Resetting the scenario loads another scenario

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Redglyph

Resetting the scenario loads another scenario

Post by Redglyph »

Hello,

When I want to restart the current scenario, if I do "Reset scenario", it actually loads the default scenario. The tip is very clear though, it shows "reset the current scenario", not the default one.

And indeed, it would be very handy to be able to restart the current scenario, instead of having to re-create it entirely from scratch.

I reported that a few months ago, but was apparently misunderstood, and the thread was closed (not sure why). If that bug report is offensive, please let me know, and in what way. Since the bug was not registered and is still in 3.2, I'm reporting it again.

Details

1) The default scenario is, for example, at KTVL, in the parking area. I'm currently running a scenario at TAP (Tapini), starting on the runway.

2) When I click "Scenario / End Scenario", or when something bad happens such as the aircraft being operated out of its limits and the simulation stops, it opens a pop-up with several choices (load scenario, new scenario, ..., and reset scenario).

3) I click on "Reset scenario".

=> the scenario starts at the KTVL location, where I was expecting the TAP location.

In a similar way, if I click directly on "Scenario / Reset scenario", the same bug occurs.

If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
Mike LM

Re: Resetting the scenario loads another scenario

Post by Mike LM »

On a scenario reset, the simulator loads the last scenario loaded or saved. If you used the scenario startup screen to make a custom scenario at the start and have loaded no other scenarios, it will go to your default scenario.

How are you loading your TAP scenario? Are you creating it through the new scenario or the scenario startup menu? Or did you save it and have been loading it from a separate file?

If you are creating the scenario each time via the new scenario or scenario startup menu, then the behavior that you're seeing is expected.

- Mike
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

Ah, I see. I wasn't saving the scenario, in fact. But I just did a test now, detailed below:
1) I had my default, custom scenario called "current" saved yesterday, (so to be clear: it's flagged as the default scenario)
2) I saved a "tmp" scenario today, (I'm creating it from the start window, I'm not checking the default flag, just saving it, and it's the latest saved scenario)
3) I ran the "tmp" scenario a little bit (I'm running it directly after creating it, from the start window),
4) I clicked on "Scenario / Reset scenario"

=> the "current" scenario is loaded. From what you are saying, I would expect "tmp" to load again, so the "Reset scenario" does not entirely work as expected.

It's quite annoying because:
1) it often loads a whole other part of the world, which means waiting for nothing (and risking an out-of-memory).
2) if indeed the user needs to save every scenario in order to be able to reset to it, that should probably be done automatically by the software. I can always try to remember and save it under the same name to avoid ending up with many "temporary" scenarios, it's just very awkward. In any case, it seems not to work that way.

Could that be a valid feature request?

I did a second test:
1) launched Prepar3D again,
2) did a Load scenario and chose "tmp"
3) ran it a little bit
4) did a "Scenario / Reset scenario"

=> this time, "tmp" is reloaded.

So it seems the reset is not entirely consistent, it reloads the last "manually" loaded scenario, but not if that's just after its creation. I think that even if the change request above is rejected, this little quirk would deserve some attention, obviously that's what a user would want (by lack of a better option like being able to reset the last scenario, even if not saved) :)
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

What you're experiencing isn't intended then. Try doing the following steps:
  • Run Prepar3D with "Show Scenario Startup Screen" enabled.
    On the startup screen, change the weather, aircraft, and airport. Hit OK.
    Go to Scenario > Save. Name it something new.
    Turn on the engine to move the aircraft a bit.
    Go to Scenario > Reset.
    You should have the same settings that you selected in the startup screen.
If you are back in your default scenario, try clearing out your generated files and reinstalling your client.

- Mike
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

If I follow your steps, I have the same result as before, when doing a reset it reloads the default scenario instead of the last saved (and run) one.

Since then, I had re-installed P3D entirely, yet this behaviour remains the same so it must be a bug.

Next thing I'll have to check is whether resetting the scenario while the aircraft is moving makes it move when restarting the loaded scenario. That's what I had observed once but it's quite rare to do such a procedure and I haven't tried since.
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
RobAPol

Post by RobAPol »

I get exactly the same issue. If one creates a situation on the start up screen, and say crashes the aircraft, the system will reset post crash to the default scenario - the one with the F35 Lightning.

This is a little unintuitive and as pointed out above, a big hassle as the system ends of loading a whole new area and aircraft that are not wanted. This results in one having to exit and then recreate one's scenario all over again :/
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

Could you reproduce the problem?
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

RobAPol- Try following the steps above to see if you get the same result.
Run Prepar3D with "Show Scenario Startup Screen" enabled.
Go to Scenario > Reset.
Redglyph- Using the steps above, if you change the scenario to be your default scenario after "Go to Scenario > Save. Name it something new," do you still see the issue?

- Mike
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

Mike LM wrote:RobAPol- Try following the steps above to see if you get the same result.
Go to Scenario > Reset.
Redglyph- Using the steps above, if you change the scenario to be your default scenario after "Go to Scenario > Save. Name it something new," do you still see the issue?

- Mike
I should try again to confirm, but I'm pretty sure I tried that several times and when I set it to default, it's reloaded on a reset, otherwise it's not.
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

Mike LM wrote:RobAPol- Try following the steps above to see if you get the same result.
Go to Scenario > Reset.

- Mike
Mike,

Actually, scratch what I wrote last time. I did the test, and it reloads another scenario on reset.
So
- I create a new scenario, save it, make it default, all that from the scenario startup page;
- I launch the scenario and run it for a while;
- I reset the scenario from the menu (scenario / reset).

A previous scenario is loaded instead.
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

Mike LM wrote:On the startup screen, change the weather, aircraft, and airport. Hit OK.
Redglyph wrote: I create a new scenario, save it, make it default, all that from the scenario startup page;
That's where we differ: saving from the startup screen and saving after loading the scenario.

The behavior you're experiencing isn't intended, and I've opened a ticket to work on a solution. Sorry for all of the confusion.

- Mike
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

Mike LM wrote: The behavior you're experiencing isn't intended, and I've opened a ticket to work on a solution. Sorry for all of the confusion.

- Mike
Thanks, Mike!
Not a blocking issue, but still confusing at times. Also, if that doesn't make it more complex to change, being able to reset to the current scenario without having to save it would be much more convenient, and would avoid having hundreds of saved scenarios after a while...
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

That's definitely something that we'd like to do!

Are you every re-flying your past scenarios? If not, you can just have one and continuously save over it.

- Mike
Redglyph

Post by Redglyph »

It depends but usually I'm not flying past scenario that often, not yet anyway - I may for instance when I get a new aircraft.

Yes, sometimes I'm saving with a name like _tmp or similar, but being sometimes somewhat absent-minded, it occurred more than once to regret it when I forgot to do so ;-)
P3D v3.2, Windows 7 x64