Default Navdata database update

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
KelvinNZ

Post by KelvinNZ »

Hi John,

Any chance of an update for Navdata databases and magnetic variation database for Prepar3d as FSX is OLD. This would be such a huge thing to have at least a 2011 database with the latest navaids, vfr waypoints, airport data etc....

Thanks again
Flightsimtech

Post by Flightsimtech »

Hello together,

as e new forum member I´d like first to write into this topic and bring it up again.

The database is still outdated and we would highly appriciate an Update og the default database.

I think it make no sense to install highly detailed aircraft with newest AIRAC and fying with an old database and aren´t be able to tune the right (actual) frequencies.?

Would be nice to hear a statemant or maybe a solution for that issue.
Ebertr

Post by Ebertr »

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

The chief problem isn't so much the navaids, but also that every airport that has had changes would also need to be corrected up match the new navdata. Because of the way this data is scattered around in literally thousands of files, it would be a massive and ultimately futile exercise, since it would be obsolete long before the task was completed!
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
3_stars

Post by 3_stars »

+1

I also think that an update is necessary and would also be most appreciated!

Quote:
Quote from N4GIX on January 24, 2013, 16:04

The chief problem isn't so much the navaids, but also that every airport that has had changes would also need to be corrected up match the new navdata. Because of the way this data is scattered around in literally thousands of files, it would be a massive and ultimately futile exercise, since it would be obsolete long before the task was completed!

Hello N4GIX!

Indeed and sure it will be a lot of work – i totally agree.

On the other hand though:

The more time that goes by the more severe and noticeable these inaccuracies will become while flying within P3D and while using current charts!

Even by now it already happens quite often that a plane comes down way off a runway’s centre line although on a CATIII Autoland and although all is set up correctly in the sim - And it will certainly get worse in the future!

Adequate training of various procedures will then for sure be a very “interesting” undertaking, but not representing and simulating “Real World Procedures” in a very plausible, convincing or accurate way.

Therefore I also think that some kind of “update” for this issue is needed and even essential for a complex simulation of the kind such as P3D is.

And sure: It does not need to be done all "at once", but there must be some kind of solution for it.

At least i hope so! ;)
gandy

Post by gandy »

I believe P3D does use an updated navi database ( called p3dgps ) but its up to the addon developers to make use of it, the old database is still there to provide backwards compatibility.
N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

The disconnect is caused by the nav database not matching up with the airport scenery. You can update the nav database until the moon turns blue, but it will NEVER match up with the airport scenery without a lot of work.

This is the point that keeps getting missed in all of these discussions: both the nav database and the airport scenery(the "visual elements") must be updated at the same time, otherwise the exercise is pointless.

What possible good is that nifty new approach to Rwy24C to K*** if the airport hasn't been updated to ADD Rwy24C to the scenery? :o
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Gandy, where is that p3dgps file?? the one in gauges is just gps gauge stuff...

also as n4gix say, the developer of the scenery would need to move the RW to the new updated location and match the frequencies and updated info, this would mean RW's not fitting within the rest of the scenery, running into buildings...etc...caos!!

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
3_stars

Post by 3_stars »

Quote:
Quote from N4GIX on January 25, 2013, 15:02

The disconnect is caused by the nav database not matching up with the airport scenery. You can update the nav database until the moon turns blue, but it will NEVER match up with the airport scenery without a lot of work.

This is the point that keeps getting missed in all of these discussions: both the nav database and the airport scenery(the "visual elements") must be updated at the same time, otherwise the exercise is pointless.

What possible good is that nifty new approach to Rwy24C to K*** if the airport hasn't been updated to ADD Rwy24C to the scenery? :o

Hello N4GIX and Aeronauta!

I am aware of that.

I was just mentioning this point here, because this is where it becomes quite noticable while flying within the sim.

I also do neither expect the NAV data nor the airports to be 100% accurate at all.

And yet some kind of update from time to time would nevertheless truly be great, so that - at least for some time being - the innaccuracies would be minimized a little bit.

Sure: The "aiports" will always remain to be some kind of a troublesome issue - but maybe the "default" airports could be updated by LM from time to time too?!

Or:

All NAV data available to be used within and offered for the sim exclusively should better get "synchronized" with P3D rather than the "real world" ...

;)

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

The Universal UNS-1Fw to be featured in the Milviz 737-200 COMBI allows the simpilot to choose between a custom (.mdb) database that is compiled from the stock FSX/Prepar3D facilities data, or any Navigraph database should the simpilot have a subscription.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
3_stars

Post by 3_stars »

Quote:
Quote from N4GIX on January 27, 2013, 12:41

The Universal UNS-1Fw to be featured in the Milviz 737-200 COMBI allows the simpilot to choose between a custom (.mdb) database that is compiled from the stock FSX/Prepar3D facilities data, or any Navigraph database should the simpilot have a subscription.

Thank You very much for the information here!

FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Don't forget, P3D is a "low Cost" SIMULATOR.

(1) Low Cost partly because the Airports and Nav data is NOT updated every month, to keep up with the real world. If it were, someone would have to pay for that to be done, which would probably mean a costly subscription, that only a few would use, which would mean the subscription would be very expensive.

(2) Its a SIMULATOR... so why can't it Simulate the world as it was at some fixed time in the past.

Is that really such a failing, compared with the high cost of keeping it up to date, for what is, and probably always will be, a reasonably small market.

For most training and learning purposes, the learning of procedures is the same, the only difference being a slight difference in that data, that changes over time.

What might be a compromise, would be the availability of Charts, Plates and Airport information, that matched the historic data in the Sim, that could be used with the Sim, rather than the current Chart & Nav data, that may, or may not match the sim.

( I fortunately have a CD of Charts, that were current when FSX nav data was frozen.. so I use that in the Sim, and I use Up-to-date real charts when flying in real world (of course !!). I experience no issues with switching between the two environments, and knowing which is a SIM, and which is real world.)

Unfortunately FS was never designed with (say) regular Monthly updates in mind. To re-design it now to accommodate such updates, would probably be cost prohibitive, as well as the cost of producing and distributing those updates.

This is the REAL WORLD -- You get what you pay for .. ( at least that applies to most people who are not getting free handouts !!)

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

I was lucky that one of my friends gave me an expired Jeppeson CD that matches the 2004 data used in FSX almost 100%...

...unfortunately, it's only for North America, but it's better than not having it at all! LOL! There are of course websites that have "simplates" available for most to the world, but you have to do a diligent Google search to find 'em! ;)
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Ditto .. I have a similar set of CDs. Since I only fly :seriously" in the USA, I am covered.

CAF440

Post by CAF440 »

Quote:
Quote from N4GIX on January 27, 2013, 12:41

Excellent news to this RW Canadian North flier. I'm glad to hear a company/developer giving freedom of choice.