P3D V6 NO CONNECTION TO DIRECTX 12

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
kumpel

P3D V6 NO CONNECTION TO DIRECTX 12

Post by kumpel »

Hello,

I have recently purchased and installed P3D V6 (having owned all previous versions of P3D, still happy running V4 and V5).

Clean install, no add-ons or any mods, on the latest Win 10 22H2 and NVIDIA driver 536.40 for GTX 1070.

My first problem was the menu bar not showing, fixed as per the post NO MENU BAR AFTER INSTALLING V6.

My second problem is with DirectX 12 (graphics card supports levels 12_1,12_0) that does not appear to work.
All objects are dull mat, chrome parts are black/dark blue, no reflections.

My PC specs are :
Windows 10 (19045.3155 build)
Intel i5-6600K @3.00GHz
24 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB with the latest driver 31.0.15.3640
ASUS PB278

I have checked the system and drivers as suggested in P3D instructions and other posts here.
P3D V6 has actually been installed twice from scratch, MD5 of installation files checked as well.

I am lost for ideas where to look for a solution. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers
Kumpel
agfreeman

Re: P3D V6 NO CONNECTION TO DIRECTX 12

Post by agfreeman »

Which fix did you apply to sort the menu bar? I made a post last night detailing what resolved a lot of my issues, after trying the html one.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6d1347a24c

It might be worth cleaning your shader cache too, depending on which fix you applied, particularly if it was mine.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=138321

Just to confirm, the driver you have for your card is 536.40 ? (presuming a typo?)
kumpel

Post by kumpel »

I used your fix, it was enough to change the scheduler priorities.
Very helpful, thank you.

Clearing shaders had no effect, still basic rendering only, nothing close to PBR.

The latest driver available 536.40. I tried both versions - game ready and studio.
Although I had originally installed 536.23, and in one instance, one plane appeared properly rendered, but I could not repeat that.
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

Just to confirm, when you copied the job scheduler settings, it was from your own v5 config file?

The only other thing I would try at this point is a clean graphics driver install.

So use DDU and NVcleanstall and install the graphics driver only, none of the other bloat ware.

And once that is complete, delete the shaders again.

I noticed that you have the latest win 10. Are there any other updates available under Windows update?
kumpel

Post by kumpel »

Yes, I copied the job scheduler settings from my own v5 config file.
In the end, I decided to change to HTM5UI, restoring the default V6 scheduler settings. Menus work fine.
Perhaps there is a reason why the new scheduler settings are different than the V5.

I followed the suggested process in relation to the NVIDIA driver to the dot, regrettably no joy, the rendering problem remains.
Assuming that V6 is an improvement on V5, something must have changed and, perhaps, only developers might be able to tell us what that is.

I am grateful for your effort of guiding me through the issues.
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

No problem, there are a few bugs so this could be one of them, hopefully it will get resolved.

The final suggestion I have is rename the cfg file and let P3D create it again, and try with default settings. If that doesn't work you can delete the new one and go back to your old one.

The Job Scheduler settings made a major change for me and got rid of a whole host of stutters, but it might not be for everyone unfortunately. What works for one might not work for another.

There is a post here, quite lengthy, for an earlier version. Their solution was a full reinstall which I know you've done, but there might be some other pointers worth looking at.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&start=15

Just out of curiosity, what aircraft does it happen on?
kumpel

Post by kumpel »

It happens on all aircraft. One can see the problem right at the start in the aircraft preview window.