"Could not write value Complete to key...."

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi,

I know others have seen this message towards the end of the Prepar3d v2.0.9448.0 Setup (see image):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/ ... _error.jpg

My question relates to whether selecting 'Ignore', as I have done, affects the integrity of the installation in any way? After clicking on 'Ignore', Setup completed and Prepar3D appears to be running as expected, all its currently observed foibles notwithstanding.

I thought I would try to investigate this a little further and started with the log file located in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp:

Prepar3D_v2_Academic_20131203191831_3_Prepar3D.log

Appearing near the foot of the log is the following text:

MSI (s) (E4:D4) [19:48:59:988]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=Dependencies,Parent=Complete,Absent=2,Component=&vxNe=naYAhU^7]fVe{$NFBAG*[u99Y]K4kcecjEd!vc({gg!@^v@1W7($kzuqA(h=48E=g2Sp3q74D9lB}0ztdTb=2vZ[^6@RnJJ8WZ]OPRH@H?*yftDvtF)

Error 1406. Could not write value Complete to key \Products\A8FF3B2933C3CFE458D0FC925E24299D\Features. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

And, further down:

MSI (s) (E4:D4) [19:49:08:848]: Product: Prepar3D v2 Academic -- Installation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (E4:D4) [19:49:08:864]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Prepar3D v2 Academic. Product Version: 2.0.9448.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Lockheed Martin. Installation success or error status: 0.

This would suggest that the installation did complete successfully.

My next port of call was the Windows7 registry. It took a while, but eventually I found the relevant key and its content:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\A8FF3B2933C3CFE458D0FC925E24299D\Features

DWORD = Dependencies

Data Value = &vxNe=naYAhU^7]fVe{$NFBAG*[u99Y]K4kcecjEd!vc({gg!@^v@1W7($kzuqA(h=48E=g2Sp3q74D9lB}0ztdTb=2vZ[^6@RnJJ8WZ]OPRH@H?*yftDvtFComplete

This string matches that found in the above log file and at the end appears the word 'Complete'

So, where does that leave me and others who, I am assuming, will see the same if they care to investigate?

Do I, despite the message appearing near the end of the Setup, have a full (complete) and valid installation?

Mike

Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi Mike,

Sorry is this is a silly question, you sound quite competent. Did you disable your windows UAC? User account control? and did you install as an administrator?

Meaning more than logged on as administrator you need to right click on the installer and actually run it as an administrator.

As those problems seem to be related to permissions.

Regards,

Saul.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Saul,

Yes, UAC has been disabled - one of the first things I did on setting up this laptop a couple of years ago. Running installers as Administrator is another habit of mine. I'm pretty sure I would have done so in this case although, admittedly, it's hard for me to prove.

Are you able to provide any feedback regarding the questions in my post? Does Prepar3D appear to have installed correctly despite that somewhat cryptic message? Does it matter that I 'ignored' that message towards the end of the Setup?

Kind regards,

Mike
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi,

I note over 50 folk have viewed this thread to date. I'm sure several will have seen this issue and checked their registries to see whether that entry is in any way different to mine yet so far none have felt motivated to post their findings. This is a little disappointing and doesn't really help very much. Also LM appear to have lost interest as no feedback has been offered other than to suggest this might be a permissions issue. Bottom line: do I need to reinstall?

Mike
Saul

Post by Saul »

I searched my registry for the string in your error and nothing shows.

I'd guess you do have a full installation, have you tried running P3Dv2?

Do you get any errors when trying to run P3Dv2?

Regards,

Saul.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Saul,

Interesting.

No, none so far. Seems to run pretty well . Last night I tried flying the heli through those hoops and it ain't easy. Sim seemed stable and performance fluid enough. I've been in and out of the sim many times and played around with the menus but, so far, have resisted the temptation to stray from the default settings. I've noticed on switching to an external view of an aircraft it can take a few moments to appear on the screen. However, once loaded that issue goes away. My HD is not SSD. I imagine I'll start fixing and tweaking before long.

