OOM this is new!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
sanh1977

Post by sanh1977 »

Very nice and understandable for the layman/dumb ole farm boys. Thanks Doc!
sanh1977

Post by sanh1977 »

Update: I will do some more testing. I suspect it might be ftx global in 2.1. Seen other people reporting same issue and ftx global seems to be the common factor.
johnan

Post by johnan »

Just wondering, do OOMs occur if we fly default aircraft over default scenery ie no add ons at all?

Or do OOMs occur only when people have FTX Global installed? It seems to be a common link but may of course just be coincidence. I certainly never had any sign of an OOM in v2 and I did not have any Orbx stuff installed.
johnan

Post by johnan »

Sorry Sanh, looks like our posts crossed but we are thinking along the same lines!
stefbuik

Post by stefbuik »

I gaven't experienced an OOM yet.

I use FTX global, but only the Base-version. No vector. I also ónly use small GA planes. I very much doubt it's FTX. At least Base is no more than a texture replacer. Vector, however. I dunno. About to buy it, and do some testing.
cyborgen

Post by cyborgen »

I reduced my textures to 1024 from 4096 and it extended my flight time a bit.. Sat at the airport after a flight and eventually ran out of memory (got the pop up window) after 15 minutes.

This is obviously a memory leak (VAS) introduced by version 2.1. Never experienced an OOM under 2.0 and was running fine with maximum texture size too. Testing for memory leaks is time consuming and pressure to release a patch will produce this kind of situation.
Saul

Post by Saul »

Quote:
Quote from sanh1977 on February 15, 2014, 08:39

Installed the patch. OOM after about 5 mins on flight out of heathrow. Using ftx global, ut2 and ezdok camera.

UT2 is unlicensed for P3D. Little wonder people install these unlicensed addons are experiencing problems.

http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/foru ... d-prepar3d

I'm using FTX Global, Vector and Pilots Ultimate mesh a few GA Aircraft also installed. Not had any OOM's and I use P3D for hours every day

Regards,

Saul.

cyborgen

Post by cyborgen »

Source might be REX then....or AXE which could no longer be compatible with P3Dv2.1 ?
Captainslarty

Post by Captainslarty »

Quote:
Quote from PinoyAir on February 15, 2014, 09:59

Quote:
Quote from sanh1977 on February 15, 2014, 08:39

Installed the patch. OOM after about 5 mins on flight out of heathrow. Using ftx global, ut2 and ezdok camera.

UT2 is unlicensed for P3D. Little wonder people install these unlicensed addons are experiencing problems.

http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/foru ... d-prepar3d

I'm using FTX Global, Vector and Pilots Ultimate mesh a few GA Aircraft also installed. Not had any OOM's and I use P3D for hours every day

Regards,

Saul.

Define 'licensed' in this context oh wise one :?

Obviously the master compatibility list will show such matters too ???

Can you also point all users at the list of your imaginary 'licensed' add ons ...... you know, the ones that WILL work and are somehow fully tested and approved ????.

DOH !!
Saul

Post by Saul »

Quote:
Quote from Captainslarty on February 15, 2014, 10:33

Define 'licensed' in this context oh wise one :?

Obviously the master compatibility list will show such matters too ???

Can you also point all users at the list of your imaginary 'licensed' add ons ...... you know, the ones that WILL work and are somehow fully tested and approved ????.

DOH !!

It is every users responsibility to make sure the addons they installed into P3D are licensed for P3D this is written for every user in the EULA

Ignoring these documents and doing as you please breaks both your EULA with the developers of the addons and LM's EULA.

If you click on the link I provided from Flight1's forum showing exactly their position on UT2 for P3D case closed!

Its not my position on what people do that right belongs only to Flight1. I'm simply advising people to keep them on the safe side of the EULA

Perhaps you should write to flight 1 telling them what you think of it.

There is nothing imaginary about licensing and LM take it very seriously! Just as Flight1 do ;)

Regards,

Saul.

sanh1977

Post by sanh1977 »

OK, first of all. I had no idea UT2 is not licensed for P3D. Usually I don't read small print or research EULA terms on forums when installing add-ons (my mistake). Now we cleared that up, can we move back to the OOM.

Some more findings. I disabled UT2 and Ezdok (meaning the only add-on running is FTX Global) and I still get the OOM. If I fly one of the small default planes my memory usage is low, around 1.8GB and it starts to climb up to around 2.5GB. I reckon it would take some time (if it ever will) to get to 3.2GB and trigger an OOM. I flew the default Constellation and memory is around 2.2GB (same as my third party aircraft) and it rises to 3.2GB and triggers the OOM.

MY conclusions:

I think people who are not seeing OOM are flying smaller aircraft.

I think people seeing OOM are flying some of the bigger aircraft or third party bigger aircraft.

A test to prove it (or not):

1. Go to Heathrow (EGLL) and take off in the default Constellation and fly straight ahead, around 2000ft-3000ft for around 10-20 minutes and you will see OOM. It appears (to me anyway) that if you do not stay in the same area and keep moving in one direction, the autogen loaded ahead of you increases the memory consumed and it never goes back down or remains constant. It just keeps going up slowly until you hit the OOM. This could be a FTX Global issue but on other posts/forums people are reporting the same issue with default scenery so I suspect it is not.

Again, just to reiterate, I am flying with pretty much default settings (half way sliders) and no tweaks have been applied. I used exactly the same setup/add-ons on 2.0 and never had a OOM there and some of my flights were 6 or 7 hours long.
gabrielgiacomino

Post by gabrielgiacomino »

Now my question is : OOM its a big problem for a majority of us. what P3D team think about this and they will be a patch or a tweak or something that we can fix that problem. its not normal u get to the 4gb fast like that!
torkermax

Post by torkermax »

Quote:
Quote from cyborgen on February 15, 2014, 10:07

Source might be REX then....or AXE which could no longer be compatible with P3Dv2.1 ?

I believe I can varify the AXE has a memory leak with V2 eating up VAS ata sitting position.. So, how many other addon aircraft may be displaying the same symptom. Its very easy to test.
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Agreed and I confirm 3,200,000k is the limit as monitored using task manager.

EGLL to London City is all it takes in any plane to get the OOM with graphic setting at the mid range P3D default using ORBX England/Vector/Global.

You can "just make it" if you put Autogen Vegetation down to sparse.

Not good really and is the major issue with P3D
Saul

Post by Saul »

You may have a valid point there. I fly only small to medium Aircraft.

I have a GTX690 2GB card on the system I used mainly and its using 1.739GB of memory

If I was using larger more complexed aircraft or addon airports or increased my graphics options then I know too would be experiencing OOM's

Keeping in mind its not only VAS you need to watch with P3Dv2 but also your GPU Memory usage.

Regards,

Saul.