations, especially in the software industry, do know, is that publishing information on what they are going to do in their next version is to give information away to their competitors.

What all corporations, especially in the software industry, also know, is that publishing information on what the timeline is for releasing their next version is to give information away to their competitors, and worse, it will set their user's expectations. So if those timelines slip - and they do more often than not - the corporation in question will be seen as unreliable.

The corporation in this case cannot afford to be seen as unreliable in the market sector they aim at - professional government and corporate flight training.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
choppa

Post by choppa »

Jorgen probably best if we agree to disagree.
Throwing a bit of burly on the water keeps the fish interested....
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good point, my dear Sir!

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

There is one thing we all have to remember, that being it was Microsoft that brought Flight Simulation to us mere mortals. It was not Lockheed Martin or Laminar (X-Plane). MSFS2020 has a few glitches and will be sorted out given time, and the graphics is phenominal and just about as the real world we live in. I personally have had one or two problems which were a pain in the backside but were sorted out and I really enjoy flying in MSFS2020. Did anybody honestly think that Microsoft were going to produce a new Flight Sim that was not going to give the competition a hiding. One only has to look at the amount of Licenses that MSFS2020 has sold to see where the future lies.

I only have MSFS2020 now installed on my PC and will have nothing else. All other Flight Simulators were uninstalled and will remain so. Here is to the future.
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

Uriah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm There is one thing we all have to remember, that being it was Microsoft that brought Flight Simulation to us mere mortals. It was not Lockheed Martin or Laminar (X-Plane). MSFS2020 has a few glitches and will be sorted out given time, and the graphics is phenominal and just about as the real world we live in. I personally have had one or two problems which were a pain in the backside but were sorted out and I really enjoy flying in MSFS2020. Did anybody honestly think that Microsoft were going to produce a new Flight Sim that was not going to give the competition a hiding. One only has to look at the amount of Licenses that MSFS2020 has sold to see where the future lies.

I only have MSFS2020 now installed on my PC and will have nothing else. All other Flight Simulators were uninstalled and will remain so. Here is to the future.
Actually it wasn't MS who started FS. It was Bruce Artwick Graphics who started it. That is why the scenery files have a bgl extension -- standing for Bruce Graphics Language. MS just bought the rights once they saw how it was selling.
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
choppa

Post by choppa »

Well said Sky...I have no idea why Uriah posts re his passion for MSFS...this is a P3d forum...sounds a bit like a "mine is bigger than yours" routine.
As I said before ...I just hope that LM throws some burly on the water soon, must admit, I am getting a bit peckish, so to speak.
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

choppa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 pm Well said Sky...I have no idea why Uriah posts re his passion for MSFS...this is a P3d forum...sounds a bit like a "mine is bigger than yours" routine.
As I said before ...I just hope that LM throws some burly on the water soon, must admit, I am getting a bit peckish, so to speak.
Thanks. I agree that at this point in time, LM needs to say something. Anything. Before I retired I was a Project Manager for large IT projects (my last one was for 10,000 seats) and while we didn't release specific dates for software releases, we always gave a general idea of what we were working on and the level of effort required. If LM did that, I think it would go a long way without tying them into a specific timeframe.

Have a great week!
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

"mine is bigger than yours"

I dont think so. Lets all take a good look at this shall we.......P3D is FSX and who produced FSX, Microsoft. I have licenses for P3Dv3,v4 and v5. when was the last time LM released an update for P3Dv5.........NOVEMBER 2020. Have LM said anything about future plans, NO because they in my opinion have been check mated. Microsoft/Asobo have been updating MSFS2020 every 2 weeks since its release and LM have not done jack since November 2020. Another thing with every major or standard update to MSFS2020 its FREE. With LM you have to pay for every new version, and its was not that much of an improvement in my opinion to the previous versions. The only improvement LM made was from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4....32bit to 64bit......that's it. Graphically P3D is and was mickey mouse if it was not for scenery developers, especially ORBX. If (and it is a big IF) LM decide to use lets say Google Maps they will only be copying MSFS2020 and Bing Maps, and it will take years.

P3D has not evolved enough with the technology that is available, and we are in the 21st Century.

OK ....Hit it, the floor's all yours.
choppa

Post by choppa »

Yawn...look mate, what you enjoy.....you enjoy...I, for one, one enjoy P3D ...why?...well, that is my business.
As I posted before, in my humble opinion, both products have their strengths and weaknesses...and it is down to the user to choose....and having a choice, is an important ingredient of a strong market economy.
If LM have decided to leave the playing field, well, there's not much we can do about that! Let's just hope that they haven't, because healthy competition will keep driving our hobby forward.
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

"healthy competition", from who? LM have not released any updates or said anything for 6 months. Microsoft/Asobo have been doing updates every 2 weeks for the past 9 months. With major updates Microsoft/Asobo now post for volunteers to test the updates before they are released. LM and Laminar have never done that. So who is moving the hobby forward then..........Microsoft/Asobo and none of the others.

I cannot understand how blinkered some forum users/people are.

"choppa", you say you enjoy P3D, Great, I wont ask you why, I'm not interested, but if I post my opinions I get slagged off and called names. Why is this.......whatever happened to freedom of speech ?

There many many forum users that are very narrow minded, so narrow minded in fact that they can look thru a keyhole with both eyes.(simultaniously)

Another thing P3D is supposed to be for Simulators and flying schools and not the general public to use as a game of sorts! So my question is why did they(LM), sell licenses to the general public.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

A small quote:

"whatever happened to freedom of speech"

Freedom of speech does not apply to private property, such as websites, shops, railroad stations, airports etc., including this site.

You can slag P3D and L-M all you want, but that does not change the fact that MSFS2020 is an expensive arcade game.

Jorgen

miraclemax

Post by miraclemax »

Well said JorgenSA! My sentiments exactly.
Rgds,
miraclemax
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

miraclemax wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:47 pm Well said JorgenSA! My sentiments exactly.
Rgds,
miraclemax
@ miraclemax ,

Did you purchase MSFS 2020?
If so, are you currently using their newest version?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)