Aviation Flashlights

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
tasev1

Aviation Flashlights

Post by tasev1 »

P3D's focus on pilot training and realistic scenarios is impressive, as is the development of HDR and Dynamic lighting at night. However, this does fall short in one area - practical visibility at night. What do I mean?

Going for a night flight, you want to have a flashlight for the exterior inspection, and you also need a flashlight in the cockpit to see where the darn switches are before power is applied. Relying on mouse memory does not add to the immersion in our training. Also, some pilots may choose to train an electrical failure at night, for which a flashlight is essential!

I think there needs to be some effort put forward to add what I hope is a relatively simple feature in a future P3D update. X-Plane 11 sets a good example by having access to a white and red light in the menu which allows just this function!
amonseg

Re: Aviation Flashlights

Post by amonseg »

Totally agree!! A Flashlight like the one in X-plane is necessary!
F737NG

Post by F737NG »

tasev1 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:37 pm P3D's focus on pilot training and realistic scenarios is impressive, as is the development of HDR and Dynamic lighting at night. However, this does fall short in one area - practical visibility at night. What do I mean?

Going for a night flight, you want to have a flashlight for the exterior inspection, and you also need a flashlight in the cockpit to see where the darn switches are before power is applied. Relying on mouse memory does not add to the immersion in our training. Also, some pilots may choose to train an electrical failure at night, for which a flashlight is essential!

I think there needs to be some effort put forward to add what I hope is a relatively simple feature in a future P3D update. X-Plane 11 sets a good example by having access to a white and red light in the menu which allows just this function!
amonseg wrote: Totally agree!! A Flashlight like the one in X-plane is necessary!

This has been done recently by Lorby-SI. Go to the bottom of this page to download a free flashlight application to use in a VC or external walk-around.

[Caveat: Only works on aircraft that have been specifically designed to use dynamic lighting]
tasev1

Post by tasev1 »

Amazing! Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. Mostly using with A2A aircraft, the PMDG 737/777 AND MJDHC-8.
ejoiner

Post by ejoiner »

Oliver!

The flashlight tool is fantastic! One of my favorite items in XP11. Now I have it in P3D!

Two suggested features if you can think to add.

1. I would like the ability to scale the light from large to small. I find the spot light too small in some instances and in other instances I would like to use the flood light a bit bigger for instance to use in virtual cabin of a military helicopter at night.

2. Can you give the option to select the color? besides white and red, I would like green. and a yellow/amber might also be nice since I am being pushy... :)

Let me know if you would like someone to test this with!

Thanks for all the great adds to this simulation.

Eric
obinder

Post by obinder »

Hello Eric,

Dynamic lights are just standard .fx effect files. You will find them in the same folder where the flashlight addon is installed. The parameters that you are asking about are hard coded into these effects files. It is relatively easy to change them yourself, adjusting the scale and cone angle parameters, and Color Start for daytime color and Color End for night time hue.

A programmatic solution would be awkward. I would have to make additional effects files (and switches in the GUI) for every other light color, and likewise for the different sizes. It would still be hardcoded and it really clutters the GUI.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI
ejoiner

Post by ejoiner »

Hi Oliver,

I saw that this was largely a gui for FX files. I will toy with those for my own use. Still, it would be nice to have a third color option along with red, which is green... :)
ejoiner

Post by ejoiner »

i actually got what I want by changing the color parameters in the White wide FX file to these.

[ParticleAttributes.0]
Color Start=33, 174, 28, 37
Color End=33, 174, 28, 75

I just select white flood lights in the GUI and now I get green lights. Pending any changes to the tool GUI, I will just swap out my original white wide FX file with this modified one whenever I want "white". :)
obinder

Post by obinder »

ejoiner wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 pm i actually got what I want by changing the color parameters in the White wide FX file to these.

[ParticleAttributes.0]
Color Start=33, 174, 28, 37
Color End=33, 174, 28, 75

I just select white flood lights in the GUI and now I get green lights. Pending any changes to the tool GUI, I will just swap out my original white wide FX file with this modified one whenever I want "white". :)

Are green flashlights used in the real world? I remember having one as a kid, that looked kind of military (my father was Air Force). It was a rectangular box with red and green sheets of glass that could be pulled over the lamp, utilizing those flat 4,5V batteries. Must have been around 1976 I think…

LorbyFlashlight version 1.02 has a "Green" option now too.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI
obinder

Post by obinder »

Small Update:

Lorby Flashlight 1.02 b02 has "Green" and "Amber" options now.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI
ejoiner

Post by ejoiner »

Oliver, I have been away for a couple of days on a short holiday. I just saw this tonight and played with it. its GREAT.

Thank you so much for your efforts here. As far as Im concerned its a mandatory add for P3D. Really great. Very similar to X-plane but better, given the color flexibility and the ability to fix the light source. It does a lot to enhance the night lighting especially for those addon planes whose lighting isnt that great.

Well appreciated sir. THANK YOU.

Eric
maajr57

Post by maajr57 »

Rather than having P3D customers suffer all this frustration about things like a flashlight and have to find a solution from somebody like Mr. Lorby, why not make make him an offer to buy the rights to his program and incorporate it into the next version? This would apply to other utilities that these brilliant programmers create and then give away for free for the love of it. Why not buy the rights to incorporate these great ideas into Prepar3d. How about Little Nav Maps? P3D could use some help in that area for sure!