5.2 perfect, 5.3 long pausing and stuttering is unflyable

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
JorgenSA

Re: 5.2 perfect, 5.3 long pausing and stuttering is unflyable

Post by JorgenSA »

Good suggestion, but I do have an issue with this:

"xxxleave whatever your p3d defaults to"

Instead, my (opinionated) suggestion would be to calculate the value to be used using this calculator:

https://www.gfsg.co.uk/affinitymask.asp ... m=utilties

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
saxdreamer787

Post by saxdreamer787 »

saxdreamer787 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:07 pm
Myself and half a three other users have been able to prevent the freezing this afternoon on two online test flights by using the new scheduler settings below

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=xxxleave whatever your p3d defaults to
P3DCoreAffinityMask=xxxleave whatever your p3d defaults to
MainThreadScheduler=1
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=3

Let me know if you can still replicate the freezing with the above scheduler settings.

I suspect the new (default) scheduler masks in v5.3 are causing the P3D.exe to freeze on many systems including my own.
This seems to have worked for me, been up for about an hour now, with now major degradation to frame rates, thanks Bozo92!!!
Update, one day later after this initial post... The above fix only extended the normal functionality of P3Dv5.3, it did not completely fix the issue. I was able to fly for several hours instead of 20 minutes, but the issue still resurfaced after about 2 hours roughly. My frame rates dropped and fluctuated between 6-11fps.

My guess is that the permanent solution is specific settings to my system involving the items listed above. I'm not savvy enough to know what the "RenderThreadScheduler" parameter does, but evidently those settings speak to the core of the issue, pun not intended. Ultimately, at the end of the day, Lockheed Martin needs to come up with a fix.

I use this sim for study level practice for my own 421 and also for the 787/777 (airline guy), which is rather good for real world pilots.

MSFS2020 is aesthetically pleasing, but doesn't have the substance that I need. X-Plane is great, but they don't have a 421 or study level widebody jets. Some I'm really committed to P3D for now.
Intel Eight Core I-9 9900KF Processor overclocked to 4.9GHz
Intel I Z2390 Chipset Motherboard
32GB DDR-4 3600MHz Ram
2TB SSD HD @ 1800MB/s
Nvidia RTX 6000 24 GB GDDR6
700 -Watt Power Supply
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Saxdreamer787, allow me a quote:

"My guess is that the permanent solution is specific settings to my system involving the items listed above."

Exactly why I posted the AffinityMask calculator.

Prepar3d.cfg as it comes "out of the box" is very much a one-size-fits-all, that is why I often post links to a couple of advanced configurations, to assist people in tailoring prepar3d.cfg to their particular system configurations, and thereby help them optimize performance.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
saxdreamer787

Post by saxdreamer787 »

No problems now!!!...

or at least so far. For me, a fresh reinstall was out of the question since I had so many customizations and add-ons to version 5.2. I thought about all of the emails to tech support, all of the heartache of getting the electrons to play well together, all of my RealSim Gear, GTN750/GNS530/GNS430, all of my custom ini files, yada yada yada, I could go on for days about this, like so many of you. Oh yeah, and my PMDG and Quality Wings heavy metal that I use for practice for my real job, 787 Captain.

Well, I said, in my dad's tone, God rest his soul, "fah-gid-ah-bout-it" and do a clean delete and reinstall. Before that though, I did backup everything, all Program Folder files, all Documents files as well and anything else that I could think of. People in this forum have been very kind with offering tweaks for certain planes which involve .ini file work, didn't want to loose that stuff.

For me, the reinstall as recommended by LM worked. I'm now at 50 frames on average with technically 7 monitors if you count my RealSim gear stuff, my touchscreen monitor, and three big Samsung TV's. It's all cooking with grease so far. No studders at all. I was going down to 6fps at some points in my flight. I will let you know if anything changes, but so far so good. I still have to install some more components, such as PilotEdge, and the software for my Bravo Throttle, but I don't think those will cause any issues, again I will advise if it does.

I recommend giving it a try, just delete everything and do a fresh install of 5.3 as recommended. I know that some have tried that with no success, but it's worked for me. I'm on vacation, so I had time to spend on setting everything back up again. The time I spent troubleshooting and searching forums was way more than the time it took to get everything back up and running again with a fresh clean install.

Hope this helps someone.

Happy 4th of July to you guys!

Cheers,
Sal
32GB DDR-4 3600MHz Ram
2TB SSD HD @ 1800MB/s
700 -Watt Power Supply
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good show, Sal, and happy 4th to you too!

Jorgen

saxdreamer787

Post by saxdreamer787 »

Thank you Jorgen!
32GB DDR-4 3600MHz Ram
2TB SSD HD @ 1800MB/s
700 -Watt Power Supply
simman

Post by simman »

I am having a very similar issue but in VR with constant stutters in 5.3HF2. Whenever I move my head there seems to be an update lag, and that is happening in each lens, so it is not resulting from a lens sync issue. I uninstall P3D (deleted all files) then reinstalled again. On the very first flight after a full clean install (no addons and default settings) everything is fine but once I turn on Anti Aliasing (2x-8x MSAA or SSAA) the problem start happening in VR, and if I set AA back to 'none' the problem goes away.

Interestingly, when I switch from the P3D to any other running application the stutter goes away in VR! Once I give the focus back to P3D the stutter is back again.

Also, this is not a disc issue in my case, the main disc containing P3D and OS is a 1TB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe and is running fine. And I left my Affinity Mask to whatever P3D defaulted it after the install.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
spec: Intel i8086K OC 5.1GHz, RTX 3090Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM | P3D v5.3 HF2 | VR only: PIMAX 5K+ | Win 10 Pro
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

How is it without VR?

Jorgen

simman

Post by simman »

Just fine, no issues or whatsoever. My problem is only in VR!

Thanks for the quick response Jorgen :)
spec: Intel i8086K OC 5.1GHz, RTX 3090Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM | P3D v5.3 HF2 | VR only: PIMAX 5K+ | Win 10 Pro
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

So here we need someone who knows VR to step in. Unfortunately that's not me...

Jorgen

simman

Post by simman »

Thanks anyway Jorgen. It could be related to the latest NVidia driver or not. However, my NVidia Control Panel settings have not changed and most are global w/ the power management set to Performance as usual.

The stuttering is unflyable, it is almost impossible to reach switches in the cockpit with the mouse pointer going in and out of focus. Also, I noticed overlays are flickering as well in VR, and only when P3D is running, so there is definitely P3D related somehow.
Blaster254

Post by Blaster254 »

Erm So have been reading through this thread. Over a year of reporting the freezes and stutters. It’s now nearly a year since the last post. So rather than starting a new thread, what was the cause? Has it been resolved by LM?

It’s doing my head in. I’ve done a fresh install everything. Whats been done about it?
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

Blaster254 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:06 am Erm So have been reading through this thread. Over a year of reporting the freezes and stutters. It’s now nearly a year since the last post. So rather than starting a new thread, what was the cause? Has it been resolved by LM?

It’s doing my head in. I’ve done a fresh install everything. Whats been done about it?
Post your hardware specs, whether you have Hyperthreading enabled and the Job Scheduler section of your Prepar3D.cfg.

I have an i7-8086K running at 4.9Ghz, 1080Ti running in 4K and 30fps solid at 95% of airports.

The sim is fine. It’s probably your hardware or settings.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke