SimDirector tutorial: Create your own missions / scenarios

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
andi20

SimDirector tutorial: Create your own missions / scenarios

Post by andi20 »

Hello
(Hallo, Text in Deutsch weiter unten...)

Every beginning is hard, also in SimDirector.
That's why I created a tutorial with many pictures and step-by-step explanations.
This tutorial is available in English and German.

If you follow this guide and rebuild the mission, you can easily develop your own missions afterwards, because "learning by doing" imparts more basic knowledge than reading reference lists in the LearningCenter.

In this tutorial, a simple mission is created in which an oil leak occurs.
The tutorial is divided into 2 main parts:

- Parts 1 through 4 create a simple flight in which an oil leak occurs.
Here the different areas and basic functions of SimDirektor are explained, as well as some functions of Triggers, Actions, Objects, Areas, Goals...
You can build this tutorial in less than one hour.
After that you have enough basic knowledge to create your own simple missions.

- In part 5 to 10 the simple flight is expanded a bit more comfortable.
Instead of takeoff, climb, oil leak, land, the flight will go longer:
1) If you take care of the engine (reduce propeller speed), you can fly to the destination airport.
2) So that an oil leak can still occur, an oil leak will occur randomly.
How to install such a random generator, monitor the propeller speed and many other things, is explained here.

The manual can be found here:
https://andi20.ch/p3d/tutE1.html

Just an FYI:
When I made my first steps in SimDirector in 2018, I would have liked a tutorial like this.
I worked everything out myself and often got stuck on a problem for days.

I don't speak English, which doesn't make things any easier.
The Prepar3D and SimDirector help page is only in English.

Sure, you can read everything in detail in the help page, but where do you start?
There is help for every topic....

That's why I started by opening existing missions and analyzing them to find out:
- How did the creator monitor landing gear / flaps position, or altitude?
- How did the creator include mission picture, briefing and other.
- Where is the starting point of this mission?
- Where does this mission end?

I found out:

There is no clearly defined starting point, as with a book that begins on page 1.
A mission starts exactly when the flight starts.
Nothing happens until the first active trigger is fired, triggering some action.
In this example flight this is the "5s to start" trigger, if this would not be present, the "AreaTrigger", which starts the timer after the roll off, is the starting point.

By the way, a fixed mission end is only present if Goals are present in the mission. As soon as all Goals have been evaluated as "fulfilled", a window pops up with the text "Mission fulfilled".

Anyway, in the meantime I have created over 30 missions / scenarios, which I make available to everyone for free download
(see here).

- - -

Why should you create a mission at all? A simple flight will do.
Good question, in my tutorial this question is answered and proven.

Normal flight:
The problem with a normal flight is that you don't have full control over flight and settings to the aircraft:

You create a normal flight and want an oil leak to occur on the way.
So you set under Vehicles / Failures in the category "Engines" an oil leak, which should occur 4 - 5 min. after takeoff.

When testing the flight, you will notice that a few seconds after the oil leak occurs, the engine stops.

You do not have time
- to recognize the problem...
- to initiate appropriate countermeasures, or to react to it at all...
Not very realistic, is it? The oil flows out within seconds.

Mission:
Here you have full control, you can set how big the oil leak is:

At mission start you define that an oil leak occurs, but you can define how big the leak is.
100% = Maximum oil leak (same as normal flight)
0% = No oil leak (engine is 100% OK)
95% = Small oil leak (used like this in the mission, the oil drips out, takes about 5 minutes to empty).

You have plenty of time:
- Identify the problem...
- to initiate appropriate countermeasures, or at least to look for a place to land.

I hope my instructions were understandable and helpful.

Have fun with the rebuilding.

Greetings
Jörg

- - - - - - - - - -
Deutsch
- - - - - - - - - -

Titel:
Anleitung SimDirector: Erstelle eigene Misssionen / Scenarios

Text:
Hallo

Aller Anfang ist schwer, auch im SimDirector.
Darum habe ich eine Anleitung mit vielen Bildern und Schritt-für-Schritt-Erklärungen erstellt.
Diese Anleitung ist in Englisch und Deutsch verfügbar.

Wer dieser Anleitung folgt und die Mission nachbaut, kann anschliessend problemlos eigene Missionen entwickeln, weil mit "Lernen durch Tun" mehr Grundwissen vermittelt wird, als beim lesen von Referenz-Listen im LearningCenter.

Bei dieser Anleitung wird eine einfache Mission erstellt, bei welcher ein Öl-Leck auftritt.
Die Anleitung ist in 2 Hauptbereiche unterteilt:

- In Teil 1 bis 4 wird ein einfacher Flug erstellt, bei welchem ein Öl Leck auftritt.
Hier werden die einzelnen Bereiche und grundlegenden Funktionen des SimDirektor erklärt, ausserdem einige Funktionen von Triggern, Actions, Objects, Areas, Goals...
Diese Anleitung kann man in weniger als einer Stunde nachbauen.
Danach hat man genug Grundwissen, um Eigene einfache Missionen zu erstellen.

