Improved installer

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
agfreeman

Improved installer

Post by agfreeman »

Can I request an improved installer? I find installing quite a painful, laborius process, particularly when CAB files are allegedly corrupt.

I'd also like to see an improvement with file management. There is a lot of unncessary duplication of files, eg:

Download as a zip
Unzip the files (another copy)
Run the installer> files get copied to C:\ProgramData\Package Cache (another copy)
Files then get copied to, likely, another drive during actual install. (yet another copy...).

Many copies of the same file, with lots of possibilities of corruption, lots of HD space being chewed up. Particularly on the C: drive where the actual install might not be.

What I'd like to see is a download manager/ installer, something similar to how Orbx works, where it downloads the files and verifies them as it goes. Checking the hash of the CABS is a long tedious job.

Another reason for a manager: there is nothing more annoying than the P3D installer copying all the files over, getting to the last one, deciding it doesn't like it, and then deleting ALL the files from C:\ProgramData\Package Cache so you have to start again from scratch.

Cheers

Andy
perficad

Re: Improved installer

Post by perficad »

The main laborious part for me, was the fact that in 0.30 the entire application had to be reinstalled. This required freeing up over 120gb of hard drive space so it could download the files, install them, and then delete the old ones.