Prepa3dv6 color very strong

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
ldallara

Prepa3dv6 color very strong

Post by ldallara »

Hi, I tried to install Prepar3dv6 in my configuration where I have a 3080i Nvidia with 3 projectors and the colors are very strong it seems almost in black and white, I tried to change the internal parameters of prepar3dv6 but it changes little. Same computer with prepar3d V4 or V5 perfect colors without touching any configuration
bullfox

Re: Prepa3dv6 color very strong

Post by bullfox »

It took me a while to get the lighting in P3D6 working the way I want it so that to my mind it looks realistic. I have it looking pretty good up to about 20 to 25 thousand feet. above that range it starts I think to look too blue but not as much as it did at first. My monitor has a blue light filter which I use and I also slightly reduced the blue in the R,G,B settings.

But the key to getting it to look good is in the tone mapping. It takes some experimentation and I suspect every set up is a little different. The live graphics tool allows you to change the brightness level and saturation level and see the results in real time. Try that and see if it helps.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

bullfox wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 pm It took me a while to get the lighting in P3D6 working the way I want it so that to my mind it looks realistic. I have it looking pretty good up to about 20 to 25 thousand feet. above that range it starts I think to look too blue but not as much as it did at first. My monitor has a blue light filter which I use and I also slightly reduced the blue in the R,G,B settings.

But the key to getting it to look good is in the tone mapping. It takes some experimentation and I suspect every set up is a little different. The live graphics tool allows you to change the brightness level and saturation level and see the results in real time. Try that and see if it helps.
Bullfox, Can you share your tone mapping settings? I've not been able to get anything that works over a large timeframe. I.E. I can get the start of dusk to look fine but once it gets to the end of dusk it's horrible. So I gave up on using those settings.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi
I agree with you. The end of DUSK is horrible because P3D v6 consider it is DAY without sun. So all is black.
But when the NIGHT comes the emissive textures are activated and all appears correctly.
NIGHT is better than the end of DUSK.
We have reported that but it seems that LM has no solution at this time for improve that.
Regards
Michel
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

These images are from a flight from Denver to Kansas City on May 6th at about 10:00 am. This shows the live graphics settings I am using. Keep in mind there are three sets of settings. Thee are settings native to your monitor, settings native to your video card, and settings native to P3D6. There is no post processing in any of these images other than some cropping to enlarge the settings and make them more readable.

Here we are climbing out of Denver. this shows the problem with some add on airports where they may be brighter that the rest of the scenery. This version of Denver is by Flightbeam.

This is at 26,000 feet. To my mind, looks about right.

At 31,000 feet. I included it because I think it looks really good. But you can see more blueness in the scenery.

And here we are at Kansas City showing the Tone Mapping settings I used on this flight. Please note that I usually change the setting a bit on every flight but this as what I generally use. This shot is with Rex Sky Force clouds. The other shots are with Active Sky for P3D6. With Active Sky its difficult to get the clouds bright enough with out getting the scenery too bright. Even so, I think Active Sky is a better choice. The Kansas City scenery is by Tropicalsim. Its from 2018 for P3D4, but looks and works great in P3D6.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
ldallara

Post by ldallara »

Thanks for the reply, how to open the live graphic setting?
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

Here's how I do it, which I guess is the same for everybody. You have to be in windowed mode on the screen. I press alt and enter to get there. Once in windowed mode at the top of the screen click on options then go down and click on live graphics settings. From there you should be able to reach the settings windows as in my screen shots. You will have to do a lot of experimenting to get the look you want. Its been 40 years since I have flown in a real airplane. I went on YouTube and looked for flying videos, of which there are a lot, to help me remember what the view out of a real airplane looked like, and then I tried to copy that look with my settings. I hope that helps.
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi bullfox
Thank you very much.
Now it is better by DUSK and DOWN.
When we install Prepar3D, the default setting is not optimum.
Regards
Michel
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

I have looked at a lot of screenshots and videos of MSFS, and to me they look great, but are not particularly realistic looking. Since the look can be manipulated, a lot of the unrealism is probably what simmers prefer. With P3D6 I can get it to look like what I think is more realistic. That's one of the reasons I like P3d6. Having said that, you have ot realize that the look can very a lot due to weather conditions. Still and all, its difficult to tone down the excessive blueness at altitude.