Flight Plan Structure

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
hanksterman00

Re: Flight Plan Structure

Post by hanksterman00 »

I am willing to make the effort but You have proven from your previous posts that there is no issue pulling a flight plan that was created with v5 up to v6. I will need a little tutoring on creating a plan thru the p3d flight v5 flight planner instead of LittleNavmap. Would like to use the exact example that i have been using all along since the start of this post. Noticed that you have mentioned twice about rebooting the computer after you have made changes. Is this necessary because of caching or some other reason ?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

hanksterman00 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:47 pm I am willing to make the effort but You have proven from your previous posts that there is no issue pulling a flight plan that was created with v5 up to v6. I will need a little tutoring on creating a plan thru the p3d flight v5 flight planner instead of LittleNavmap. Would like to use the exact example that i have been using all along since the start of this post. Noticed that you have mentioned twice about rebooting the computer after you have made changes. Is this necessary because of caching or some other reason ?
To create a simple flight plan as a quick test in P3D5.

type in :
Departure KDTW
Destination KORD

select:
VFR
Direct GPS
ok
Save it with a name like TEST

I reboot my PC after each flight or test.

Start P3Dv6 and load plan TEST

Did it work ?

You can do your custom flight plan later.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
hanksterman00

Post by hanksterman00 »

Okay. I loaded v5.4.9.28482 and created this plan from the P3Dv5 flight planner. I then rebooted the computer and loaded this same plan to v6.0.30.30926. Lost button focus and the plan loaded after a minute and thirty seconds until the ok button became active again. What next ?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="5,4">
<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
<FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
<Title>Test</Title>
<FPType>VFR</FPType>
<CruisingAlt>4500</CruisingAlt>
<DepartureID>KDTW</DepartureID>
<DepartureLLA>N42° 12' 44.707885",W83° 21' 12.200596",+000645.00</DepartureLLA>
<DestinationID>KORD</DestinationID>
<DestinationLLA>N41° 58' 38.373539",W87° 54' 28.820572",+000680.00</DestinationLLA>
<DeparturePosition>4R</DeparturePosition>
<DepartureName>Detroit Metro Wayne Co</DepartureName>
<DestinationName>O&apos;Hare International</DestinationName>
<DepartureIndex>-1</DepartureIndex>
<DepartureTransitionIndex>-1</DepartureTransitionIndex>
<DepartureRunwayTransitionIndex>-1</DepartureRunwayTransitionIndex>
<DepartureNextPoint>-1</DepartureNextPoint>
<ArrivalIndex>-1</ArrivalIndex>
<ArrivalTransitionIndex>-1</ArrivalTransitionIndex>
<ArrivalNextPoint>-1</ArrivalNextPoint>
<ApproachIndex>-1</ApproachIndex>
<ApproachTransitionIndex>-2</ApproachTransitionIndex>
<ApproachNextPoint>-1</ApproachNextPoint>
<AppVersion>
<AppVersionMajor>5</AppVersionMajor>
<AppVersionMinor>4</AppVersionMinor>
<AppVersionRevision>9</AppVersionRevision>
<AppVersionBuild>28482</AppVersionBuild>
</AppVersion>
<ATCWaypoint id="KDTW">
<ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N42° 12' 44.700698",W83° 21' 12.200596",+000645.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>KDTW</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="KORD">
<ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N41° 58' 38.366407",W87° 54' 28.820572",+000680.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>KORD</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
</FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
</SimBase.Document>
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Ok good,

The plan loaded into P3D6.

Now to continue and just verify this procedure works ok:
Select a P3D6 default aircraft at KDTW.
When P3D6 finishes loading then save the new flight which also saves the new plan and weather files.
Exit P3D6.

Reboot PC.

Now inspect the new flight plan in P3D6 files folder.
Does have the new SID/STAR etc data as expected?
No editing required.

Start P3D6 again.
Load the new flight (new plan will be included included).
Does it load fast (10 seconds or so) without problems?

Now, it appears all is working ok, correct?
Best Regards,
hanksterman00

Post by hanksterman00 »

Selected default aircraft and saved. SID/STAR etc is present. Rebooted. Started v6 again , loaded plan, less than three seconds load time. Works as expected. Want to add intersections to my plans now. Do not see how to do this intuitively thru help documentation or the plan interface for v6. Is there a source that explains the entire flight plan setup and it's settings in detail ?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Ok,

Glad to hear the flight plan is working in P3D6.