- In Teil 5 bis 10 wird der einfache Flug etwas komfortabler ausgebaut.
Anstelle von Start, Steigflug, Öl Leck, landen, wird der Flug länger gehen:
1) Wenn man den Motor schont (Propeller Drehzahl reduziert), kann man bis zum Zielflughafen fliegen.
2) Damit trotzdem ein Öl Leck auftreten kann, wird per Zufall ein Öl Leck auftreten.
Wie man so einen Zufallsgenerator einbaut, die Propeller Drehzahl überwacht und viele andere Dinge, wird hier erklärt.

Die Anleitung ist hier zu finden:
https://andi20.ch/p3d/tut1.html

Nur zur Info:
Als ich 2018 meine ersten Gehversuche im SimDirector machte, hätte ich mir eine Anleitung wie diese gewünscht.
Ich habe mir alles selber erarbeitet und bin dabei oft tagelang an einem Problem hängen geblieben.

Ich spreche kein Englisch, was die Sache nicht einfacher macht.
Die Hilfe-Seite von Prepar3D und SimDirector gibt es nur in englischer Sprache.

Klar, man kann in der Hilfe-Seite alles genau nachlesen, aber wo beginnt man?
Zu jedem Thema gibt es eine Hilfe...

Darum habe ich anfangs bestehende Missionen geöffnet und analysiert, um herauszufinden:
- Wie hat der Ersteller die Fahrwerks / Klappen Stellung, oder Flughöhe überwacht?
- Wie hat der Ersteller Missionsbild, Briefing und anderes eingebaut.
- Wo ist der Startpunkt dieser Mission.
- Wo endet diese Mission?

Ich habe herausgefunden:

Es gibt keinen klar definierten Startpunkt, wie bei einem Buch, welches auf Seite 1 beginnt.
Eine Mission beginnt genau dann, wenn der Flug startet.
Es passiert so lange nichts, bis der erste aktive Trigger ausgelöst wird, und irgendeine Action auslöst.
Bei diesem Beispielflug ist das der "5s bis Start"-Trigger, wenn dieser nicht vorhanden wäre, ist der "AreaTrigger", welcher nach dem Losrollen den Timer startet, der Startpunkt.

Ein fest definiertes Missions-Ende ist übrigens nur dann vorhanden, wenn Goals in der Mission vorhanden sind. Sobald alle Goals als "erfüllt" gewertet wurden, poppt ein Fenster auf, mit Text "Mission erfüllt".

Wie auch immer, inzwischen habe ich über 30 Missionen / Scenarios erstellt, welche ich allen kostenlos zum Download zur Verfügung stelle
(siehe hier).

- - -

Warum soll man überhaupt eine Mission erstellen? Ein einfacher Flug tut es doch auch.
Gute Frage, in meiner Anleitung wird diese Frage beantwortet und bewiesen.

Normaler Flug:
Das Problem bei einem normalen Flug ist, dass man nicht volle Kontrolle über Flug und Einstellungen zum Flugzeug hat:

Du erstellst einen normalen Flug und willst, dass unterwegs ein Öl Leck auftritt.
Also stellst du unter Vehicles / Failures in der Category "Engines" ein Öl Leck ein, welches 4 - 5 min. nach Start auftreten soll.

Beim Testen des Fluges wirst du feststellen, dass wenige Sekunden nach Auftreten des Öl Leck der Motor aus geht.

Du hast keine Zeit:
- das Problem zu erkennen...
- entsprechende Gegenmassnahmen einzuleiten, oder überhaupt darauf zu reagieren...
Nicht sehr realistisch, oder? Das Öl fliesst innert Sekunden aus.

Mission:
Hier hast du volle Kontrolle, kannst einstellen, wie gross das Öl Leck ist:

Bei Missionsstart definierst du, dass ein Öl Leck auftritt, kannst aber bestimmen, wie gross das Leck ist.
100% = Maximales Öl Leck (genauso wie beim normalen Flug)
0% = Kein Öl Leck (Motor ist 100% OK)
95% = Kleines Öl Leck (so in der Mission verwendet, das Öl tröpfelt heraus, dauert etwa 5 Minuten bis leer)

Du hast jede Menge Zeit:
- das Problem zu erkennen...
- entsprechende Gegenmassnahmen einzuleiten, oder wenigstens einen Landeplatz zu suchen.

Ich hoffe, meine Anleitung war verständlich und hilfreich.

Viel Spass beim Nachbauen.

Gruss
Jörg
Greetings
andi20 (Jörg)
JacobM

Re: SimDirector tutorial: Create your own missions / scenarios

Post by JacobM »

I just browsed through your instructions. Well done and thank you! I wish that this existed when I started making scenarios with SimDirector. If I ever get back into it, this guide will be an incredible resource. Once again, thank you for taking the time to make it!

-Jacob M
shermank

Re: SimDirector tutorial: Create your own missions / scenarios

Post by shermank »

Guten Tag und Danke,

I doubt that I will actually create any missions, but with that said, thank you for your contributions to our hobby. People like you prove that we have a vital and interested community of hobbyists still very much involved and interested in the P3D platform.

With gratitude,
Sherm