I wonder whether that somewhat cryptic message referred to the DirectX 9 component of the DirectX installation as others have mentioned? I know my DirectX is fully up to date so the installer wouldn't have had to update anything. Perhaps that's why all appears 'okay', I don't know and without any feedback from LM I can only speculate and it's more than likely that I'm way off target.

There are issues as we know. Briefly, I was somewhat disappointed with the water - seemed strangely out of focus and there is no sense of realism around the coastlines. It's almost like the land appears to be floating on the water. Menus are very sensitive and several selection attempts are often needed to get an option to stick. The Map needs work.

I tried disabling FXAA and frame rates lifted without much change in image quality. I upped the texture quality to 2048. I set the limiter to unlimited, VSync Off and tried the effect of checking and unchecking triple buffering. Doesn't seem to make much difference either way. Sim remains reasonable smooth and possibly might improve further if I tried disabling SLI, which is enabled at the moment. I have other applications which do use it.

I have not experienced any program crashes and have now flown several aircraft while enjoying the lighting effects with moving shadows in cockpit.

Clearly this sim has great potential - impressive it may be, but it still needs some more work.

Thanks for responding.

Regards,

Mike
grajay

Post by grajay »

Hi Mike

I too have the identical issue as yourself. P3D apparently installed successfully and I was able to register it as well with both installation and registration confirmed with success messages. I am surprised and disappointed in the lack of response by LM to this thread and will consider my options to opt out of using P3D and get a refund if this goes on for much longer as it doesn't bode well for any future issues that may arise.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Grayjay,

It's always good to know you're not alone. Thanks for contributing.

I wouldn't rush into doing anything rash as I'm sure this will all be resolved given some time and patience. Having said that, I'm glad my main workhorse, v1.4, has not been uninstalled and I can run both side by side until v2 is fixed.

If you think we have problems, I suggest you head over to the Egosoft forums and read what is being said about X:Rebirth. I feel sorry for the Developers of this latest addition to the 'X' series who, quite clearly, had been forced to release this product to market long before it was ready. You wouldn't believe the hysteria and vocally disappointed pronouncements being made by the 'loyal' followers of the brand. Yet the developers are patiently soldiering on with their efforts to put things right. Thankfully we as a community recognise that it is often necessary to release complex software like Prepar3D before it is strictly ready as financial constraints frequently dictate that this should be so. This is, of course, far from being ideal, but at least we know and understand that in the Prepar3D Development Team we have co-operative partners who are willing to listen, offer feedback (as time permits) and are dedicated to working towards getting things right. The same can be said for the X:Rebirth Developers, if only the purchasers of their product will give them a chance. Actually it's happening already despite all the quite understandable but counter-productive protesting that is still going on over there.

Where many great flight Simulators are concerned 'twas ever so. For many of us who have lived through it all, it's always an interesting challenge and, in the end, our efforts will encourage everyone involved to take ownership of Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D v2, and......future planned improvements mean there are still many refinements waiting to excite us!

Regards,

Mike
grajay

Post by grajay »

Hi Mike

I hear what you say, but there's a similar thread here : http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... c&t=3853.0 which has also apparently been ignored. Folks there trying all manner of things to get a clean install without any error. Like I said, mine does appear to be working correctly, but the support does seem to be lacking.

Graham
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Graham,

Yes, I am aware of that other thread and, yes, it is disappointing that we are not receiving much in the way of feedback about this frustrating issue. However, there could be a good reason for the delay. I suspect LM are currently as baffled as we are and have been unable to pin down a common cause. Just as there are a huge variety of hardware and software configurations out there, equally there may turn out to be multiple causes. That does beg the question, however, as to why the installer didn't have the necessary tolerances built in to avoid such events from occurring. It should at least allow the installation to complete and, failing that, if elements are missing then the user should be advised with comprehensible messages to allow the appropriate corrective measures to be made before trying again.

It appears we have been lucky and, for all we know, it's possible that we may be amongst the majority who are not yet experiencing any show stopping issues, fingers crossed. Reading other people's comments, their experiences might suggest that having administrative permissions may in fact turn out to be a red herring as installations are still being hampered despite these, including the disabling of UAC, being in place prior to running Setup. The other possibility being mentioned is the incomplete or corrupt installation of elements of the .Net framework. Is that likely when so much pre-existing contemporary software depends on it functioning correctly? Surely we would be aware of such a problem? Also one has to ask why the developers don't seem to be aware why that message is appearing; after all, someone must have written the code as part of an error trapping routine and it should be documented.

Like everyone else, I'm in the dark. I have to assume that my installation was indeed successful despite that message, yet there persists that niggle at the back of my mind: is something missing? Thus far, my experience with the simulator suggests otherwise. I just wish LM would confirm this to be the case.

I wonder whether we will be told to first uninstall this version before installing v2.1, in which event all this may turn out to be moot.

Regards,

Mike
grajay

Post by grajay »

Hi Mike

I think it would be courteous just for LM to acknowledge the issue - then we can just keep our heads down and await either a resolution or to ignore it.
apollo

Post by apollo »

the error message "Could not write value Complete to key" level may be misleading, it will come up if your graphics hardware does not fully support DirectX feature level 11. some graphics cards support DirectX 11 only partially, but it has to be 100% feature level 11 in hardware to work with P3Dv2. software emulation of DirectX 11 as implemented on some older cards or as found in many laptops won't cut it.
Francois

Post by Francois »

So does a GeForce 580 GTX cut it? Since I was getting that message too almost every time..... without further indication as to where or why.
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Quote:
Quote from Francois on December 10, 2013, 03:14

So does a GeForce 580 GTX cut it? Since I was getting that message too almost every time..... without further indication as to where or why.

Hi Francois,

I have 2xGeForce GTX 580Ms with 2x2GB DDR5 in my Alienware M18X and the sim hums along nicely while flying around the default flight situation in the F-22 Raptor. I know I shouldn't really be running in SLI at the moment but, for some inexplicable reason, desktop operations become a tad unstable when SLI is disabled - periodic brief freezes rather than crashes. However, Prepar3D 1.4 and Prepar3D v2 run very smoothly and frame rates can be as high as 50-60.

VSync =off and Frame Rate = unlimited. Even when I see frame rates in the 20s performance is good, although I do see the occasional micro stutters. These go away when I disable tessellation and, to be honest, I don't see a great difference in image quality. When I start the sim with the F-22 sitting on the runway in Virtual Cockpit view frame rates are around 48fps.

CURRENT SETTINGS:

Textures = 2048x2048

Monitor resolution = 1920x1080 x32

FXAA = off

MSAA = 4 Samples

Anisotropic = 16x

Scenery mostly still at default settings = High, High, 19m, 1m

Scenery Objects = Normal, Normal, Normal

Special Effects = Medium, Medium

Water Detail = Medium

Reflections = Clouds, User Vehicle

Lighting = Lens flare, HDR Lighting

Shadow Quality = Medium

Weather = Defaults

Traffic = None

So, all fairly modest settings at present (and the sim looks good) although I'm hoping for an uplift once LM introduce SLI implementations. I know it's perhaps not a fair comparison, since there is a lot more going on in Prepar3D, but I see a near doubling of fps in Unigine's Valley Benchmark (Max = 112.8, Avg 59.8) when SLI is enabled. I doubt whether I'll see anything like that but even if it increases the overhead a little, I think I'll be happy.

