Improved Performance in 4.5, but more freezes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
bhorv67

Improved Performance in 4.5, but more freezes

Post by bhorv67 »

Through v4.4, I've been struggling to get a balance of my settings to get p3d to perform well but look nice. The most frustrating of the issues for me has been stutters, which until 4.5 have been a big problem.
For some reason, since install of 4.5, my framerates have improved, the sim overall has been smoother and looks a lot nicer. I've even been able to bring my settings a bit higher with no negative impact. One really nice improvement has been that stutters have pretty much disappeared. It's such a joy to just fly and not have to constantly tweak to get the stutters to go away.
But....
Now I seem to have a new issue (gotta love the yin/yang)
When I'm on approach, doesn't matter where, but almost always at a third party airport, right around 10000ft, the sim freezes for about 4-5 seconds while it's loading scenery. This will continue to happen during the arrival a few more times. In previous versions, this long of a freeze would cause a CTD, but that's not happening. I'm glad it's not, but what would cause these long pauses in the sim, and what can I do in the settings to help?
I hear an update is pending, which may be dealing with some other performance issues. Any chance that may help this situation?
Win 11 22H2/ Asus TUF Z790 wifi d4/i9 13900k/Corsair H150i Elite LCD/32G GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200/Corsair 1000w psu / EVGA FTW3 RTX3080ti/ASUS VG289Q Display/1T Evo 990 NVMe m.2 (Win)/ 2T 980 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 (p3d 5.3) / Logitech Z5500 /K70 &Glave
keenrw

Re: Improved Performance in 4.5, but more freezes

Post by keenrw »

I have noticed this freeze now with Pilots LEAL about 16 or so miles out on approach to RW10 .. could just be loading the Airport and textures .
maca11

Post by maca11 »

+1
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

+1
I get this too, but with a default airport (LSZH) and about 1000ft

I am on 4.5 but not the hotfix 1 - can anyone tell me if Hotfiz 1 sorted the issue before I do the big move?

Charles
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

To help give a cllue: As mentioned above, LSZH is a default airport and the only non-default item I have in this region is ORBX Global Europe (ie FTX Base, LC Europe and Europe Vector), I have no Orbx regions in this area

Charles
mbujor61@gmail.com

Post by mbujor61@gmail.com »

+1 Same thing here. Has anyone provided any suggestions, yet?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

mbujor61@gmail.com wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 am +1 Same thing here. Has anyone provided any suggestions, yet?
Which P3D version are you using?
Which aircraft / default airport / approach are you testing?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

I notice the same between 4.4 and 4.5, especially with uk2000 airports
I also get more long pauses, after much fiddling I cant get rid of these
I have noticed 4.5 seems to load more vector data so I shifted my top terrain detail slider to the middle, has helped a bit
Many people on fslabs forum also seeing the same

Does anyone from LM have suggestions that may get rid of these long pauses (5-4 sec), especially on approach to airports. I have asked Gary over at UK2000 a few times and his view is it's a scenery lib indexing problem with the sim, that was 2 years ago.

My entire system runs on a nvme drive so I dont have an IO issue.
T REX2018

Post by T REX2018 »

+1

Never had pauses for what I assume is scenery loading before 4.5. Overall, much smoother even when frame rate drops but pausing for loading and the black buildings at a distance thing now,
aua668

Post by aua668 »

Hi,

Same here with the latest 4.5. I have perfect and fluid simulation all the time. Even on the add-on airports. But as soon, as I am approaching an airport with a lot of scenery elements, the sim freezes for about 5-10 seconds to load the scenery. Then simulation continues as normal.

This loading freezes have been visible also in earlier versions for me. It ruins the otherwise perfect immersion a little bit. If this loading could be done in background in lower priority, this would be a great improvement.

Rgds
Reinhard
connormcc15

Post by connormcc15 »

Hi aua668

I have the same issue as you p3dv4.5 is smooth throughout the flight but as soon as im on approach to an airport or near an airport scenery my p3d freezes for 5 seconds if not more it's very strange and i don't know why it is doing this.

Connor
I am inquiring about p3d I have the academic license.I am having some issues when running the p3d.exe.When I run the p3d.exe I get an error saying

Couldn’t Load Language Resource DLL
Error File:
Error Code:0x7E (126)
Program is aborting!
FredK

Post by FredK »

I am seeing the same thing regarding pauses due to scenery loading delays.

See my posting on "P3Dv4.5 and CPU Core Performance Observations"....related issue?
connormcc15

Post by connormcc15 »

Hi FredK

No I haven't seen your post on P3Dv4.5 and CPU Core Performance Observations. Do you mind directing me to it please

Regards

Connor
I am inquiring about p3d I have the academic license.I am having some issues when running the p3d.exe.When I run the p3d.exe I get an error saying

Couldn’t Load Language Resource DLL
Error File:
Error Code:0x7E (126)
Program is aborting!
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

Have this too, using 4.5 HF1. Even with a M.2 SSD @ 3500 MB/s read I have a lag. I assume the effect is depending on the amount of addon scenery installed.

Dan
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
FredK

Post by FredK »

Hi FredK

No I haven't seen your post on P3Dv4.5 and CPU Core Performance Observations. Do you mind directing me to it please

Regards

Connor

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=134097

Long post, but the bottom-line point is that with the latest versions of P3D I am seeing 100% loading across all 12 cores of my system. I do not remember ever seeing that kind of utilization in earlier versions of P3D where CPU utilization across cores was restricted.

So, it is nice to see that there is improved core utilization on one hand, but on the other hand I am seeing much slower loading of scenery. It is totally counter of what you would expect. So is something amiss as to how it is supposed to work?

No comments from LM about it as yet.