Strange Scenery library behaviour

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
TomazDrnovsek

Strange Scenery library behaviour

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Hi!

I added some scenery in Scenery library by hand (per installation guide) and noticed something very strange going on when I tried to move the scenery up and down the list. One entry was inserted in between the other Add-on entries and the UK2000 entries were switching places. I tried to move it down to the others but there's no way. Is this normal or should I be worried something broke?

The example: Image
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Strange Scenery library behaviour

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

The entries that are disabled are add-on.xml scenery entries and cannot be modified in this screen. Their layers will stay constant so any ordering changes will skip past them. We can look into why certain entries are swapping in this case. Do you see similar behavior if you move entries down?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:45 pm Hello,

The entries that are disabled are add-on.xml scenery entries and cannot be modified in this screen. Their layers will stay constant so any ordering changes will skip past them. We can look into why certain entries are swapping in this case. Do you see similar behavior if you move entries down?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Yes, it just switches place with the last non-"Add-on" entry at the bottom.
I since reinstalled the scenery I manually added to Scenery library and the order is even more messed up. In scenery.cfg (in "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4") noitced very strange numbering:
[Area.286]
Title=FTXAA_ORBXLIBS
Local=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS
Layer=286
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.996]
Title=sloveniax_terrain
Local=E:\SLOVENIAX\sloveniax_terrain
Layer=996
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.1000]
Title=sloveniax_objects
Local=E:\SLOVENIAX\sloveniax_objects
Layer=1000
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.1001]
Title=sloveniax_airports
Local=E:\SLOVENIAX\sloveniax_airports
Layer=1001
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.1002]
Title=LJLJ-Ljubljana-RFSB P3Dv4
Local=D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimMarket\LJLJ-Ljubljana-RFSB P3Dv4\data
Layer=1002
Active=TRUE

I hope there is something that can be done.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Don't use the Scenery Library UI to mix in any order those items added via scenery.cfg and via addon xml files. I suspect you have created a mess trying to do so.

All addon sceneries will be listed in levels above all sceneries added via scenery.cfg. The order they are added is in the order read, for example the order of of the folders and files in the documents folder for P3Dv4 addons.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. This is not FS9 where such things could make a difference. In P3D the order for scenery is irrelevant in most cases. Only exceptions are certain items that need to be at a lower layer such as the preload or stub bgl files.

Also, everytime you run Orbx FTXCentral it is likely to be doing it's own thing depending on how your insertion point options are setup.

In general, the best way for most folks to manage their sceneries is with the Lorby Addon Organizer.
Dan Downs
KCRP
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

downscc wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm Don't use the Scenery Library UI to mix in any order those items added via scenery.cfg and via addon xml files. I suspect you have created a mess trying to do so.

All addon sceneries will be listed in levels above all sceneries added via scenery.cfg. The order they are added is in the order read, for example the order of of the folders and files in the documents folder for P3Dv4 addons.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. This is not FS9 where such things could make a difference. In P3D the order for scenery is irrelevant in most cases. Only exceptions are certain items that need to be at a lower layer such as the preload or stub bgl files.

Also, everytime you run Orbx FTXCentral it is likely to be doing it's own thing depending on how your insertion point options are setup.

In general, the best way for most folks to manage their sceneries is with the Lorby Addon Organizer.
I just added the items via "Add area..." button and they appeared in the middle of Add-on items. I tried to arrange them (shown in pictures I posted) because I have set FTX Central to insert FTX below "sloveniax_terrain" and because I expected all things I add via Add area button should be positioned below all addon.xml stuff. I didn't do anything else.

I now installed Lorby Addon Organizer and it found some duplicate addon.xml things from FSDreamteam and apparently corrected them (deleted duplicates). But it didn't solve the problem. If I now add anything via Scenery Library UI with Ass Area button it adds it to the very top of the list above all addon.xml items, which is also not OK I presume.
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

In Lorby Addon Organizer two are two violet (red?) entries - FSDreamteam Exclude and 0907 Base. Maybe it has something to do with the problem, I don't know.

holi

Post by holi »

I got the same problem earlier by adding sceneries by hand via scenery library.

There is an easy work around.
Just go to programdata-LM-P3Dv4 and delete the content of scenery64index.
During next start all dat files will be rebuid and the sequence of your scenery will be back to normal.
It only happened to me with 4.3!
4.2 was fine.
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

holi wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm I got the same problem earlier by adding sceneries by hand via scenery library.

There is an easy work around.
Just go to programdata-LM-P3Dv4 and delete the content of scenery64index.
During next start all dat files will be rebuid and the sequence of your scenery will be back to normal.
It only happened to me with 4.3!
4.2 was fine.
Thank you!
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Well, I deleted "scenery64index" but that didn't solve my issue.
If I use Lorby Addon Organizer than the layering works but as soon as I make any change directly in P3D v4 Scenery Library the issue is back again.