Advice.

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
xxdjxx

Advice.

Post by xxdjxx »

Hi all, I recently just made the move from FSX to P3D (finally) !!! my system isn’t the greatest but everything seems to be working okay vs FSX. Bit of a strange request but does anyone know if the MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES etc work within P3D same as FSX? I want some autogen but not as much as with the sparse setting as it kills my frames. Any ideas welcome 🙂
shermank

Re: Advice.

Post by shermank »

why not give it a try. The worst that can happen is that you will not like the look of things and can then revert to previous settings. BTW, I presume you mean making changes to the config.sys. If you do, I suggest you // existing settings before typing in new values. Then if you don't like what you see, you can simply go back, delete the new settings and the //, save config.sys and you will be back to normal.

Sherm
plonkarchivist

Post by plonkarchivist »

In P3D, you can still adjust autogen settings to find the right balance between visual quality and performance. MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES controls the maximum number of autogen trees displayed. You may experiment with different values to see what works best for your system.
Remember to consider other settings like AUTOGEN_DENSITY and SCENERY_COMPLEXITY, as they also play a role in managing autogen. Finding the optimal combination will help maintain good frame rates while enjoying a visually pleasing experiencedoodle baseball
xxdjxx

Post by xxdjxx »

Thanks for getting back to me.

Would the AUTOGEN_DENSITY and SCENERY_COMPLEXITY just be edited from settings? or is there something I can tweak with the CFG also?

Just getting used to all of the updating settings with a switch over from FSX. I don’t have the best machine so just trying to get a feel of what is going to really kill my frames etc.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Can you post your system's specifications, and what P3D version you have?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
xxdjxx

Post by xxdjxx »

From what I can see I have the below:

Intel 3825U CPU, running at 1.9 GHz, 4 GB of RAM and an Intel HD graphics adapter.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I think I remember - you have P3D v. 3, and we discussed this in another thread?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
xxdjxx

Post by xxdjxx »

Yeah sorry completely failed to answer that!!

P3Dv3,

Everything seems to be okay but i’m just trying to understand what settings are really not great for my machine because there’s new settings, but i remember turning my autogen down really helped so I have done that to sparse but it still seemed quite heavy.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

With your system, there is not a whole lot you can do.

The real problem is your lack of CPU horsepower and the Intel Graphics adapter. Replacement of any of those with more powerful components is very probably out of the question (I suspect this is a laptop), and so is overclocking.

I will add a link with things you can try in your prepar3d.cfg, but bear in mind that this were written for v. 5, so keep a record of what you do in case you need to undo it.

https://simmershome.de/prepare3d-v5-einstellungen/

The site is in German, but there is an English-language option.

Jorgen

xxdjxx

Post by xxdjxx »

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am looking for and I will have a look this weekend. I’m actually in the process of getting a new laptop, specifically a gaming one which will hopefully go some way in helping with performance as my current laptop doesn’t even sell anymore because it’s so old 😭😭, thanks again for all of your advice!
xxdjxx

Post by xxdjxx »

One thing I did want to ask, I see that people seem to have success with unlimited frames and others with locked. With basic flight i seem to get a smoother performance limiting my frames but with an add on like QW 757 it’s better with unlimited, is this the usual story from your experiences?