1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
TomazDrnovsek

1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Simple question. Once and for all... does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync setting in Nvidia Inspector have ANY effect in P3D v4?
elmucki

Re: 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync

Post by elmucki »

when you set it up correct, yes
Windows 11 x64 on a 4TB SSD | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X | TRX40 AORUS Master | 128GB DDR4 3600MHz | 1250W PSU | 2x EVGA RTX 3090 | P3D v5 and MSFS2020 on a 4TB SSD | Custom Corsair Hydro Cooling
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

elmucki wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:51 pm when you set it up correct, yes
What does that mean? Can you elaborate on what is the correct way to set it up? Thank you!

I would like very much if LM would respond since it's a simple question.
shermank

Post by shermank »

Hi Tomaz....

I am not an employee of LM nor connected in any way except as a customer for P3D. I am not even what you would call a techie....but, I have been simming since the mid 1980s.

P3D is more gpu dependent than is FSX, which needs more CPU horsepower to perform to its capability.

assuming you have good hardware to meet the task for P3D, I have gone round and round on this. At present, I have come to believe that it is more important that you set frame rate within the sim to match the refresh rate of your monitor. For example, with a 60hz rate, set your P3D refresh rate to 60. Some people believe 30 to be better because the human eye cannot really see any changes beyond the mid 20s. As for Vsync...I have it turned off.

Also, there is some current thinking to disregard Nvidia Profile settings and use the native settings for your video card. I realize this statement might spawn a lot of debate. I am not interested in arguing, but I am interested in learning. So other points of view may help us all sort out one of the key issues in P3D setup.

Sherm
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

I just want to know if it has ANY effect or not in P3D. That's all.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Who provides support for Nvidia Inspector?

Not developed by Nvidia for their products.
I went to the Nvidia site and did not find anything there.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 pm Who provides support for Nvidia Inspector?

Not developed by Nvidia for their products.
I went to the Nvidia site and did not find anything there.
Seriously, instead of answering a simple question you went there? OK, forget about Nvidia Inspector. The question was never about that.

Does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync setting, where ever you set it (for example in Nvidia Control Panel developed by Nvidia) has any effect in P3D v4?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync setting, where ever you set it (for example in Nvidia Control Panel developed by Nvidia) has any effect in P3D v4?"

I have used the Nvidia control panel but did not find the 1/2 rate option listed.

Possibly I missed it on accident?

Do you happen to know who provides support for Nvidia Inspector?
Best Regards,
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 pm "Does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync setting, where ever you set it (for example in Nvidia Control Panel developed by Nvidia) has any effect in P3D v4?"

I have used the Nvidia control panel but did not find the 1/2 rate option listed.

Are you serious? You never heard of 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync or are you trying to dodge the question? Seriously?
Ok, let's try it like this then...
In Nvidia control panel under "Vertical sync" does the setting "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" have ANY effect in P3D v4?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

TomazDrnovsek wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:02 pm
Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 pm "Does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync setting, where ever you set it (for example in Nvidia Control Panel developed by Nvidia) has any effect in P3D v4?"

Are you serious? You never heard of 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync or are you trying to dodge the question? Seriously?
Ok, let's try it like this then...
In Nvidia control panel under "Vertical sync" does the setting "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" have ANY effect in P3D v4?
No, I never heard of it, never needed to use anything like it.
I just go with the defaults.

However, that is why I wanted to know who provides support for Nvidia Inspector?
Which was part of your original question.
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I just looked in the P3D display settings and the vsync option is On or Off.
I assume that is foe all graphic cards / monitor applications.
Mine is Off.

I assume the Vsync On or Off is what is supported by P3D.
Best Regards,
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm No, I never heard of it, never needed to use anything like it.

However, that is why I wanted to know who provides support for Nvidia Inspector?
But that's not at all what I was asking. I asked a simple question. Does this setting have ANY effect in P3D v4? I have no idea why would someone who doesn't even know this setting exists even attempt to answer the question.

Also, the question really had nothing to do with Nvidia Inspector. I just mentioned it because the majority of P3D users who set 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync do that via Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel. I thought everybody know about this setting. I guess I was wrong. And to answer your question, I have no idea who provides support for Nvidia Inspector.

So, moving on.

Can someone who knows about this setting from LM or who knows what's he's talking about please answer this simple question... Does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync have ANY effect in P3D v4?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

TomazDrnovsek wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:21 pm
Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm No, I never heard of it, never needed to use anything like it.

But that's not at all what I was asking. I asked a simple question. Does this setting have ANY effect in P3D v4? I have no idea why would someone who doesn't even know this setting exists even attempt to answer the question.

Also, the question really had nothing to do with Nvidia Inspector. I just mentioned it because the majority of P3D users who set 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync do that via Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel. I thought everybody know about this setting. I guess I was wrong. And to answer your question, I have no idea who provides support for Nvidia Inspector.

So, moving on.

Can someone who knows about this setting from LM or who knows what's he's talking about please answer this simple question... Does 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync have ANY effect in P3D v4?
I was trying to get some information on it.
I figured I would try a test on my setup.
Best Regards,
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm I was trying to get some information on it.
I figured I would try a test on my setup.
I'm sorry if my response was a bit harsh. I almost couldn't believe that someone wouldn't know about it.
I really don't need you to test it. It's not about that. It's about the technical aspect if is it even possible for it to work or not. I hoped for a straightforward answer, yes or no, from someone from LM. Sadly that didn't happen.
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

You do understand how this thread looks like now, right?