ATC bug

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Tobago

ATC bug

Post by Tobago »

Today - and for the first time after four months of using P3Dv4 (version v4.2) - ATC had a very strange behaviour:
My flight plan from LGAV to LGKR was filed with a cruise at Flight Level 200 (It is a short flight), and that altitude was properly recorded and verified into the kneeboard flight planning, so this is not an input mistake on my part when making and saving the FP.

When reaching FL180 as requested initially by ATC, I was ordered to climb and maintain FL240, I complied thinking that perhaps I had overlooked a minimum safety altitude on that route, by the time I reached FL240 I had verified that there was no such MSA. But ATC thought differently and asked me to climb further to FL340 (I did not comply)... a few minutes later when switching to a different frequency, I was ordered to climb and maintain FL420 (I was still at FL240 and a few miles from the IAF and had already completed my descent for the VOR approach IAF).

I cannot explain either why ATC denied my requests to get a lower flight level. Interestingly when calling the ATC menu to go lower, the message sent to ATC showed that the Flight Level of 200 was correctly set since when flying at FL240 I asked for 4000 lower, the request to ATC translated as 16000...!!!

If you need any further detail, let me know.

Jean-Claude
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: ATC bug

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Jean,

Do you have any add-ons installed that may be interfering with altitude information? In your previous post you mentioned a bgl file installed by an add-on that caused various ATC issues. If you are having trouble pinpointing the cause our general debugging steps may help narrow it down as well:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Tobago

Post by Tobago »

Since the event you are referring to (two months ago), I did have a bgl in the wrong scenery folder that was interfering with ATC, after I rectified the problem, I never had any new occurence where ATC was affected in any way. Neither did I make any changes to my P3D before that flight of this morning, I made another flight yesterday with the same add-on (FSLabs A320) from LHBP to LGAV with no ATC issue.
I will make another flight today or tomorrow and shall report.
gets

Post by gets »

I have the same problem, and another one. When I load a flight plan the ATC box is not grayed out, but it just shows, contact tower, contact ground and request ATIS. It doesn't go to clearance delivery.
Sorry to piggyback on this thread.
Thanks.
i7-7700k 4.5 Ghz. 32 G RAM. Nvidia RTX 3060. Samsung 32" monitor. Two Samsung 1TB SSD.
Tobago

Post by Tobago »

After four new flights with different planes and routes, I did not have a recurrence of this rather odd ATC problem which, by the way, had nothing in common with the previous reported - and resolved - ATC issue of last January.