Flight planner:
P3D6 main folder
learning center.chm (mouse double left click)

Select:
navigation
flight planner

SID/STAR/transitions etc:
Select:
What is New section:
What’s New in Prepar3D v6:
•Enhanced Flight Planner screen supporting the addition of SIDS and STARS to flight plans.

Note: You would need aviation charts/IFR SID/STAR/Approach Charts to know which selections to make.
Best Regards,
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

What happened to IFR in P3D6.1? It seems to be totally gone.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hi bullfox ,

I just did a quick IFR plan and it looked ok (screenshot).

Can you describe your IFR plan problem and include a screenshot?

How to Post Screenshots (by Chris Metel):
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=141933

Best Regards,
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

I am using the in program P3D flight planner. I do very simple flight plans. Just the starting and destination airports with gps routing for IFR and VFR mode. New flight plans display normally in the flight planning window. The flight plan seems to be created, saved, and loaded with no problem. However, when I start the flight it starts in VFR mode. Once I get into the air I can load the IFR flight plan but it doesn't seem to work properly. ATC will direct me to the proper altitude but it doesn't supply any headings, and it will direct me down coming to the destination, but just flies me right over the destination airport with no routing to an ILS approach or even a visual approach.

This begin to happen after loading the latest 6.1 version. I though it first it was just something new, but nobody else seems to be having this problem so I am beginning to suspect it it something unique to my installation. I had the latest version of P3D5, upgraded to P3D6 in October, and upgraded to P3D6.1 shortly after it came out. I have a lot of Orbx and Fly Tampa scenery. I mostly fly A2A and Carenado aircraft. I'm running an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D with a Radeon RX 6900XT video card on Win 10. Except for this problem every thing has upgraded smoothly from FSX through 5 all the way to 6.1. Up until this the system has been rock solid.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

" The flight plan seems to be created, saved, and loaded with no problem.
However, when I start the flight it starts in VFR mode."

Which aircraft ?
How do you verify it is starting in VFR mode?
Best Regards,
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

So far all aircraft I have tried. Carenado B120 , C337, and Phenom 300. Seems that airplane, altitude, or destination does not matter. After starting a flight with an IFR flight plan loaded when I bring up ATC the program does not ask for IFR clearance, it just asks if I want to depart North, South, East, West, or remain in pattern. Once I take off it gives me the option to load an IFR flight Plan, but IFR routing does start.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I did two quick tests (screenshots).
You are correct.

P3D5.4.9.28482
IFR flight
ATC
ATIS
Clearance
Both OK

P3D6.1 Persional 6.1.8.31568
IFR flight
ATC
My KDTW ATIS frequency is wrong (no contact)
No Clearance choice

Best Regards,
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

Thanks! I was thinking its either my installation or some change in P3d6.18. My system has been rock solid, and it did not seem likely that 6.18 was screwed up. Until now, nobody else was reporting this problem, so I thought is was just me, but maybe not many people do it anymore with the in program flight planer. So thanks again for helping me to confirm its maybe not just me. I'm active on the Orbx forum so I see if I can getll get someone there to try activating IFR flight planning and report back.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

You are welcome.

Just to verify.

Once you are in the air are you able to follow the IFR GPS flight plan?
Best Regards,
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

Since I am following a straight line GPS course its hard to say. The program does not give me a heading after I take off but before I initialize the auto pilot. For example, If the course is to the north but I takeoff to the south because of wind direction, I get no headings at all in the northward direction or any other direction. I have to manually fly to the GPS course and lock on to it when I get close to the GPS heading.

The only thing ATC seems to do correctly in IFR mode is change altitude. The program does not do any course corrections or course changes, which is especially noticeable on descent and approach since ATC does not issue any course to the proper approach. That plus not being able to load an IFR flight plan initially on the grounds and getting a VFR clearance at the runway to take off even with an IFR plan loaded are the things I mainly notice that are wrong.

I have tried to look for a corrupted file with no results. Regardless of how the ATC works, its so deep within the program that I cannot find the files that run it with my limited programing ability.

P3D 6.18 is a great program. The visuals can be better than what I have seen in MSFS on line (I don't have MSFS). So I hope we can get this problem solved