Autogen loading in patches...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
pmb

Re: Autogen loading in patches...

Post by pmb »

AnkH wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 am I have yet to test if using the frame limiter inside p3d and not via nvi really makes a difference
I usually have fps set to unlimited, VSync and TB on and my monitor set to 30 Hz. However, I made a dedicated test where I set the monitor to 60 Hz, fps internally limited to 24 fps, VSync and TB off, yesterday. Autogen still did load in patches when flying along the same route as long as I set autogen draw distance higher than medium.

I don't use NVI any longer at all.

My offer was serious. Perhaps there is indeed "something" (a peculiar setting or some hardware aspect) removing the issue for Rob A. and the like. Albeit I doubt it's just "you have to lower your settings given your hardware". I lowered several settings to the minimum and the issue still persisted, as long as I kept the autogen slider above medium.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
zap737

Post by zap737 »

AnkH wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 am What confuses me is this video of Rob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qSLCP92NoY&t=583s

pmb wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am...Perhaps there is indeed "something" (a peculiar setting or some hardware aspect) removing the issue for Rob A. and the like.

It confused me too initially until I flew exactly the same route with his exact settings. (I have an 8700K with a 1080TI BTW - same as Rob's test)

You don't see the patches of autogen because of the altitude. I have flown the exact same route as Rob at the same altitude and speed at the same settings and I do not get patches at that altitude (7200 ft).

If you fly it at lower altitudes, say 3000 ft, you 100% get the patches.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
pmb

Post by pmb »

zap737 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 am You don't see the patches of autogen because of the altitude. I have flown the exact same route as Rob at the same altitude and speed at the same settings and I do not get patches at that altitude (7200 ft).
This sounds very plausible indeed. I am a (nearly) pure GA/VFR flyer and my usual altitude is just 3000 ft.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
derfsxpilot1

Post by derfsxpilot1 »

I can confirm this ! and it´s driving me nuts !!!!
I have this even at medium draw distance, i have an i7 gtx1060 6gig and 32gig ram and p3d on ssd, so yeah, there you go
jhaley101

Post by jhaley101 »

I've also been experiencing autogen problems but mine is more a case of gradually disappearing autogen. Sharing this as maybe this helps with some piece of the larger autogen problem. At some point, after my autogen completely disappeared, I restarted the sim several times. During loading - the progress bar slows to an unbelievable crawl from 70 to 80 percent - during autogen loading. It finishes several minutes later, but no change. No autogen.

Then I looked in scenery/global/scenery and found vegetation.bgl's that had been turned off. I assumed this had something to do with the dynamic 3D autogen feature that I disabled. For the fun of it, I activated dynamic 3D autogen. My autogen was back but looked that awful minty green (which is why I turned it off in the first place. Then I read somewhere that it's important to turn on reflections for vegetation. I did that and really felt the dynamic trees looked great.

Like to know if

1) a lot of the problems are experienced by users who have dynamic 3D autogen turned off?
2) does reactivating help the problem?
3) don't forget to turn on vegetation reflections, otherwise the trees look awful, IMO.
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

Ok, small update even if no one is really interested: since the release of the updated Aerosoft BUS I did some short haul flights within europe and sorry to say, with this annoying bug, I will have to restrict my flights to daytime. Just yesterday, flying LSZH - EDDF, there was no autogen anymore in front of me. During daylight hardly acceptable, in nighttime it would be absolutely unacceptable. And now to the most annoying fact: this was with autogen draw distance "medium", reduced settings, locked FPS inside P3D on 36FPS and the fact that most of the time, those 36FPS were maintained.

Final verdict after those short haul flights: the autogen loading is totally bugged.
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
snooty83

Post by snooty83 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm Hi Everyone,

We are aware that some users can run into cases where autogen loading can slow down and load in patches when using higher settings. We haven't seen any noticeable difference between v4 versions but due to the large amount of autogen that can draw now there can be performance impacts when raising this along with other settings. Further improving autogen performance, along with other terrain performance improvements, are in the works. Thanks again for your patience and we'll keep you posted with our progress.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
I have a current system i7 8700k graphics card is GTX 1080 TI
32gb Ram installed. I have low attitude. I suppose the rest of the "some people" are not aware of the problem, or they are not writing in this forum. It's a basic problem since P3d 4.0. Please fix this autogen problem. It is terrible.

Greetings Dani
iluvP3D

Post by iluvP3D »

I would like to add that I am experiencing the same issue, since upgrading to P3D4.3. The loading of higher resolution textures does not seem to be happening as fast as it was before, even if you are flying slowly with a simple plane like the A36. Please note that I am using an i7-8700k and 1080Ti.
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

I have a poll up and running over at avsim. So far, 54 people participated, a solid 45 see the exact same issue at least under certain circumstances. That's more than 80% folks. I tend to conclude that the remaining 17% simply do not use high enough settins to observe it or only fly very regional, means no long distances between departure and Arrival. If I simply fly around Switzerland for example, I do not observe the issue...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the additional information. As I mentioned previously we are working to further improve performance with large amounts of autogen. I'm going to lock this topic for now and will update everyone when we have more info.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead