UK Airspace Scenery Project

Forum for Prepar3D Developers to show off their work or post about their add-ons or content created for Prepar3D
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

As most people are aware, the default data shipped with FSX/P3D dates back to 2006 at the latest and probably some before that!
For the past couple of months I have been quietly working on a not so little project to update the airspace in FSX/P3D so that it matches the real world as defined in the UK AIP.
My blog with further details if you're interested is here: http://www.flightsimscenery.blogspot.co.uk/
Cheers K
Avidean

Post by Avidean »

Thanks you kevin. I have bookmarked that and I will soon
get a hankering for the British isles again and get into the details.
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

New updated files created including ENR5.1 Danger, Prohibited and Restricted airspace.
AD2 Aerodromes updated to include the new class D airspace for EGMC Southend which is effective today in rl.

Download link for files now active as well!

http://flightsimscenery.blogspot.co.uk/ ... dates.html
Wills

Post by Wills »

This looks fantastic Kevin - Thank you!
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

No problem, I'm open to suggestions if there's any other aspect of the AIP people would find useful... k
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

...Id be particularly interested in feedback from anyone who works with default OR addon ATC packages please. I assume that correct airspace definitions will enable ATC logic to give a more accurate interaction, but I havent had time to test this. Thanks K
nigelallenby

Post by nigelallenby »

Hi Kevin

Downloaded your excellent UK Airspace Scenery Project and it certainty improves Plan-G that I use but found that when I'm flying VFR RAF Brawdy EGDA to RAF Chivenor EGDC as an example, I remain in Brawdy tower frequency all the time until I'm 10km from Chivenor when I'm given an option to change frequency.

I've done three flights from different airports and the same thing, can't tune to Approach frequency when leaving an airport. Downloaded your replacement .bgls and isolated the default ones but have I missed something?

Regards

Nigel
Intel i9-10900K. ASUS Z490 ROG Maximus XII Hero M/B. 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4Ram. ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphic card. 500GB SSD HD , secondary 1000GB HDD, third 1000GB. Corsair RM750 Gold 750watt PSU. Win10 Home 64bit
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Hi Nigel,

RAF Brawdy doesn't feature in my work at all. In fact it was decommissioned in 1992 becoming Cawdor barracks, an army base. My scenery won't offer you any approach freq because to all intents and purposes in 2015 Brawdy doesn't exist!
RAF Chivenor is still in use as a government aerodrome, but is listed in the AIP as Chivenor Radio, indicating there will be no approach control.

The AIP information is...
----------------------
CHIVENOR ATZ
A circle, 2 nm radius centred at 510514N 0040901W longest notified runway (10/28)
Upper limit: 2000 ft - Class: G

CHIVENOR RADIO - English - H24

130.200 MHz - A/G - (See notes)
Elevation: 27 ft. - Runway length: 1833 m. -Government Aerodrome.
SAR helicopter unit. Frequency monitored subject to SAR Operations.
Gliding activities occur on aerodrome.
----------------------

My atc info for Chivenor is... <Com frequency="130.2" type="UNICOM" name="CHIVENOR RADIO"/>

The Brawdy tower information must be coming from a different scenery - have you got something installed for there please?
I can't comment on your other flights because I don't know where they were to/from, so if you want to let me know I'll see what I can deduce about them as well?

Cheers K
nigelallenby

Post by nigelallenby »

Hi Kev,

I'm an ex-RAF engineer and spent 23 years in the RAF from 1963-1986, (the best period in my view) and have modified a lot of airfields back to their glory days as I knew them. Due to the fact that I don't know the ATC frequencies of the airfields that are now disused, I created my own e.g:- RAF Chivenor Tower is 122.500, RAF Brawdy Tower is 128.700, RAF Upwood Tower is 129.700 and so on. I tried a search on Google for frequencies of old RAF airfields with no luck so made my own up.

If I understand you correctly because I'm using de-comissioned/old airfields with non-recognized ATC frequencies, I will never hear any approach frequencies when flying VFR from them? I noticed that the AI traffic was static at these airfields as well which is probably the reason why.

Shame, I'll have to go back to the default files.

Regards, Nigel
Intel i9-10900K. ASUS Z490 ROG Maximus XII Hero M/B. 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4Ram. ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphic card. 500GB SSD HD , secondary 1000GB HDD, third 1000GB. Corsair RM750 Gold 750watt PSU. Win10 Home 64bit
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Nigel, would you send me the scenery files for the airfields youre using please, it might be possible to easily help you out with some bespoke stuff :p My scenery as it is wont achieve what you are looking for :) K
nigelallenby

Post by nigelallenby »

By "scenery files" I assume you mean the ADE .bgls for the airfields which are going to be quite a few. I also use UK2000 Vols 1 to 3 plus the Scottish Volumes by Playsims over VFR PhotoScenery.

Nigel
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Yes please Nigel :) Just a couple to start with so we can look at what your sim
is working with... Cheers K

I use the UK2000 as well, but not the Scottish scenery...
nigelallenby

Post by nigelallenby »

OK, Kev, but I need a e-mail or Dropbox address since this site doesn't use attachments.

Nige

kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Nigel, please send any info to me at flightsimscenery@virginmedia.com ...
Cheers K
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Nigel, I had a look at the 2 files you sent me for Brawdy and Coltishall.
My project does not add anything for these locations at all.
The files you are using specify only a ground frequency for Brawdy. I can add some airspace in for you in a bespoke file but AFAIK you'll need to have the EGDA_ADEX_ANF.BGL file modified to provide some other comms frequencies. Easily done of course, if that's something you're comfortable doing let me know what comms info you add and I'll match that.
In relation to Coltishall, EGYC_ADEX_MSH.BGL contains info for Approach, ATIS, Departure, Ground and Tower. I can work with that info to add some airspace for Coltishall.
Do you want to send me some other files to look at in the same way?
Cheers K