OOM with plenty of free RAM and VAS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Demious

Post by Demious »

I installed a freeware scenery addon, by copying the folders to the Prepar3d/scenery folder and manually added entries for it to the scenery.cfg and now P3D doesnt start up anymore. Every time I start P3D I get an OOM message when the flight starts to load, but there's only 2,5GB RAM in use and there's well over 2GB of free VAS.

What could cause a thing like this and what can I do to fix this?

Kosta

Post by Kosta »

Remove the addon from the scenery.cfg and delete the addon files - obviously not compatible with P3D.

The cause is simple: the scenery code doesn't seem to be compatible with P3D.
Demious

Post by Demious »

It's indeed a pack for FSX, but I've got more FSX addons installed and they always let the sim start. Problems I've seen are floating or missing buildings, which is easy to correct by converting bgl-files to P3D2.
Is there something I can do to make this addon compatible, or would does this mean that the scenery has to be redeveloped for P3D? (this is an Egypt scenery and I've been searching for that for years and this is the only thing I was able to find, so I would really, really, really like to get this package working)
OldAirMail

Post by OldAirMail »

Just because one FSX plane or scenery works doesn't mean that ALL will work.

If scenery X crashes the program, then you have three choices;
1. remove it
2. contact the scenery creator

"so I would really, really, really like to get this package working"
3. learn to create your own scenery.

Sorry, there is one more choice - install FSX for the times when you want to use that scenery.

It all depends on how much you "really, really, really" want it. I suspect that you'll choose option #1.
Demious

Post by Demious »

I indeed got FSX:SE installed for those cases, but in the end I still hardly use it. I'm pretty stuck to P3D. :P
I would love to create a full scenery for Egypt, but I've been collecting pictures from airports and all those archeological sites for a while and I'm no way close to getting a decent view on which textures I'd have to create. For example, pictures from the valley of the kings that are available, are almost all taken in the same directions, of the same parts of the valley, it's hard to create a complete overview to be able to build a mesh for it. And then I'd have to start from the bottom up with learning how to build everything. :P
I hope to get there some day, but it wont be any time soon, I'm afraid. ;)
OldAirMail

Post by OldAirMail »

Good luck to you, I've got the artistic talent of a dead cat.

When I tried to make a simple airport, I gave up so quick that I had whiplash.