GPU requirements question

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
pluckas

GPU requirements question

Post by pluckas »

I have a GTX 1070 with 8GB memory. Is this considered within the P3D v5 "system requirements" specifications?

The reason I ask is that I've adjusted my settings down to give me somewhere between 50% and 75% GPU usage (as reported in task manager) while flying over reasonably complex default scenery. My CPU is an i7 9700K 3.6GHz. All 8 cores are working hard, a couple more than others.

However, I'm experiencing a lot of CTDs - more than I would expect for a final software release.

I would have thought the 8GB of memory on my GTX 1070 would be sufficient, so I presume the instability is a result of other factors under investigation by LM?

If not, feel free to let me know what I'm missing with respect to my understanding of GPU requirements.

Thanks,

Paul
pluckas

Re: GPU requirements question

Post by pluckas »

Apologies - just a clarification. The "CTDs" are preceded with a GPU error message, hence my question regarding GPU requirements for P3D v5. I should also mention I'm using a 3 monitor setup with my GTX 1070, and the 'crashes' usually show one or more of the three monitors inactive before freezing entirely.

Thanks,

Paul
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Paul,

We are actively working stability issues some users have been encountering and are planning to release a hotfix next week to help address this. Are you seeing crashes more consistently at some locations? Also what are your graphics settings?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
elgreco111

Post by elgreco111 »

Here you see:
https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Maybe a gtx 1080 ti 11 GB can help
Keep flying Robert
My Specs: Win 11 Prof 22H2, I7-12700KF,ASUS ROG STRIX Z690 F Gaming WiFi,MSI Rtx Ventus 4090 24 GB, RAM 32GB G. Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000, 1 TB M.2 Crucial, 1 TB Samsung SSD, 500 MB Samsung SSD, Acer Predator 27''
pluckas

Post by pluckas »

Thanks for your replies,

I've experienced crashes at numerous locations in both Australia and Europe. The vast majority are preceded with a graphics error message and two of my 3 cockpit external view monitors 'blacked out', with options to ignore or cancel (though by that stage the crash is already catastrophic). My graphics settings are 'default' though I've just today dialled down most sliders while viewing GPU usage in task manager. The most recent crash came with an average GPU usage around 65% while changing from a forward to a side view in cockpit view shortly after take-off from LEMD with Aerosoft's LEMD in view at about 3000 ft.

While a GPU upgrade is possible, the specifications clearly suggest 8GB to be okay. Upgrading to 11GB to experience the same crashes would be disappointing.

The sim's stability is particularly 'fragile' compared to my very robust previous v4.4 install. Changing views, while completely benign in v4, seems to be a potential precursor to a crash. In recent tests of v5 I find myself consciously less interactive than I otherwise would be. There are also strange new screen 'flicker' effects. Right clicking on a screen sees the mouse cursor jump to a different monitor (the default forward monitor) and activating and deactivating the ATC window (as with others) produces a noticeable and quick 'flicker' on all monitors (including an external CDU).

The install is on a clean SSD with updated Win 10 and video drivers, and few (if any) certified add-ons. I've de-activated most ORBX LC products as I'm also not convinced of their reliability.

When it works, the experience is considerably smoother with higher frame rates than v4. Quite a significant graphics quality and performance gain actually, balanced (it would seem) by a very fragile session.

It does sound like waiting to see what the hotfix brings is the best solution for now.

Thanks,

Paul