High CPU load and temperature with 5.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
RAMMSTEIN

Re: High CPU load and temperature with 5.4

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

Hi,

Me again.
My problem is solved.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6367 ... nt=4999356

After I adjusted AffinityMask, P3D V5.4 runs perfectly again
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hi RAMMSTEIN ,

So far no other pilots reporting the problem you posted.

I never change the JobScheduler/affinity mask and have no problems with high CPU temps or poor P3D performance.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

A quote: "I never change the JobScheduler/affinity mask".

Well, others do and have no problems either.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Well, others do and have no problems either."
Who are they in this forum?

Well, I was just reporting about my setup as I had not previously mentioned it.
My CPU (I9 9900k) temps are 47 to 52 in all phases of flight with Add-ons running (default affinity mask).

So far no other pilots reporting they have the same problem as reported in this topic.

Also, I had previously asked the OP:
Have you tested a short flight with the default jet at the default airport without AI traffic or any other Add-on running?
Note: that would be with the default affinity mask.

No reply in this forum/topic yet.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

"Others" are those who follow advice and visit the Advanced configuration page.

If you like, I shall happily supply a link to that page, plus a link to the AffinityMask calculator.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

""Others" are those who follow advice and visit the Advanced configuration page."
Who are they? The Others?
Who gave the advice to Others to follow?
No mention of it previously in this topic.

So far no other pilots reporting they have the same problem as reported in this topic.
Best Regards,
RAMMSTEIN

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

Martyson wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:08 pm "Well, others do and have no problems either."

My CPU (I9 9900k) temps are 47 to 52 in all phases of flight with Add-ons running (default affinity mask).

Have you tested a short flight with the default jet at the default airport without AI traffic or any other Add-on running?

I already answered in Avsim forum, which I also have with default scenery and default plane. I don't want to be angry, but your post didn't solve the problem for me. Although I answered the question with standard scenery, you kept asking about this point. And I have a feeling you don't like changing the AffinityMask at all.. because you keep writing to me, I'm the only user.. but yes, it helped me and the problem is fixed I have been using p3d for almost 3 years and have never had to deal with changing anything in AffinityMask Then I'm the first and only user who had to manually change his CPU load problems under V5.4. and now p3d is running :)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

RAMMSTEIN wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:27 pm
Martyson wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:08 pm "Well, others do and have no problems either."

I already answered in Avsim forum, which I also have with default scenery and default plane. I don't want to be angry, but your post didn't solve the problem for me. Although I answered the question with standard scenery, you kept asking about this point. And I have a feeling you don't like changing the AffinityMask at all.. because you keep writing to me, I'm the only user.. but yes, it helped me and the problem is fixed I have been using p3d for almost 3 years and have never had to deal with changing anything in AffinityMask Then I'm the first and only user who had to manually change his CPU load problems under V5.4. and now p3d is running :)
I asked :
Note: Without AI traffic or any other Add-on running.
Note: I only asked you this question one time previously in this forum topic.

But no answer was posted in this P3D forum topic.

Maybe you could post your default affinity mask and your new affinity mask in this forum so the LM Staff can have a look at them.

Possibly the P3D default affinity mask is incorrect and LM needs to know about it and correct it?

Note:
This topic was started on 23 July (20 days ago) and so far no other pilots responding with the same problem here.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Here's the link to P3D Advanced configuration:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ation.html

Plus the link to the P3D v. 5.3+ AffinityMask calculator:

http://izn-flightsim.s3-website-us-east ... inity.html

Jorgen

RAMMSTEIN

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

As I wrote before, I replied to Avsim Forum.

Since the same profile photo was shown in both forums, I assumed that it was the same person from this forum.

Since my post was more active in Avsim Forum, I continued in Avsim Forum.

Here is my AffinityMask setting for AMD 5800x3D:

[job scheduler]
AffinityMask=65493
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65493
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

I wouldn't say, as you do, that LM got it wrong, and I don't want to say it myself.

I've been using P3D for almost 3 years and have never had to adjust anything in AffinityMask.

In any case, things are going much better with the new AffinityMask.

In the air I have an average of about 70 to 74 degrees.

And I never have 100% utilization and the whole PC is smooth.

Before that I have temp peaks of up to 90 degrees.

Average temp while flying was about 85 degrees.

I can't say exactly if my CPU was misdetected by AffinityMask, but with the default settings P3D was useless.

I'm very happy about the tip in Avsim forum
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

Some background information for V5:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137087
Re: v5 Affinity Mask changed behavior?

by Beau Hollis » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 am
To get an accurate test, you should be flying fast or slewing. The primary core is always working, as are two additional cores set aside for per-frame rendering related work. The rest of the cores are used for jobs like loading terrain, autogen, creating batches, etc. On higher setting, you'll see all your cores working hard whenever terrain is being paged in.
Also an interesting discussion on http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143881
not to forget Rob Ainscough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5wTkct68c

It may give you a picture what happens with your many-core processor while running P3D
and why setting the affinity mask can solve problems
and why limiting the number of cores P3D uses leads to a more smooth behaviour.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

It's depending on your affinity mask settings, how extreme your cpu is used. It you use it too much, you get easily temps of 100 Deg C in a i13900K. So lowering the settings to a more reluctant use of the cpu is decreasing the temps.

On Avsim they have a thread on that:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6367 ... ps/page/4/

The first example from SteveW led to overheating my cpu.

Using the next one is fine for me.
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

Hi Blaunarwal,

From your experience, what mask settings would you recommend using an i9-1300K with Prepar3d Version 6.
The settings installed out of the box with P3d V6 seem OK, but a bit warm. Core 7 seems to be doing all of the work now.
Any suggestions?

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

Hi Aussi

I have only v5.4 and on my i13900K I use the following settings with Hyperthreading on

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=268435413
P3DCoreAffinityMask=268435413
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

These are the second settings SteveW showed on page 4, where he started with configs for the i13900 cpu.

This setting is at around 70° C for the CPU and cooling is not loud. I use a special software to control the coolers called FanControl available here: https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

I don't know how v6 is programmed to use cpu/gpu compared to v5.4. There was a difference from 4.5 to 5 before.

Regards

Dan
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Please ensure you dont use the default affinity mask settings that ship with P3D. This still places the initial loader on core 0 where Windows sits.
Make sure that Core 0 is NOT being used by P3D and WIndows has free reign over that core. You only need to set P3D to 3 threads/cores and the rest will be used by other addons. Do it evenly with this website, its way better than the usual one that has been circulating for years and doesnt let you decide yourself which job can set to which core. If you hyperthread your CPU, only assign to physical cores and not virtual ones. I recommend hyperthreading as its using the full potential of your CPU rather than just 50% of it.
http://izn-flightsim.s3-website-us-east ... inity.html
This link plus loads of other helps, tricks and tips, can be found in my discord.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64G DDR4 Core Speed 3200Ghz
OS: Windows 10 (tweaked/modded for Flight Sim Performance)