With Process Explorer running I note Dedicated GPU memory use of around 1.5GB and the GPU Usage is 100%

I see no visual artifacts in any view other than Tower, strangely enough. I often like to control the a/c as if under Radio Control (another hobby of mine), and while the F-22 is whizzing around the sky above me I see elongated triangular vertical white artifacts flashing up from the bottom of the screen. Don't see this in any other view when much more is being drawn on the screen.

Hope all this is helpful. IMHO the 580GTX is still a very capable GPU and, yes, it does 'cut it'. Mine are the mobile variants so yours should perform better :)

The CPU in my M18x is an i7 2960XM and RAM = 4x2 GB DDR3-1600

Regards,

Mike

Edit: as to that message, in the absence of any feedback from LM, I'm assuming it's of little importance right now as everything seems to be there, at least as far as I can tell. I'm trying to forget about it. Let's wait for v2.1 when, hopefully, some progress will have been made to eliminate the need for such cryptic messages.

M31

Post by M31 »

Quote:
Quote from apollo on December 9, 2013, 23:05

the error message "Could not write value Complete to key" level may be misleading, it will come up if your graphics hardware does not fully support DirectX feature level 11. some graphics cards support DirectX 11 only partially, but it has to be 100% feature level 11 in hardware to work with P3Dv2. software emulation of DirectX 11 as implemented on some older cards or as found in many laptops won't cut it.

Its nothing to do with that my friend. I was one of the many customers who had this problem, my card is a GTX 780 3GB (all of my homebuilt desktop PC is modern high end parts) and after getting this error on my initial install went so far as to reformat the whole PC with my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, fresh up to date chipset drivers, latest firmware for my SSD's, installed every last applicable Win 7 update as well as latest hardware drivers, made sure Direct X was up to date, rebooted the PC a couple of times each time checking to see if there were any last Windows updates and yes with UAC turned off and did not install P3DV2 in default program files (before anyone suggests that again) tried installing my p3D V2 Academic only to see the exact same error message again, during this time I was posting on here and seeing many others with the same problem, one guy who has never been back suggested intercepting Direct X in the install or something? as that worked for him ... I've been a system builder for 20 years and never heard of that, but the only answer to this problem from LM is for us to try it and they asked the guy to explain what he meant ... and he's not been back ... it really does seem that LM have regarded this issue as resolved because of that ... please tell me I'm wrong LM, or at least please acknowledge this error and let us know if hitting the ignore button is perfectly acceptable without issue.

Other guys had a couple of workarounds that worked for them but not for others, its unacceptable that LM should think this "Intercept Direct X during install" vagueness is a universal answer to this problem IMHO.

My own particular workaround is different again for this problem that seems to have no "rhyme or reason" to it and that was to try my friends copy of Windows 7 64 Ultimate (mine was windows 7 64 Home Premium) and with the exact same format and update procedure as I described before ... lo and behold my Prepar3D V2 Academic installed without errors this time ... Go figure? ... in no way am I suggesting this is an official fix as I know of guys installing fine to win 7 64 Home Premium and Windows 8 ... my guess is for many who did get lucky with a solid install might very well find that if they had to format and re-install again for some reason might very well find they have the same problem too!

Also I've noted there have been quite a few guys with this error who clicked ignore at the end and are content with that, I certainly was not ... if someone from LM can say its OK to click ignore and there definitely wont be any impact on the simulation or further add-ons, fair enough, but it looks like they are not looking into this or at least are not saying if they are or not ... its not good being kept in the dark.

Very frustrating and I had to go buy a Windows 7 Ultimate license to get thing working for my workaround :) Oh well, with 16GB of ram already and Win7 HP 64 not being able to handle any more ... I'm good to go with Win 7 64 Ultimate should I need to go to 16GB + in the near future ... unlikely I know.

Apart from that I do like what I see so far now that I eventually managed a good install, but it needs a lot of work yet and I hope LM can get most if not all the major bugs fixed in the coming months and updates ... and yes I'm very pleased to see there will be updates but I think we need a bit more support just now too.

EDIT: and yep, was running as Administrator each time.