[RESOLVED] Loading Terrain Hangs At 6% After Cloning SSD

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
sab12

[RESOLVED] Loading Terrain Hangs At 6% After Cloning SSD

Post by sab12 »

I am running P3D 4.3.29.25520 in Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134.1
My Nvidia card is a GTX 1060 6GB with the latest driver (418.81)
To the best of my knowledge, all my other device drivers are up to date.

I started having bad blocks appearing on my Intel 1TB SSD. CHKDSK was able to repair well enough to enable me to clone the SSD onto the warranty replacement SSD I received from Intel. I used Intel Data Migration Software in the basic form (i.e. not upgraded to Acronis).

When I attempted to run P3Dv4.3 from the new SSD after the cloning. I had the problem that it would allow me to set up the flight parameters but on starting the flight, it hangs up in Loading Terrain Data at 6% or 7% and goes no further. I let it run all night and it made no progress. I always run P3D as Administrator. I tested with the default F22 at the default airport.

I have tried removing the aircraft that appear to have license issues with changing the SSD (e.g. PMDG 777, Flight1 Citation Mustang Complete). I also tried reinstalling the Flight1 utilities that are licensed to the SSD like UTLIve and GTN Complete.

None of this seemed to help. Except for trying disabling all my add-ons, I haven't tried anything with the scenery yet. I have lots of ORBX which I have been managing through FTX3, PILOTS 2018 FTX, and Fly Tampa Boston and Sydney.

Has anyone had and solved this issue? I am not sure if a reinstall of 4.3 is the best option and not all of my add-ons have been updated to 4.4 yet.

Thanks,

Steve
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: Loading Terrain Hangs At 6% After Cloning SSD

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello Steve,

If Prepar3D launches without any add-ons, reinstalling Prepar3D may not fix the problem. I'd recommend trying to figure out which add-on is the culprit and redownloading/reinstalling the add-on.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
sab12

Post by sab12 »

Hi Brady,

Your reply suggests that the problem I am having is not related to aircraft like PMDG 777 or A2A 182 Skylane or utility add-ons like UTLIve or GTN-Complete or Active Sky. Is this a correct assumption or is any add-on suspect?

I tried deleting the scenery.cfg and letting P3D regenerate it and it hung up at 95% complete. My base P3D installation has a shortcut to something called Delete Generated Files but there is no Generated Files file that I could find.

My second question is how to isolate the sceneries. For those P3D considers as add-ons, do I just uncheck them in the start-up menu? Do I uninstall in Control Panel? For ORBX sceneries, do I uninstall them in FTX3? What do I do with things like FlyTampa Boston or PILOTS FTX 2018 that have no obvious (at least to me) way to uninstall?

If I uninstall/delete everything related to P3D, reinstall with the three P3DF4.0 initial client components I still have, then update with the P3DV4.3 client will that give me a "clean" install to restore scenery and other add-ons to?

Thanks,

Steve
downscc

Post by downscc »

First please do not delete configuration files unless recommended by support.

To remove addon sceneries you can uncheck the addon in the addon or scenery library windows, no need to remove anything. This make it easy to add back the products that were not causing a problem. If you delete configuration files you may have to reinstall products.

The hang at 6% is not uncommon. Are you waiting longer than a couple of minutes to declare it 'broke?' I forget exactly what is happening at 6% but it indicates that it is working and it should continue to progress after a delay.
Dan Downs
KCRP
sab12

Post by sab12 »

Hi Dan,

I have waited as long as overnight but generally waited 1/2 hour or more to see if what I'm trying makes any difference.

Thanks for advice on disabling add-ons and scenery. Hopefully I haven't broken anything......

Steve
elgreco111

Post by elgreco111 »

The 6% problem is a well known issue. It depends which sceneries are loaded especialy photorealistic ones. Deactivating sceneries you do not need on your flight may help. This tool I use is very helpful to configure your sim: https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simu ... starter-ng.
Sometimes I have to wait up to 10 minutes till I am ready to fly.
P3D v 4.5 is now in beta testing this version should fix this issue
Keep flying Robert
My Specs: Win 11 Prof 22H2, I7-12700KF,ASUS ROG STRIX Z690 F Gaming WiFi,MSI Rtx Ventus 4090 24 GB, RAM 32GB G. Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000, 1 TB M.2 Crucial, 1 TB Samsung SSD, 500 MB Samsung SSD, Acer Predator 27''
sab12

Post by sab12 »

After deactivating all my add-ons and all the sceneries I could, the sim would load without hanging. I am now in the process of activating add-ons and sceneries one at a time to see if I can find which one is causing my hanging issue.

Thanks for the heads-up on the configuration tool and the potential v4.5 fix for this issue.

Steve
sab12

Post by sab12 »

After turning add-ons back on one at a time, have determined that they are not my problem.

After systematically adding sceneries back in, I have found that my hang up at 6% problem appears to be associated with the ORBX Southern California regional scenery.

Is the next step in a attempting a fix uninstalling and reinstall the SoCal region using ORBX's FTX3 tool or is there something else to do/try first.

Thanks,

Steve
sab12

Post by sab12 »

I got a solution for this from the Orbx FTX Payware Forum's, Nick Cooper.

In FTX Central 3, I used the Verify Files command for Southern California and this solved my loading problem.

Presume this is something to try for any ORBX scenery having this issue.

Steve